Speculations

ch_nl

As we play right now we will make the play-offs.

Gainey earlier said something about getting a Right handed center for the third line. He also mentioned that we would like to add size.

So I looked up whom might intrest Mr. Gainey.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Adam Mair BUF

May not be of third line material. But he has the size and is defensive minded. Plays for Buffalo in our own division wich is not that good if we would like to get him.

2. Michael Peca NYI

Would be a great addition. But let's face it. He will propably never play for Habs.

3. Bryan Smolinski OTT

Is the right type but might be to old. He's 32.

4. Craig Conroy CAL

Is Calgarys top line center. Not so sure if he would like to be our third line center. And doesn't use is body the way he should.

5. Dave Scatchard NYI

This might be the one. I think Scatchard would fit perfect. Is a poor passer but has the size and is defensive minded.

6. Jason Arnott DAL

Dallas second liner. I don't see him playing in Montreal but never say never.

7 CRAIG DARBY!

I'm a nuts? Well. He fits... But NO!

In our own stands we have Duncan Milroy, Josef Balej and Jonathan Ferland waiting. But I don't think they're centers...

And I don't expect them to be defensive third line centers...

So If I could chose I'd say Gainey should try to get Mair at 483,000 or Dave Scatchard at 1,400,000.

Any other ideas?

I doubt it.

First of all I think they have to be out of the play-off race before they make such a move.

Perreault is an UFA at end of season. And I also think that a pick had to be required.

But once the Isles are not a contender they might deal him if they can have something more promising like a pick or a prospect in return.

Right now I feel that Canadiens can afford to trade a pick in order to improve the team today. We have more prospects than we can handle.

And that's something positive! But Scatchard could be usefull if this is Juneaus last season.

I dont see why the Isles would trade Scatchard , they have no reason to. He's a favourite there , he gets the job done on both sides of the ice , he is physical... He's not too expensive....

Scatchard for Perreault does not help the Isles at all.

New Jersey , now there might be a fit for Perreault... They want another centre , one who can win faceoffs... And even though Perreault has his problems defensively , I can still see it working out in NJ if he is supported by defensive wingers.

Or maybe he shoudl be supported by defensive wingers in Montreal?

He want's to stay. AND I WANT HIM TO STAY! (Said with Jim Carrey's voice from the movie "The Mask")

Scatchard, they would never do it. As puck said, he's doing his job in NY, as a fan favourite and doesn't have a big paycheck.

A player I would love to see in Montreal, if we manage to make the playoffs is Jeff O'Neill. He's having a bad year in Carolina, but face it, he has the tools. He's right-handed and can play all forward positions and he's not that expensive. Because he's an UFA at the end of the year, I could be a risk trading for him, but then again, he's not in the future plans in Carolina and may come cheap.

As for right-handed centers fitting our 3rd line, I can't come up with a good alternative. So as far as I'm concerned we can just speculate, and I think we will be very surprised if/when a trade becomes reality.

From The Ottawa Sun:

- The Columbus Blues Jackets are believed shopping defencemen Luke Richardson and Scott Lachance and forwards Tyler Wright and Trevor Letowski but aren't getting much interest for them.

Letowski: 725,000.

Wright: 900,000.

Letowski may be to small, but he plays with his heart. And he is center and right handed...

Wright is 30 and a leader in Columbus. Shots right and is a center. Bigger than Letowski...

If they are shopped why isn't Gainey intrested?

And from the New York Post:

- The Dallas Stars are trying to find takers for centre Jason Arnott and defencemen Richard Matvichuk and Sergei Zubov.

Arnott... What are we waiting for? Offer something from the mix of first round pick, Sundström, Dackell, Kilger and Rivet.

Originally posted by ch_nl

From The Ottawa Sun:

- The Columbus Blues Jackets are believed shopping defencemen Luke Richardson and Scott Lachance and forwards Tyler Wright and Trevor Letowski but aren't getting much interest for them.

Letowski: 725,000.

Wright: 900,000.

Letowski may be to small, but he plays with his heart. And he is center and right handed...

Wright is 30 and a leader in Columbus. Shots right and is a center. Bigger than Letowski...

If they are shopped why isn't Gainey intrested?

And from the New York Post:

- The Dallas Stars are trying to find takers for centre Jason Arnott and defencemen Richard Matvichuk and Sergei Zubov.

Arnott... What are we waiting for? Offer something from the mix of first round pick, Sundström, Dackell, Kilger and Rivet.

I actually heard (confirm it for me if anyone else saw it... or if I am mistaken) last night during the Flames/Stars game that the Stars put Jason Arnott on waivers earlier in the year (or before the year) and he cleared them. Thats very surprising to me , I know he gets paid over $3mil per year , but he's still a big , somewhat young , powerforward centre. I dunno , maybe I heard wrong.

As for the 2 CBJ guys. Whats the point really? They'd just serve as depth guys with little offensive upside in their games. We're getting Begin back in a few weeks anyways. It would only make sense to acquire them (one of them) if we made space beforehand , or traded a roster player for him.

May be. But I think that we have come to a critical point. We are clearly in the playoff-race.

And I think that we just might have the most brilliant general manager in the NHL.

Gainey has achived so much without doing "big changes".

The Brisebois-thing is great. The pick ups of Begin and Dagenais makes Gainey somekind of a hockey-Einstein.

And I think that a playoff would be great. And that's in two ways.

1. It's always fun to be in the play-offs. It brings well needed money to Montreal and it gives the players some confidence.

2. It's extra important this year since we have Ryder, Ribeiro, Dagenais, Komisarek and all the other prospects. It's my believe that young players learn so much about NHL and hockey in the playoffs. I don't know exactly how to put words on it, but I hope you all understand my point.

So... Gainey said that he would like to add a right handed, physical center for the third line.

It's not like that kind of players are common but there's a few. And 3 of them seems to be available.

Arnott is the ideal. But his salary might be to high.

Wright doesn't have the skills. But he's a great leader. Could replace Rivet?

Letowski has more talent than Wright but he is to small.

That's why I was wondering. If Arnott, Letowski or Wright won't fit. Then who is it Mr. Gainey is looking for?

Eric Desjardins out for two months and the Flyers need a blueliner.

Philadelphia seems to like dealing with the habs.

Chouinard, Recchi, Zubrus, LeClair, Desjardins, Weinrich and all the trades made with Philly.

And I just realized that we have Karl Dykhuis in Hamilton.

Could Karl serve as a two-month stand in for Desjardins?