Carolina Deals Rights To Johnson To La

beliveau1

Win now? They have no chance this year. And Gleason is a good player but no better. He's hardly a big upgrade over Tverdovsky. This is the equivalent of the Canucks trading away Luc Bourdon for Mathieu Dandenault because you've got some D injuries. The trade just sucks.

No it wouldn't be. There's a reason why Jim Rutherford did it and you'll never know. The value of youth is so overrated.

No it wouldn't be. There's a reason why Jim Rutherford did it and you'll never know. The value of youth is so overrated.

Has nothing to do with whether he's young or old. Johnson will almost surely be a top pairing defenceman. That's what they need to consider when dealing him. No way this trade can be seen in a good light. Acquiring Gleason to repeat as Cup champions is a hopeless cause. Waiting for Johnson to develop and then going for a championship has got much better odds. Especially since the Canes seem to come back every 2 years.

I wonder if Johnson has just simply told Carolina to eat NASCAR rubber - that he ain't about to go there?

a la Lindros - but without all the fuss & fanfare.......

If so that put Carolina in a tough bind - not the first time this has happened.

They've tried to sign him a couple of times with no luck, so one has to wonder?

Still a strange deal if you ask me?

I wonder if Johnson has just simply told Carolina to eat NASCAR rubber - that he ain't about to go there?

a la Lindros - but without all the fuss & fanfare.......

If so that put Carolina in a tough bind - not the first time this has happened.

They've tried to sign him a couple of times with no luck, so one has to wonder?

Still a strange deal if you ask me?

I don't see what's so wrong about a guy wanting to finish school first. I gotta disagree with trading a bluechip prospect just because he wants to wait another year or 2 and graduate.

I would guess Carolina feels Gleason will still get better ... although not as offensive as Johnson he's is very good defeinsive defensman, a solid hitter and is only 23/24 ... also I'm thinking that they feel Belanger could do what Matt Cullen did for them last year now that he's gone. they also unloaded Tverdovsky's salary

As stupid as this may sound, for Carolina, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

What I'm meaning is that I agree with calihabsfan about the possible development of Gleason as compared to the potential of Johnson.

As you all know, though Johnson is considered a potential franchise defenseman, it's not at all that rare to see high-end potential players end up floundering for one reason or another... early peaking, poor attitude, injury, etc.

Yes, LA may be getting another Rob Blake but, on the other hand, they could be getting an Aki-Petteri Berg with Tverdovsky... one never really knows. (Berg was picked 3rd overall in the 1995 draft - no mean feat.)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I don't see what's so wrong about a guy wanting to finish school first. I gotta disagree with trading a bluechip prospect just because he wants to wait another year or 2 and graduate.

There is more to it than that most likely......

Never said that was a bad thing. More power to him if he does that!

He has rebuffed their attempts to sign him and may not want to go there at all - who knows.

This is an odd deal when you think of how much upside he has.

As stupid as this may sound, for Carolina, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

What I'm meaning is that I agree with calihabsfan about the possible development of Gleason as compared to the potential of Johnson.

As you all know, though Johnson is considered a potential franchise defenseman, it's not at all that rare to see high-end potential players end up floundering for one reason or another... early peaking, poor attitude, injury, etc.

Yes, LA may be getting another Rob Blake but, on the other hand, they could be getting an Aki-Petteri Berg with Tverdovsky... one never really knows. (Berg was picked 3rd overall in the 1995 draft - no mean feat.)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

yeah as a kings fan too I remember all the "hype" about Aki Berg :puke: .... I think that because Gleason played for the Kings he's not as know as he should be ... he's already a top 4 defenseman ... allthough not very offensive ... he's the kind of player every team would love to have. he's going to be a Matty Nordstrom type ... solid , steady , leader.

There is more to it than that most likely......

absolutely BTH where is your Love for conspiracy theories?

Johnson maybe has a Third testicle that freeks everyone out in the showers!

Seriously I think there is more coming after this trade ... meaning Carolina and LA have agreed to something else in the future... the trade as is far too uneven... Carolina doesnt expect anyone to believe that crap?

So much passion for Johnson and he has never played a game in the NHL. And to think the 'Canes cannot win the cup again is wrong. Nobody expected them to win last season. And in Toronto Leaf fans had their modified parade route ready for their cup contending team featuring highly touted Unibrow Domi but were denied their cup. Its a crapshoot now predicting the finalists, although I can guarantee it won't be leafs!!

Edited by InsaneAVSfan