1st spot or 6th spot?

Dalhabs

Which is really best? 1st spot in the east might face a Rangers team that is hungrier than most teams after missing the playoffs for years. 6th spot will face a team that maybe wouldnt even have made the playoffs if there werent for the division win. If I can pick between NYR, Tampa or Atlanta I would be more pleased with a 6th spot than a 1st spot since we also get to pick earlier in the draft that way... so GO FOR THAT 6th SPOT HABS!!!

:ghg:

Interesting point.

Rangers could really be boosted by Jaromir Jagr. Could, that is... But let's face is. Jagr is a more talanted hockey player than Anson Carter.

And who know's what more desperate things Sather could do before trading deadline.

Atlanta on the other hand will have Heatly back. But Atlanta lack playoff experiense. But so does many of the Habs players...

Tampa is a really good team, but maybe they aren't that good.

But the most important thing must be to MAKE the playoffs. And that means that the Habs needs to fight for every point in every game.

So... If we wan't to go far in the play-offs we will probably have to face the sens or the leafs sooner or later.

If you're wondering who would be best for the Habs to face over the course of a seven game series, then I think you have to look at their strengths and weaknesses and compare them to what the other teams have.

For instance, I'd not want to face the Sens. Not because of their offensive prowess, however, because I think that would be mitigated by solid zone play over the course of a series because the Sens aren't a hitting team and therefore probably wouldn't create numerous chances over and over again. It's their defence that would win the series since it's mobile and strong. Particularly that mobility would negate almost all the Habs offeisve thrust - which is based on speed.

The Devils would also be difficult to play against for that same reason - they have a gfoup of defenders who are really quick and will neutralize the Habs offensive threat. And while the Devils are not necessarily the most offensive team in the league, they play a system and they play it to perfection.

Personally, I'd rather face either the Leafs, the Bruins or the Flyers - in ascending order.

The Leafs have a lot of weapons on both sides of the red line, but they're quickly gaining in talent on the blueline and will probably make a deal to improve once again - therefore giving the Habs a more difficult time.

The Bruins have a molasses defence and a somewhat fractured offence. I don't care that they're a bigger team, the fact is, over a seven game series, our 'waterbug' offense would skate rings around that defence. And while our defence isn't the greatest, the 'Theo' factor combined with an improving defensive corps would neutralize much of the Bruins efforts.

Philly, in my opinion, is the team we'd do best against. They have virtually no defence, and quite honestly, we'd almost do best to open the games up and turn it into pond hockey. While our offensive talent isn't quite up to theirs, the fact they have no real goaltending and sad defenders tells me that we'll be outscoring them over the long haul.

Just my thoughts.

ACF