Bruins @ Habs - 2:00 - Jan 31/04

jl.roberts

logo-nhl-canadiens.gifvs.logo-nhl-bruins.gif

Probable Goalies: Andrew Raycroft vs. Jose Theodore.

8467453.jpg& 8460535.jpg

Time: 2:00 ET

Date: Jan. 31/04

TV: RDS

Radio: CJAD 800, Post-game Team-990

Habs Photos

Player Stats

Game Day Preview

Analysis of the Bruins

Probable Habs Lineup:

The colours signify offensive production as of late; orange being hot, and blue being cold.

38 -- 11 -- 73

20 -- 71 -- 26

37 -- 90 -- 17

25 -- 94 -- 15

44 -- 05

51 -- 43

79 -- 52

Probable Scratches:

08 (healthy), 24 (knee), 46 (concussion), 76 (healthy)

Key Matchup:

3490.gifvs. 1058.gif

Bergeron = Nordique Fan, Ryder = Calder.

Players to Watch:

29609_2.jpg

<B>#22 Begin</B> - Stay healthy this time!

28757_2.jpg

<B>#44 Souray</B> - Some offence please.

Just as I suspected... Kilger sits and Perreault plays. Oh well ... I guess we'll need all those useless neautral zone faceoff wins to help us win tonight. :eyes:

38-11-73

26-71-20

37-90-17

94-22-15

O'Donnell goes after Saku and Sheldon steps in to give him the business!

Ryder makes a beautiful move but finds the post, and Begin crunches Knuble and then laughes off at Gill during the scrum. Koivu was brilliant, Ryder was great, Ribeiro was strong (he threw a great hit) and Souray nailed Bergeron early on.

This is going to be a game folks. Only disapointment, Kilger sitting in favour of Perreault.

:clap: :hlogo:

Why is this game not on SRC??? :?-

I get all set to watch the game, flick it on the french CBC and it's not on! I'm greeted by some old woman playing with string. (It said in the local paper it was on SRC)

Yes, I know it's on RDS but I don't get that channel. Wish I did now. No Habs game on a Saturday just isn't right!

I'm listening on the radio now via the net but it's just not the same.

:ghg:

It has something to do with RDS getting exclusive rights to a certain number of games, if I understand correctly. It's definitely not the same as watching but you can get the period by period recap on the mainpage.

It's a great game so far, Murray scored to make it 1-0 but everyone's been great. Markov, Brisebois, Begin, Ribeiro, Zednik, Koivu, Bulis, Ryder, Langdon, etc.

Souray missed most of the period with 17 PIMs but this is going to be one hell of a third.

It's the end of the first period, the Habs are playing pretty well. They're on a PP that will spill over 1min into the next period.

Koivu stupidly decides to throw a punch after the period is over instead of just heading to the locker room.

This forces Souray to come defend him, and we lose him for 15 minutes. On top of that instead of having 1 min left on the PP with a fresh Souray, Koivu also got a 2min so it'll be 4-on-4 for the first minute... then Boston gets the man advantage.

Boston scores on that man advantage... game winner.

The Habs did their best to recover, but couldn't buy a goal... that Perreault chance in particular, or the Ryder post.

But the turning point is the captain making a selfish play, a stupid play... and we lose a game we shouldn't have lost, and one we could ill-afford to lose.

Funny how nobody feels obliged to come defend Ribeiro in that manner... ah well. I wish next time Koivu makes a stupid play like that, nobody comes to his aid.

P.S. Yes Raycroft was great but he was beat on a few occasions and it was the Habs who found ways not to score... it wasn't all the goalie's doing on this night.

And although Ryder made a few great moves, he needs to learn when to pass... like at the end we win the faceoff, he tries some kind of shot while spinning around instead of giving it to the team's biggest weapon Souray waiting to let one go.

And again, the Habs D not forcing the play enough with time winding down... the reason we very rarely come back in games is because we stay too conservative when we're down.

The Boston goal was a perfect shot... and Theo was perfect aside from that, a shame to waste such a good effort against Boston of all people.

[Edited on 31-1-04 by Habs77]

Habs77,

We lost, so you're turning it into a Koivu vs. Ribeiro type thing, why?

Koivu was great (our best player easily today), Ribeiro was good too; in fact the whole team (aside from the usual suspect) played a good game. We ran into a good goalie, and had some poor success on the powerplay.

We outshot them 36-14, and they had 8 shots in the last two periods. The fact that you pick one penalty by Koivu as the reason we lose is pretty ridiculous IMO. Souray didn't have to defend Saku, but he did because it's common sense to help your best player when he's dealing with a bigger guy, and it also shows that the players clearly have a lot of respect for the man leading them.

Great game by the team. Hawks are going down.

The worst part of the afternoon; seeing Bouillon, Bulis, and Perreault on in the final 1:30.

[Edited on 2004/1/31 by jl.roberts]

Argh... I'm steaming angry after this loss . Sucks to lose to a hot-goalie , then again its not as if Theodore hasnt done this to other teams in the past (More in previous years then this one though) ...

Habs deserved something out of this game , but got nothing! At least we're playing Chicago tomorrow , and then Pittsburgh... anyone other then 2 wins is a disappointment imo.

As for Koivu/Ribeiro , I wouldnt blame the loss on Saku at all. The incident with O'Donnell wasnt his fault , Koivu poked him with his stick as the siren went off , O'Donnell responded , Koivu defended himself , and Souray jumped in. Its just part of the game...

The ref is to blame for giving Souray the instigator penalty , that was just wrong.

Oh yeah , I'd say that Ribeiro/Koivu were equally our best players today ... I just dont see how Koivu was easily our best as JL sees it. Oh well , just opinions ...

Originally posted by puck7x

I wouldnt blame the loss on Saku at all. The incident with O'Donnell wasnt his fault , Koivu poked him with his stick as the siren went off , O'Donnell responded , Koivu defended himself , and Souray jumped in. Its just part of the game...  

Oh no, not another Koivu apologist... I've seen too many today already ;)

O'Donnell has his team killing a penalty, goats Koivu into taking a penalty. Stupid play by Koivu to get sucked in like that... selfish play.

Not only does it cancel out one of only two Habs PP opportunities on the day... but it gives Boston a PP instead on which they score the game winner.

And since our shrimp Koivu can't finish the fights he gets started Souray is forced to get involved and we lose him for a whole period.

But no... god forbid we blame the captain, you guys just drive me nuts. And by guys I mean 95% of Habs fans who can't blame Koivu for anything he does wrong.

P.S. Koivu reminds me of a guy I used to hang with, small bugger but he'd keep getting into fights when we went to bars/clubs... but somehow he'd slip out of there pretty quick and the rest of us were stuck fighting it out against the local gang.

Koivu needs to be smarter, especially when you're on the PP in a tight game for god sakes.

Originally posted by Habs77

Oh no, not another Koivu apologist... I've seen too many today already   ;)

O'Donnell has his team killing a penalty, goats Koivu into taking a penalty. Stupid play by Koivu to get sucked in like that... selfish play.

Oh gimme a break.

I try to see things objectively , I thought you knew that. I'm never easy on Koivu when he makes a mistake or has a bad game , I let him have it.

Cant you just accept it that other people saw the play differently then you did? I'm not making excuses for Koivu at all. On that play I saw it more as Koivu defending himself against O'Donnell then Koivu taking an untimely selfish penalty.

O'Donnell was trying to rough him up, what did you expect Saku to do? Take it?

Like I said , I blame the refs for a lousy call. And my opinion isnt going to change on the play.

He made one 'mistake', even though he simply stood up for himself versus a guy much bigger than him.

You talk about mistakes...

How about CJ putting Bouillon on in the final minute.

Or Ribeiro coasting to the bench resulting in a bad change which had us down a man and led directly to Murray's goal.

And then Perreault hitting the post, followed by Ryder hitting the post.

We had Dagenais putting shot after shot into the heart of Raycroft's jersey. We had Zednik failing to get a shot.

Lastly we had Quintal highsticking a Bruin. Wasn't that a bad penalty; didn't that put us shorthanded?

Fact of the matter is, we played an incredible game against a brilliant goalkeeper. We outshot the team bigtime, yet we're dwelling on *one* mistake, all of which are marginal but are worth pointing out when you single out Koivu in that manner, focus on the bright spots.

As I said, the Hawks are going to be blown apart if we play like that.

:hlogo:

Originally posted by jl.roberts

As I said, the Hawks are going to be blown apart if we play like that.

:hlogo:

The habs have no excuses if they lose to Chicago tomorrow , or for that fact Pittsburgh either.

Winning the next two games is the only acceptable result! Even winning isnt good enough , we should dominate and blowout the opposition in those games. Pittsburgh and Chicago are two of the worst teams (if not the worst) in the NHL ... And two teams who the habs can compete with and/or control physically.

from what I *heard* (damn CBC) the Habs dominated. If they play this way for the rest of the season then they're in the playoffs for sure.

And I doubt that Gainey is going to pull any block buster trade in order to fix the Habs' scoring woes (other than moving Perreault) -- the PP has just got to get going...

Originally posted by jl.roberts

we're dwelling on *one* mistake, all of which are marginal but are worth pointing out when you single out Koivu in that manner, focus on the bright spots.    

Funny how it's a national past time to dwell on such mistakes from other players game after game... but when it's Koivu well it's just wrong.

Kinda silly... no?

You negate a PP by throwing a punch after the period is over, instead give away a PP on which they score the game winner... and force your All-Star defenseman to step in and be lost for a whole period.

Yup, that's as minor as it gets... what was I thinking.

It's all the other players' fault... but Koivu gets an "A" and a big fat :) on his report card.

Works for me. :wall:

Now, if Gauthier were on the team, our PK would have to start really working. He'd challenge Langdon for our PIM leader, and with Langer's lack of ice time, probably take over it too.

I wonder if it'll happen...:eyes:

Koivu and O'Donnell got coincidental shashing minors to end the period. If you watched closely, the two hammered away at each others legs. The powerplay came from Souray's instigation of the fight.

Here's the official scoresheet, it's fairly obvious that's how it was called by the officials.

http://www.nhl.com/onthefly/scoreboard/htm...ts/GS020778.HTM

ACF

It's all the other players' fault... but Koivu gets an "A" and a big fat  on his report card.  

Works for me.  

Here's the official scoresheet, it's fairly obvious that's how it was called by the officials.

Frayed nerves after the Habs fourth loss in five games cause dissention among the faithful. A win over the lowly Hawks could be a welcome elixer to the petulant frenzies of irrational jingoism.

[Edited on 2004/2/1 by habitual_hab]