5 on 5 still a concern

cmac34

As much as Im loving the Habs run right now. And they are playing solid hockey, as Red Fischer wrote, all of the pre-season questions have been answered.

Still, is anyone else concerned about their 5 on 5 play?

Im not nitpicking, its just constructive criticism. It's really our only major weakness.

It should still be looked at though. (And Im sure it is being looked at very closely by the coaching staff).

What do you guys think we can do to improve? Is it a line chemistry thing?

I find in 5 on 5 situations we are often on our heels. We are able to win because our defensive zone coverage is solid, we dont give up quality chances and we've got good goaltending. Still, this is the reason why we are in the negative in goal differential 5 on 5.

If we improve this we'll have a heck of a team. If not though, we could be one souray or kovalev injury away from a slide because our power play goes cold.

On a completely other note: Those Fedorov rumors are the biggest BALONEY ever. That writer knows NOTHING about the Canadiens this year.

I agree, you've raised some valid points.

The problem is that on 5-on-5 situations, the team doesn't generate much offense. It's pretty basic, if you aren't on the attack, then your opponent is.

I may sound like a broken record here, but the second line's to blame really. Their lack of even strength production allows teams to key defensively on the first line while even strength, and although the third line is able to score some, if there were a true secondary scoring capability, you'd see more goals from Montreal in even strength.

Well, anytime your special teams are the best in the league, you're going to have to be blowing out the other team to have good 5-on-5 numbers.

It sucks to see all our leading scorers have negative +/-s though.

The Habs struggles 5 on 5 are two fold.

Yes we are all aware the Canadiens 2nd line is not creating enough offence.

But the bigger issue is converting odd man rushes, it seems the Habs get so many of these each game and are just unable to burry them. If you watch the Sabres they score so many goals in transition, the Habs need to learn to do this. However when the Habs are on the PK and get odd man rushes to convert a lot of those hmmmm something to ponder.

But the bigger issue is converting odd man rushes, it seems the Habs get so many of these each game and are just unable to burry them. If you watch the Sabres they score so many goals in transition, the Habs need to learn to do this. However when the Habs are on the PK and get odd man rushes to convert a lot of those hmmmm something to ponder.

I agree with you there. Seems like the Habs player that enter the offensive zone on a 2-1 always shoot. It was great to see Souray set up Streit last time. Would be great to see more goals on 2-1.

Bang on

I agree, you've raised some valid points.

The problem is that on 5-on-5 situations, the team doesn't generate much offense. It's pretty basic, if you aren't on the attack, then your opponent is.

I may sound like a broken record here, but the second line's to blame really. Their lack of even strength production allows teams to key defensively on the first line while even strength, and although the third line is able to score some, if there were a true secondary scoring capability, you'd see more goals from Montreal in even strength.

There's capability and then there's a genuine threat.

The Habs may not be scoring a lot of 5-on-5 goals right now but they're generating pressure in the offensive zone which in turn, generates power play opportunities. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the Habs sort it out 5-on-5 just like everyone else but when the power play can get it done so efficiently (and they're not conceding power play goals), why the great concern?

Be concerned about 5-on-5 when the power play dies and the penalty kill turns to sh*t.

The 5 on 5 problem would be solved if the Kovalev/ Samsonov line could get their act together and for starters, shoot more, and dance around with the puck less. Plekanec doesn't seem to be the answer and although I was orginally against it, maybe moving Higgins down to try and get those two guys going isn't a bad idea. Latendresse didn't look out of place on that top line, and Higgins can be re-united with Koivu and Ryder on the powerplay.

But the key to the 5 on 5 for me is to get the 2nd line producing. So far, they've been rather horrible. If Samsonov and Kovalev could get going, they could easily carry this team for a couple weeks offensivley. That just hasn't happened yet. Scary to think what could have been, had they been producing all along.

I'm not sure what team you guys are watching but before the penguins game, the Habs are always shorthanded more then the opposition.

Also i'll agree and disagree with a previous poster, they do get numerous odd man rushes and never finish. The problem is they DON"T shoot and look for the perfect play and always get the pass picked off.

Example: The last game against Buffalo, 3 2 on 1's in the first period. 0 shots.

Our 5-on-5 play is very average, true. Really, the only line we have that is consistantly good even strength are Zhogin's Heroes. We do most of our scoring with the PP and generate most of our momentum - odd as it sounds - on PK. But this has become a special team's league - having great 5-on-5 play is great, but if your PP and PK are bunk you're not going to succeed in this league. We don't take a lot of chances offensivly 5-on-5 because Carbo wants the boys to do their best NOT to get scored on and wait for a PP to gain the upper hand; criticize it if you like, but it's gotten us the 2nd-best record in the entire Eastern Conferance, so it must be working.

Don't fix what ain't broke...

i've seen a number of occasions of that already in the buffalo game tonight...

a bad pass, a shot to the goalie's chest, a broken play, etc...

the thing is, i also see that by buffalo so it's probably moot...

GO :hlogo: GO!