HABS vs DEVILS (Gamethread)

puck7x

Ward scores on PP late in game... HABS WIN!!! 2-1

5 in a row!

Credit to the habs for staying disicplined tonight, we did not allow the Devils to get one PP. I'm sure Burns (already complaining) and the Devils fans are going to say the refs helped us, but thats BS... The Devils got away with alot of stuff that should of been called, if anything the refs helped them

:ghg:

Im happy like hell now... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This team is just so lovely. Finally after all these bad years this team is starting to play great.

Brodeur 1st star... Not so strange is it?

Oh baby what a win after all that bs hooking, tripping, interference on every single play by the devils it had gotten sick by the end of the game.

This is a huge win because we just beat the goaltender we probably have the most trouble with in Montreal.

Some staggering info during the second period in terms of officiating...

4:11 Montreal Craig Rivet: 2 Minutes for Tripping Brian Gionta

4:11 New Jersey Brian Gionta: 2 Minutes for Diving

..???

How the hell can this happen? ITs either a trip, or a dive.. NOT BOTH.

I can't believe Burns can complain about the refs, Habs easily could have had 3 other PPs on blatant trips/hooks.

Another exciting win, this game was very good considering what i thought was coming when you play the Devils. Only 2 back of the Devils for 6th!

Originally posted by Quebecois

I can't believe Burns can complain about the refs, Habs easily could have had 3 other PPs on blatant trips/hooks.

Another exciting win, this game was very good considering what i thought was coming when you play the Devils. Only 2 back of the Devils for 6th!

I was thinking the same thing... NJ really can't complain on this night, they were simply outplayed most of the night and when that happens you end up taking penalties.

Especially at the end, NJ was lucky to only get 2 calls against them.

There were the same "homer" accusations about the refs in the Carolina game when the Koivu hook at the end wasn't called for a Carolina penalty shot.

We've been screwed enough ourselves, I would feel bad that calls are finally going our way for a change.

Originally posted by Habs77

I was thinking the same thing... NJ really can't complain on this night, they were simply outplayed most of the night and when that happens you end up taking penalties.

I also agree. Habs could of gotten alot more PP's in this game, the Devils did not get any PP's because the habs did not deserve any.... It wasnt a screw job by the refs like Burns thinks, it was just one of those rare occasions where a team plays an entire clean game of hockey...

Also... Remember last year vs Devils? Hackett run over behind net, Friesen scores? Therrien and Andre Savard explode after game, Burns hold back Savard... Well Burns looks pretty stupid after that, cause he just made an ass out of himself too.

[Edited on 2004-3-2 by puck7x]

Solid performance. Despite the brillant effort by the forwards and D, THeo was a big reason for the win. He made the key saves and didn't make any error to give an easy goal (like it often used to happen... back to thibault, hackett). Especially this year, Theo's concentration is unbelievable when he stays in his net. He kept us on the game and finally Ward scored a big goal by lifting the puck on his backhand.. not an easy play.:ghg: :/)

Originally posted by puck7x

Also... Remember last year vs Devils? Hackett run over behind net, Friesen scores? Therrien and Andre Savard explode after game, Burns hold back Savard... Well Burns looks pretty stupid after that, cause he just made an ass out of himself too.

Actually I don't think he made an "ass" out of himself... he had nowhere near the meltdown Therrien and then AS had last year.

Burn just looked at the refs, gestured fake applause for 2 seconds, then signaled to his players to stop yapping at the refs and get off the ice.

I thought he made his point without looking stupid actually... although he just happend to be wrong on this one :)

I love how the NJ players after the game kept complaining that the penalties differential shouldn't be that high... as if that's a rule. As if it doesn't matter how many penalties you actually deserve, just make sure you even it out even if the other team does nothing wrong.

I mean what the hell is that. If anything, the evening out of penalties instead of just calling the game they see it is precisely what's wrong with the NHL.

On this one noght they finally didn't play that game, and the fans and NHL came out big winners... and the team that deserved to won.

Couldn't have worked out any better ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------

As for Ward, he's a keeper...

He's had a few serious injuries that have have simply ruined his season, but he showed what he was made of last year in the Bulldogs' playoff run.

He really took a leadership role on the team, and came up big in bog situations.

And the rare times he's been healthy this year, he's had a real impact when he's gotten good minutes.

With Sundstrom, Dackell, Juneau, Perreault, possibly Kilger on their way out after the season... he should have a regular 3rd line role and really establish himself.

I would not be inclined to include him in any deadline deals to improve the team for the playoffs.

Originally posted by Habs77
Originally posted by puck7x

Actually I don't think he made an "ass" out of himself... he had nowhere near the meltdown Therrien and then AS had last year.

Burn just looked at the refs, gestured fake applause for 2 seconds, then signaled to his players to stop yapping at the refs and get off the ice.

I thought he made his point without looking stupid actually... although he just happend to be wrong on this one :)

I love how the NJ players after the game kept complaining that the penalties differential shouldn't be that high... as if that's a rule. As if it doesn't matter how many penalties you actually deserve, just make sure you even it out even if the other team does nothing wrong.

I mean what the hell is that. If anything, the evening out of penalties instead of just calling the game they see it is precisely what's wrong with the NHL.

On this one noght they finally didn't play that game, and the fans and NHL came out big winners... and the team that deserved to won.

We'll, I still think he looked pretty silly with the gesture, I mean come on... Did he watch the same game as everyone else? The refs if anything favoured his team, his applause should be sincere and not a mock, he should be thanking them for not putting his team down on more occasions.

I absolutely agree about the complaining the Devils were doing, your right... Where is it written that penalties should be kept even between both teams? ... I'm so sick inconsistant officiating in the NHL , and all this situational-calls bullshit......

Just call the games by the rulebook for 60 minutes (+ OT :) ) , and the league would improve a whole lot.