Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

We've had quite a few dumb baseball injuries this year, from the walk-off celebration to the pie in the face but this one may take the prize for dumb injury of the year.

New York Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez suffered a torn ligament in his right thumb while allegedly striking the grandfather of his children last week at Citi Field, a team official said, and he is done for the season.

Suffice it to say, the Mets are looking to void his contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5468863

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Something that didn't get any publicity in the Giants' World Series win: Former Expos manager Felipe Alou got his first career World Series ring in an illustrious 54-year career as he holds a Special Assistant with San Francisco. Congrats, Felipe. :clap:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Opening Day was yesterday, it didn't take long for the Nationals to fall to the basement, failing to score a run. How sad is it that Livan Hernandez was their opening day starter; he was old with the Expos. Speaking of former Expos, a lot of them moved around this year; here's the quick list off the top of my head:

Scott Downs, Toronto to Anaheim

Jon Rauch, Minnesota to Toronto

Chad Cordero, Seattle to Toronto (minor league deal)

Juan Rivera, Anaheim to Toronto

Nick Johnson, Yankees (?) to Cleveland (minor league deal)

Matt Stairs, Philadelphia to Washington (I wasn't even aware he played for Montreal until he mentioned it in an interview yesterday)

Vladimir Guerrero, Texas to Baltimore

Luis Ayala, Colorado (minors) to Yankees

Might be a couple others that I missed (as I said, this is from the top of my head and I don't follow MLB outside of the Jays a lot) but probably not many as I don't think there are too many former Expos still kicking around MLB. Seems to be a bit more buzz around baseball this year, especially with rumblings that there may be a 2nd wildcard team next season. Hope springs eternal in April...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The infamous Jeffrey Loria strikes again. The solution to solving attendance woes in Florida is apparently to eliminate all the cheap seats and create a greater ambiance by effectively cutting over half the seats out and now having one of the most expensive 'cheap seats' in MLB. No, let's look at this for what it really is: excessive cheapness as now they can lay off some staff workers and security people. As a former Expo fan, I take some joy in watching him pull stunts like this with the Marlins; rather than just being completely anti-Montreal like we all thought, maybe he just really is that dumb.

Here's the whole story: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/marlins-close-upper-deck-can-loria-admit-fault/

As sad as it is in hockey, baseball exaggerates the trade deadline to my full aggravation. It is practically impossible for anyone to be mathematically eliminated by the deadline with approx 50 games left. Wilner will impress upon anyone who will listen that the Jays are still in the hunt. It will be interesting to see if AA will be drinking the Kool-aid.

As sad as it is in hockey, baseball exaggerates the trade deadline to my full aggravation. It is practically impossible for anyone to be mathematically eliminated by the deadline with approx 50 games left. Wilner will impress upon anyone who will listen that the Jays are still in the hunt. It will be interesting to see if AA will be drinking the Kool-aid.

MLB's deadline bugs me primarily because unlike the NHL, it's not really a deadline. There are numerous trades after July 31st (some that the Jays are generally in too), as long as the player goes through the waiver process first. I wouldn't read into Anthopoulos holding onto veterans as a sign that he thinks the Jays are in it but rather that he's holding on for the draft picks. Guys like Francisco, Dotel, Rauch, even Frasor's re-signing were all done with free agency in mind as all will qualify for Type A or B. Shawn Camp also is a free agent and the last I'd seen, he too qualified. If they're not moved, it'll be because they couldn't get value greater than the sandwich picks each would fetch if they left through free agency. That's what happened with Downs and Frasor in particular last year, Gregg too to some extent.

I would think they'll look to move at least one reliever out (especially with Janssen coming up for Tuesday) - probably Dotel - while trying to find a move for someone like Patterson so that they can move Bautista back to the outfield with Lawrie set to return in a few weeks. Beyond that, I'm not expecting a whole lot to happen for the Jays.

MLB's deadline bugs me primarily because unlike the NHL, it's not really a deadline. There are numerous trades after July 31st (some that the Jays are generally in too), as long as the player goes through the waiver process first. I wouldn't read into Anthopoulos holding onto veterans as a sign that he thinks the Jays are in it but rather that he's holding on for the draft picks. Guys like Francisco, Dotel, Rauch, even Frasor's re-signing were all done with free agency in mind as all will qualify for Type A or B. Shawn Camp also is a free agent and the last I'd seen, he too qualified. If they're not moved, it'll be because they couldn't get value greater than the sandwich picks each would fetch if they left through free agency. That's what happened with Downs and Frasor in particular last year, Gregg too to some extent.

I would think they'll look to move at least one reliever out (especially with Janssen coming up for Tuesday) - probably Dotel - while trying to find a move for someone like Patterson so that they can move Bautista back to the outfield with Lawrie set to return in a few weeks. Beyond that, I'm not expecting a whole lot to happen for the Jays.

Holy cow! An intelligent baseball conversation. Good Show. I have to believe that if somebody lost their catcher that Molina would be a prime target with the numbers he is putting up. I agree that a team would have to overpay what the Jays would receive in compensation for who you forementioned. I believe teams will be desperate for pitching especially starting pitching. I have no problem moving Reyes or Villy. I am not sure Davis is a sure thing yet, but I can handle him in the ninth hole just so we have somebody that can play center. Encarnation may have value. I think it would be down right stupid to hold these guys if you can get value as mentioned.

I'd have to think Molina could be trade bait and I'm sure there'd be interest, especially considering he's hitting way over his career averages. He is though, right on the cusp of being a Type B free agent (just behind Varitek in Boston) which means there could be a draft pick option with him as well, assuming he declined arbitration. If the Jays think he'd accept arbitration, then they might move him. I could honestly see him re-signing for 1 more year though.

Reyes doesn't hold a whole lot of value (but I too would move him, plenty of 5th starter options in the minors) I don't think while Villaneuva I think still has 3 years of team control left. I'm not a huge fan of him in the rotation but as a long man out of the bullpen, I'd keep him around for sure. Davis has another acceptable year on his deal while Encarnacion has a decent option (I think $3.5 mil). As a result, both could be moved although I think Davis sticks around with the CF of the future (Gose) being a couple more years away.

I'd have to think Molina could be trade bait and I'm sure there'd be interest, especially considering he's hitting way over his career averages. He is though, right on the cusp of being a Type B free agent (just behind Varitek in Boston) which means there could be a draft pick option with him as well, assuming he declined arbitration. If the Jays think he'd accept arbitration, then they might move him. I could honestly see him re-signing for 1 more year though.

Reyes doesn't hold a whole lot of value (but I too would move him, plenty of 5th starter options in the minors) I don't think while Villaneuva I think still has 3 years of team control left. I'm not a huge fan of him in the rotation but as a long man out of the bullpen, I'd keep him around for sure. Davis has another acceptable year on his deal while Encarnacion has a decent option (I think $3.5 mil). As a result, both could be moved although I think Davis sticks around with the CF of the future (Gose) being a couple more years away.

I expect you have read today's articles from the Blue Jay' web site because that seemed to be somewhat what you were saying in your opening blog. I just think AA is just posturing for a position of we don't have to do anything so if you want somebody you have to pay (basically what both of us has stated)My dilemma with the dead line is that after that date you have a convuluted route to trading, where you loose most of your suitors, therefore your leverage. I would add Hill, Loewen and Cooper and even Litsch to the list of suspects.

I expect you have read today's articles from the Blue Jay' web site because that seemed to be somewhat what you were saying in your opening blog. I just think AA is just posturing for a position of we don't have to do anything so if you want somebody you have to pay (basically what both of us has stated)My dilemma with the dead line is that after that date you have a convuluted route to trading, where you loose most of your suitors, therefore your leverage. I would add Hill, Loewen and Cooper and even Litsch to the list of suspects.

I haven't read an article from the Jays' site in weeks actually. From this list of players, I think Hill is certainly a candidate (someone might want him as a reclamation project) though that would leave the Jays with McDonald/McCoy at 2nd. :1vomit: I don't think Loewen has a whole lot of value, he's out of minor league options; although he's hitting well in Vegas...who isn't? Cooper didn't show much in his earlier stint but as a former 1st rounder and good PCL numbers, he could be a piece somewhere. Litsch...I'm not sure. He seems like the ideal 5th starter to me but with the likes of Drabek, Stewart, McGuire, and Alvarez all AA or higher, they'll need to make room which means he could go.

I haven't read an article from the Jays' site in weeks actually. From this list of players, I think Hill is certainly a candidate (someone might want him as a reclamation project) though that would leave the Jays with McDonald/McCoy at 2nd. :1vomit: I don't think Loewen has a whole lot of value, he's out of minor league options; although he's hitting well in Vegas...who isn't? Cooper didn't show much in his earlier stint but as a former 1st rounder and good PCL numbers, he could be a piece somewhere. Litsch...I'm not sure. He seems like the ideal 5th starter to me but with the likes of Drabek, Stewart, McGuire, and Alvarez all AA or higher, they'll need to make room which means he could go.

This year isn't important other than evaluating what they got. It doesn't matter who plays second. This is the window to get the most for any asset that isn't in the long term plan. If they were worried about this year they would have never traded starting pitching (Marcum)top of the rotation pitching I might add for a position player that to date they have left in the minors. Stick with the plan and put the pieces together next year.

This year isn't important other than evaluating what they got. It doesn't matter who plays second. This is the window to get the most for any asset that isn't in the long term plan. If they were worried about this year they would have never traded starting pitching (Marcum)top of the rotation pitching I might add for a position player that to date they have left in the minors. Stick with the plan and put the pieces together next year.

The big issue with Hill is who wants him at the 2 year, $16 million option that has to be exercised on his deal. Yes, he is Type B eligible but as he's likely to accept arbitration, the draft pick bonus isn't there. As I said, someone may want to take a flyer on him but it wouldn't be for much of a return. They may be better off hoping that he turns it around in Toronto and is willing to sign for a deal worth less than the options.

The big issue with Hill is who wants him at the 2 year, $16 million option that has to be exercised on his deal. Yes, he is Type B eligible but as he's likely to accept arbitration, the draft pick bonus isn't there. As I said, someone may want to take a flyer on him but it wouldn't be for much of a return. They may be better off hoping that he turns it around in Toronto and is willing to sign for a deal worth less than the options.

I agree with that assessment of Hill. Currently his lack of production is affecting his defense. The problem is that you can't carry two slugs in the line-up and hope to be successful. To me it comes down to, do you want to look for a center fielder or a second baseman. I believe you are going to have to move one or the other to be successful.

I agree with that assessment of Hill. Currently his lack of production is affecting his defense. The problem is that you can't carry two slugs in the line-up and hope to be successful. To me it comes down to, do you want to look for a center fielder or a second baseman. I believe you are going to have to move one or the other to be successful.

I keep hearing rumblings that AA is not interested in futures which would be huge mistake. The non pretenders want to take on assets and not give up anything that is good because they are contending. All AA has to do is gather up the futures and trade them when he is ready. Its not likely he will get a star player unless he pays a premium.

I keep hearing rumblings that AA is not interested in futures which would be huge mistake. The non pretenders want to take on assets and not give up anything that is good because they are contending. All AA has to do is gather up the futures and trade them when he is ready. Its not likely he will get a star player unless he pays a premium.

Depends on how you interpret the word 'futures'. Brett Lawrie and Asher Wojciechowski both qualify as quality future pieces, but one is in AAA, the other at A. I think they'd take a Lawrie type player in a trade, someone who is MLB ready or will be next year but not someone in low-A ball that's 3 or 4 years away. They sense their time is in a couple of years (once Lawrie, Gose, Drabek, etc all get acclimated full time with the Jays) and would be looking to find complementary pieces to fit that timeline.

Depends on how you interpret the word 'futures'. Brett Lawrie and Asher Wojciechowski both qualify as quality future pieces, but one is in AAA, the other at A. I think they'd take a Lawrie type player in a trade, someone who is MLB ready or will be next year but not someone in low-A ball that's 3 or 4 years away. They sense their time is in a couple of years (once Lawrie, Gose, Drabek, etc all get acclimated full time with the Jays) and would be looking to find complementary pieces to fit that timeline.

I think you limit yourself if that's AA's thinking. I still think they are several pieces away and will be hard press to even compete next year. I see you have started a CFL thread. And God please bring back football!

I think you limit yourself if that's AA's thinking. I still think they are several pieces away and will be hard press to even compete next year. I see you have started a CFL thread. And God please bring back football!

The Jays have a boatload of prospects in either low-A or short season ball, probably too many as it is. That's why I think they may shy away from the lower level guys as they have enough to promote from within. Short-sighted thinking to a degree

The CFL thread has been there for a while, just doesn't seem like anyone other than me and a couple others periodically want to post in it. If by football you mean NFL, it'll be a while yet, the deal isn't going to be done tomorrow, still a few other things that need to be settled apparently.

The Jays have a boatload of prospects in either low-A or short season ball, probably too many as it is. That's why I think they may shy away from the lower level guys as they have enough to promote from within. Short-sighted thinking to a degree.

The Jays certianly sift through a lot of players in a years time. With the number of players they drafted and are still signing undrafted, I don't get the sense that they are concerned about too many prospects. My sense about futures is that AA wanted talent almost ready for the show, that he wants to add to the ball club almost immediately. Therefore what I mean by futures are prospects that have good talent but still are away from the show for a year or so. Extremely short-sighted if you ask me.

The Jays certianly sift through a lot of players in a years time. With the number of players they drafted and are still signing undrafted, I don't get the sense that they are concerned about too many prospects. My sense about futures is that AA wanted talent almost ready for the show, that he wants to add to the ball club almost immediately. Therefore what I mean by futures are prospects that have good talent but still are away from the show for a year or so. Extremely short-sighted if you ask me.

I'm not so sure it's that he wants MLB ready talent to compete next year but rather to get the core of the team developing together and getting through with their growing pains. A player at AAA that's major league ready still has 6 years of team control (and if they were to be called up right away would avoid Super II status), I would think they'd be looking for them to really contribute in a couple of years or so when they think it's their time to contend.

I was looking at the stats today and noted Molina's .315 average. His career high in any other year is .271. If ever there was a time to sell high, this has to be it. (Although as I've said before, I could see the Jays wanting him back next year.)

I'm not so sure it's that he wants MLB ready talent to compete next year but rather to get the core of the team developing together and getting through with their growing pains. A player at AAA that's major league ready still has 6 years of team control (and if they were to be called up right away would avoid Super II status), I would think they'd be looking for them to really contribute in a couple of years or so when they think it's their time to contend.

I was looking at the stats today and noted Molina's .315 average. His career high in any other year is .271. If ever there was a time to sell high, this has to be it. (Although as I've said before, I could see the Jays wanting him back next year.)

Exactly. I would be inclined to play Molina a little more which would be counter to what they are trying to achieve, but I think you must reward good preformance. There are rumors out their that the Jays are interested in Slowey and Bell. These would be reclaim projects who have lost favour with their current clubs and should be purchased on the cheap, with the aim of at the very least rendering a compensary pick.