16th according to TSN, 2nd Overall.

Habby1197

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps they share the same view as me that this team has been pretty lucky to have the record they do (see my latest post). 16 sounds too low but I don't know if they are in the top 10. I'd put them about 5th in the east so 10th overall doesn't sound like too much of a stretch. Being 2nd in the standings doesn't mean the Habs are the 2nd best team in the league. That judgement can only be made at season's end. It could happen but I still think some teams are going to climb ( Philli, Tampa, Boston in the east) and that the habs are going to come down to earth a bit.

I know that there has already been plenty of discussion on what these rankings are evaluating- performance to date or team potential. I value a little of both in team rankings, I think that's the most accurate way to assess teams in this new NHL.

A ranking of 16th overall, to me, suggests that 'team potential' HAS to be the main criteria by which TSN forms they're rankings

HOWEVER

Mark Napier is being far too modest!

I fully expect the Habs to, at some point, slump badly; only natural for a young, developing team. We're still building here people;)!! BUT this is still a very talented hockey club. Despite the 'Analysts' pre and early season predictions this hockey club might just be a top 4-5 team in the East. Considering their start puts them 2nd-4th in the standings (based on strength of schedule and games played) I think MN's evaluation of 10th is still unreasonably low.

The Habs have, so far, given their following every reason to be excited.

In an industry that hails to the 'what have you done for me lately' principle, the Habs have produced!

These guys have proven over ten games they are one of the top teams in the league!!

Put 'em wherever you may on a website they are still number 1 in this chumps' heart... hehe

Go Habs Go!

That the Habs finished BETTER than 16th overall in 03-04, and are obviously improved relative to that team, shows what a pile of steaming panda-poo that ranking is. This team, while clearly not a #2 overall club, is knocking on the door of the top-10 by virtue of its exceptional overall depth at forward positions. Of course, a major injury to our D could change that picture (God forbid).

And just to add to the paranoia factor here: does anybody believe that if the Leafs were to ice the exact same lineup as the Habs, TSN would rank them 16th? Feh.

I've watched a lot of Boston games (being in boston and all) and I watch every habs game (thanks to Center Ice package) - and I've got to say...I'll play them any day. They are so slow and sluggish out there. Last night both games were on and every time I went to the Boston game I had to slap my face to stay awake...they were extremely lucky to be in the game with the Islanders...and we were solidly outplaying the Panthers (most of the time)...

Anyhow - I guess the point I'm making is why on God's green earth is Boston STILL ranked above Montreal!?!? We're in first and they're in last in the division...I know it's only 5 points, but we've beaten them twice, and well...THEY SUCK!!!!!!!

One other thing about the rankings - I know they've been discussed, but seriously - what are they there for?

To me they are an indication on how teams are performing thus far...and weekly analysis is a great gauge, if you actually consider the facts. It's not like we're beating AAA clubs out there

I think the NHL has it in for the habs too! I was busy so I wasn't able to watch last game, but I checked the score on the scoreboard of NHL.com around the end of the game and it said 4-3 final for Florida. They counted us out before the game was over. Later in the car on the way home I learned of Begin and Ryder's heroics. Somebody wants the habs to lose. ;)

Toronto Sports Network's NHL coverage is like the WWF, a bunch of guys trying to look serious but it's all for the fans.

They didn't have a Halloween party at TSN, for them every day of the season is dress-up-and-pretend time!

I wonder how many leaf fans actually believe in TSN? IN the Easter Bunny?

hehehe

A good test will be this weekends contests with Buffalo. THere both doing well, and if one comes out with a decided advantage it'll be a good indication of where the teams stand.

I'd be nice to see Montreal play a few games against an Ottawa, Carolina, Tampa, Nashville and Detroit like teams to see where they stand.

Originally posted by kaos

A good test will be this weekends contests with Buffalo.  THere both doing well, and if one comes out with a decided advantage it'll be a good indication of where the teams stand.

I'd be nice to see Montreal play a few games against an Ottawa, Carolina, Tampa, Nashville and Detroit like teams to see where they stand.

Yeah, Buffalo is gonna be a good test. Ryan Miller got injured in practice today. And Buffalo's lossing (maybe lost by now) to Ottawa 10-4. It'd be nice to get 3 points outta the weekend.

Can't wait to finally see the Habs next Thursday when they come to Pittsburgh, my first game in 2 years....

Will Danis play at all this weekend, and if so, which game?

impossible for us to know now who gets the starts in the back-to-backs

2 theories

1) Play top-goalie first. Start the series with a bang, establish dominance.

2) Play top goalie second. Players will be more tired, allow more breaks, etc...

Originally posted by Habby1197

Gotta love TSN, do they ever hate us or what?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=549&hubname=

We're first in the east, 2nd only to the Red Wings overall.

[Edited on 2005/11/2 by Habby1197]

All I can say is: pffffffffffffffff............. :eyes::D:eyes::D:eyes:

Anything less than three points is a bad weekend. A split is no good if we want to stay in the top teir of the East.

Start Theo first. There will probably be more shots against on Friday becuase the home team gets last change which means Buffalo will have the line advantage.

Start Danis on Saturday. Montreal will be at home and should come out flying.

Seriously, between the two games I expect the habs to score approx. 12 times.

Friday 5-2 win

Saturday 7-3 win

TWO BIG WINS!!

You really expect the Habs to score 12 goals this weekend, and be +7 also? Wow. They've barely won any games by more than a goal and now there going to play one of the better teams in the east.

Nice wishfull thinking.

Buffalo has always given us trouble, for some reason - it's going to be a battle. I've had the misfortune of going to Buffalo (!) to see several games vs. the Habs in the last few years, and the result is usually not in our favour. Buffalo will be looking to bounce back from the ass-kicking they got last night.

Looking at the league as a whole and our division in particular, I don't think there will be many easy wins, if any. There is some talent on every team, and we're not Ottawa. It will come down to hard work, the small battles, and giving 110% (once the cliches started coming, I couldn't stop!).

Originally posted by Mont Royale

Buffalo has always given us trouble, for some reason - it's going to be a battle.  I've had the misfortune of going to Buffalo (!) to see several games vs. the Habs in the last few years, and the result is usually not in our favour.  Buffalo will be looking to bounce back from the ass-kicking they got last night.  

Looking at the league as a whole and our division in particular, I don't think there will be many easy wins, if any.  There is some talent on every team, and we're not Ottawa.  It will come down to hard work, the small battles, and giving 110% (once the cliches started coming, I couldn't stop!).

Being from Buffalo I've been to way too many games where Buffalo kicks our ass. (The worst being the 4 game sweep in the playoffs) But two years ago I went to a game in March with my French class, of course we lost, but my friend and I held up a sign that said "Maybe next year Sabres" in the lobby after the game. People were pissed.

:lol:

I wonder why you guys are all questioning us right now, we are second in the league, yes ottawa has played less games so they'll be ahead of us once they play, but for right now were a top 5 team. Look at how we played against ottawa, we are really the only team who has given them a good run, besides the teams that somehow beat them. Detroit is good, and so is vancouver, but look at the division they play in, weve had a tougher sceduale. Right now ottawa is the team, carolina has to be up there, so are we, detroit(even though they havent played great teams) and then theres the rest of the pack. Nashville is over rated.

GO TAMPA BAY!!! If Ottawa loses against the defending champs, Canadiens can keep pace with the Senators...

That would be sweet. I would love to force TSN into giving us a top four power ranking, cause they would look really stupid if they didn't and the rest of the sites are putting us at no 2 or three.

Whatever, they look stupid enough as it is.