Bulldogs

Bacchus

Bulldogs are silently turning things around recently. 3 straight convincing wins in a row (2 against Omaha, and 1 against Toronto). They won 5-0 last night. Halak has been solid. Grabovski has started to get some points too.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/official-gam...game_id=1002410

Halak's stats are just incredible:

6 games, 8 GA 1.41 GAA, 0.955 SV%, 2 shutouts...

Told you that kid had huge potential. I've seen him emulate Hasek in the QMJHL when he played for Lewiston. The kid's special. I have more hopes in him than in Price. But if tandem's the new norm now, Halak-Price could be one of the best in the NHL in some years from now.

Edited by KoZed

Has anyone actually seen the Bulldogs play? Milroy is on a PPG pace at the moment, just curious how his play has been.

I've seen many of their games on webcast. Milroy is playing the best hockey of his pro career, he looks faster and is playing solid all round hockey. For me the most impressive is Lapierre no doubt. Always the hardest working player, he has surprised me with his offense so far, but the way he plays the game is a treat to watch, very Begin like. He is always involved in something, either his feet or his hands or his mouth, but he must be a huge pain in the ass to play against. I can't say enough good things about him, no doubt he will be an NHLer.

Halak has been good, but hasn't really needed to be great yet. Last nights game he could have gone into the stands and sold popcorn, it wouldn't have mattered, Omaha just didn't have it. That said a SO is a SO and he's got 5 in his short AHL career of 19 games, which is damn impressive.

Grabovski has been impressive as well. He struggled to get on the scoresheet but he's scored 2 highlight reel goals already, really nice move last night and scored cause he didn't give up on the play, knocked it in with one hand. His speed and offensive skills are clear but what I like from him is that he works hard, backchecks, goes to the net, willing to take hits (and he gets nailed into the boards every game) I have no clue what his future is with us, but he seems to be getting better and better each game and he's fun to watch out there.

Chipchura has also been good. With him you know what your getting, always working hard, playing smart hockey. What a goal he scored last night. I can't see him not being a full time NHLer down the road, not flashy but he knows what to do, also he moves the puck well and is strong in his own end.

D'Agostini hurt his back the other day so he didn't play, but he has been one of the teams best rookies this year. His speed is a big help to him and he's got good offensive skills. He works hard and is also a smart player that reads the play and understands where to be on the ice. Hope to see him get stronger, but he just turned 20 and has been among the top rookie scorers in the league. top 15 or so.

Also of note is Ryan O'Byrne who is really coming along well after making the jump from the NCAA. He's still learning how to play physical, at times he's too physical but he's been very solid imo. I'm a big fan of his and consider him to be among our top prospects. He only has 2 points but he's easily been one of the most physical players on the team.

Even Mathieu Aubin has been good despite getting very little ice time. He is often in the press box but when he gets his chances he makes the most of them. He's bulked up and seems willing to get involved physically. Has a good shot and nice offensive skills.

I also liked what I saw from another rookie, Jon Gleed. He only played in 3 games but he played well in those games, nothing flashy but he works hard and is solid in his own end. Glad to see him go to the ECHL where he will get to play every game instead of sitting on the bench. With Cote back and Archer/Sanford not far away, more moves will need to be made on defense since the team has Roy, Traverse, Jancevski, O'Byrne, Benoit, Cote, Groulx on defense now, so add 2 more and that makes 9 plus who knows what the Habs will do with Streit/Ninny since they will have 8 D once Dandenault and Bouillon are back which is likely tonight and perhaps saturday.

I still think Danis is a good goalie and he will get back on track. He was the co MVP of the AHL All Stars last year and he was a great goalie in the NCAA. The Dogs should be set in goal between Halak and Danis. Getting Cote back is huge and hopefully add Sanford (they really need him for the PP, need someone to rush the puck end to end) plus a vet like Archer should really help sure up the D.

The one downer is Lemieux who could be out till januray which sucks for him cause he already missed the start of the season, comes back for one game and plays great, only to hurt his knee and be out 6-8 weeks. Maybe he can get back sooner, a underrated prospect imo, he was very solid in Hamilton last year.

The great thing about the Dogs is the way the rookies have been playing, which is promising for the Habs future. But add to that, next year the Dogs could have another good incoming class of rookies to Hamilton. Price, Kostitsyn, Carle and maybe Emelin (well I'm hoping at least) plus the chance of Mikus, Korpikari, Heino, these guys need to be signed or we lose their rights. Not saying any will be in Hamilton but we'll know in June if we keep their rights or not.

@ montreal: thanks for the analysis. Great to get feedback from someone who actually sees the games.

Keep the coming. Lots of Habs fans here like to hear about the prospects' developments!

I've been hearing that Milroy seems to have a new determination I haven't seen the dogs play yet this year. I always thought he had the talent/makeup to make it to the NHL but it hasn't looked good for the past couple of years. Montreal, do you think he might make a return to our top 20 prospects?

I've been hearing that Milroy seems to have a new determination I haven't seen the dogs play yet this year. I always thought he had the talent/makeup to make it to the NHL but it hasn't looked good for the past couple of years. Montreal, do you think he might make a return to our top 20 prospects?

It's possible but I wouldn't count on it at this point. The problem is more that the prospect depth is really impressive. We lack the real top notch prospects but boy do we have a lot of good middle of the pack type prospects. To me there's room towards the bottom, Locke hasn't impressed me and could be moved out of the top 20. In my last rankings I had a tough time between Francis Lemieux and J T Wyman, since Lemieux is injured I went with Wyman, but I like both of them. Wyman isn't talked about much but he's really filled out his frame well, and he plays a power game. He's about 6'2 210 or so, saw him play the other week against Vermont. He skates well, takes the body, solid in his own end but so far his offensive skills haven't flurished yet. Lemieux is among our more underrated prospects imo, he's got the speed, works hard and knows what to do on the ice. His hands are decent but he needs to get stronger.

Frankly I start removing prospects from the list when they get up around 24. Some don't like that I removed Yann Danis from the rankings, but he'll turn 26 in June. I also removed Cote since he'll be turning 25. Both are still prospects but for me I remove them after they have been in the system for so many years. If we didn't have so many interesting prospects I would be less inclined to do so.

Guys like Milroy, Archer and Ferland likely will be removed from prospect status next year. For the most recent top 20 I dropped Korpikari and Heino after their development seems to have stalled. If you look at the draft recent draft picks, the Habs really have stocked up on some interesting prospects. Fischer, Maxwell, Carle, White from the last draft. Price, Lats, Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Aubin from the year before. Chipchura, Grabovski, Emelin before that. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O'Byrne, Halak before that. Higgins, Perezhogin, Pleks, Komisarek.

Even long shots are looking good. Urquhart is scoring at a goal a game pace and is among the league leaders in goals. Had 10 shot on goal the other night, which shows he's shooting more, with his shot he needs to do this. Lambert is often forgotten but in his limited ice time he's played well and produced. I'd put Milroy in with this group, a pleasant surprise, hope to see them keep it up cause the clock is ticking on their future. With the depth we have, it becomes that much harder for them to even get a shot. Just look at the prospects with the Habs now. Higgins, Perezhogin, Pleks, Lats, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, with Lapierre knocking on the door and then guys like Chipchura, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Emelin, Fischer, Price, Maxwell, Halak, Kostitsyn, Carle, White all looking to get a shot over the next few years.

Thanks for the comments Dann, always appreciated.

I'm not too suprised with Milroy getting a surge of production. Its his last contract year, if I'm not mistaken.

D'Agostini surprises me. He was a late pick and he's now getting good production in his first pro year. Could he become a Plekanec-type of player from the wing?

A little surprised about Lambert too. The guy's been having an up-and-down progress so far. All the tools are there: size, speed, shot. But after being a late cut at the camp in 2005, he struggled, went to the ECHL and this year he was almost a write off. He seems to be playing well now that he's been paired with his old PEI buddy Lapierre. Is there a real progress in his game?

I'm puzzled as to why Don Lever dont dress Aubin more often. Is it a lack of room at C? I hope not. Do you see any 2nd line upside for the kid? It'd be nice to have a big offensive center come out the pipeline for a change.

Thanks for the comments Dann, always appreciated.

I'm not too suprised with Milroy getting a surge of production. Its his last contract year, if I'm not mistaken.

D'Agostini surprises me. He was a late pick and he's now getting good production in his first pro year. Could he become a Plekanec-type of player from the wing?

A little surprised about Lambert too. The guy's been having an up-and-down progress so far. All the tools are there: size, speed, shot. But after being a late cut at the camp in 2005, he struggled, went to the ECHL and this year he was almost a write off. He seems to be playing well now that he's been paired with his old PEI buddy Lapierre. Is there a real progress in his game?

I'm puzzled as to why Don Lever dont dress Aubin more often. Is it a lack of room at C? I hope not. Do you see any 2nd line upside for the kid? It'd be nice to have a big offensive center come out the pipeline for a change.

Well last year was a contract year for Milroy too, since it was the end of his 3 year rookie contract. It's good to see him playing well, he's gotten faster and gets more involved in the play.

D'Agostini reminds me of Higgins. Not as skilled but his assests are his speed, work ethic, hockey smarts and offensive skills. He's a good two way, not on the level of Higgins of course, just that the way he plays is something like that of Higgins. With D'Agostini you know you'll get a hard working effort, you know he'll play well at both ends of the rink, he can play in any situation. He can pass the puck well and has a decent shot. Frankly I don't know what his NHL upside is, but he was great in the OHL last year in what was only his 2nd year in the OHL after being a walk on with the Storm. I think at the very worse he'll end up being a very good AHLer but at this point he's still very young (just turned 20) and needs to add strength, both upper and lower body.

Lambert in a way reminds of me Dags in that he's more of a one trick pony. Lambert has a sick, sick shot both wrister and slapper, this kid will score goals for sure. The problem is his passing game needs work as does his defensive play. In the past he's shown he doesn't want to pay the price consistently. Some nights he would work hard and other nights he wouldn't do much of anything. Your right he does have the size, skating, speed and shot, that's him to a tee. He actually was scoring goals at a good pace last year, on a team that struggled to score goals, but with the Oilers prospects being there he got shipped out. Had there not been Oilers prospects I don't think he would have played in the ECHL last year and I think he would have scored around 20 goals, which is what I think he can do this year if he plays. So far he seems to understand what he needs to do to stay in the lineup but we'll see how it goes for him. I do think he's shown progress in his game but it's only based on limited viewing and now he should see a regular shift with Kostitsyn gone and Lemieux on IR.

I'm often puzzled at the moves Don Lever makes. Last year he often benched James Sanford, the teams leading scorer on defense, yet when Andre Benoit went into a huge slump he continued to play him every game up towards the end of the slump when he finally started sitting him. Maybe it made sense to others, but imo Sanford was clearly the better defensemen then Benoit but perhaps there was more to it, off ice. But I don't understand how Aubin hasn't played at least a little more. I thought that he would flip D'Ago and Aubin, but that wasn't the case, although D'Ago does play a better all round game imo. With Aubin he's bulked up and learning to use his size, plus he's got good offensive skills. Like D'Agostini I don't know what there NHL upside is. With the depth we have, it won't be easy to become regulars with the Habs but we'll see what happens. Also I think he'll be better off on the wing then center but that's just me and it would be better for the organization if he made it as a center.

It's possible but I wouldn't count on it at this point. The problem is more that the prospect depth is really impressive. We lack the real top notch prospects but boy do we have a lot of good middle of the pack type prospects. To me there's room towards the bottom, Locke hasn't impressed me and could be moved out of the top 20. In my last rankings I had a tough time between Francis Lemieux and J T Wyman, since Lemieux is injured I went with Wyman, but I like both of them. Wyman isn't talked about much but he's really filled out his frame well, and he plays a power game. He's about 6'2 210 or so, saw him play the other week against Vermont. He skates well, takes the body, solid in his own end but so far his offensive skills haven't flurished yet. Lemieux is among our more underrated prospects imo, he's got the speed, works hard and knows what to do on the ice. His hands are decent but he needs to get stronger.

Frankly I start removing prospects from the list when they get up around 24. Some don't like that I removed Yann Danis from the rankings, but he'll turn 26 in June. I also removed Cote since he'll be turning 25. Both are still prospects but for me I remove them after they have been in the system for so many years. If we didn't have so many interesting prospects I would be less inclined to do so.

Guys like Milroy, Archer and Ferland likely will be removed from prospect status next year. For the most recent top 20 I dropped Korpikari and Heino after their development seems to have stalled. If you look at the draft recent draft picks, the Habs really have stocked up on some interesting prospects. Fischer, Maxwell, Carle, White from the last draft. Price, Lats, Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Aubin from the year before. Chipchura, Grabovski, Emelin before that. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O'Byrne, Halak before that. Higgins, Perezhogin, Pleks, Komisarek.

Even long shots are looking good. Urquhart is scoring at a goal a game pace and is among the league leaders in goals. Had 10 shot on goal the other night, which shows he's shooting more, with his shot he needs to do this. Lambert is often forgotten but in his limited ice time he's played well and produced. I'd put Milroy in with this group, a pleasant surprise, hope to see them keep it up cause the clock is ticking on their future. With the depth we have, it becomes that much harder for them to even get a shot. Just look at the prospects with the Habs now. Higgins, Perezhogin, Pleks, Lats, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, with Lapierre knocking on the door and then guys like Chipchura, Grabovski, O'Byrne, Emelin, Fischer, Price, Maxwell, Halak, Kostitsyn, Carle, White all looking to get a shot over the next few years.

Thanks for this Dan. I always appreciate hearing your opinion. I have another quick question. If we trade Huet or Aebischer or if one of them is injured do you think there is a chance we might call up Halek before Danis?

Thanks for this Dan. I always appreciate hearing your opinion. I have another quick question. If we trade Huet or Aebischer or if one of them is injured do you think there is a chance we might call up Halek before Danis?

I can't really say but my guess would be no, Danis has had some shaky starts but he's still a very good goalie imo. Plus he has NHL experience. But I don't see Gainey trading any goalies at this point and time. I know there's the thought to maybe move Abby before the trade deadline since he's a UFA but who knows what Gainey will do and it would be nice to have 2 NHL goalies going into the playoffs, assuming we make them of course!

So at this point it's impossible to tell what management will do. It becomes interesting cause we know that Price will join the pro ranks perhaps right after his season is over in Tri City, and Danis i beleive will be a UFA this summer, and there's Heino Lindburg who needs to be signed or we lose his rights. Gainey has some decisions to make in regards to the goalies.