2015/16 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Gotta really hope at least they will make playoffs. Can Carr play in AHL playoffs if he heals in time and team still around?

I don't think he'll be eligible thanks to the 'Jamie Benn rule'. Since Benn's fiasco, to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, I believe you have to be on an AHL roster as of the NHL trade deadline. We've seen the last couple of years that teams will 'paper' a player to the AHL on deadline day, then burn one of their four recalls on him hours later. That's done to preserve AHL postseason eligibility.

Thrower has been sent back to Brampton after being scratched for a whole bunch of games in a row. I'm hoping that's a sign that Bartley is close to a return (he was skating with Price in Montreal earlier in the week).

Also, here are the 2nd quarter grades for the IceCaps that I mentioned in the GDT last night: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/01/icecaps-2nd-quarter-grades-forwards/

Poor Thrower, he is signed for one more year and that will likely be that, or will he be punted this summer?

And Mac Bennett will likely be done after this season and released as a RFA?

I'd say Bennett is looking more and more likely to be let go this summer (or dealt as contract ballast at the deadline). Thrower's near that point as well though he may be harder to move now with the extra year left - they'll be looking to dump him in the offseason though, especially if they decide to sign Didier.

Brampton's in action this morning (and down big early). Expect a few call-ups from them either today or tomorrow with the injuries to Bournival/Eisenschmid/Didier, the recalls of Lessio/Andrighetto, and the report that Scott won't be available this weekend as they plan to induce his wife into labour on Thursday.

Brampton's lines for those who are curious:

CaODh1wUYAA6hFG.jpg

(If you think they're short a few players, they're not - you only dress 16 skaters a game in the ECHL.)

The IceCaps have reportedly signed winger Alexandre Ranger to a PTO. If memory serves, he was at a rookie or development camp at some point; that name seems familiar. He has played in 45 games this year with ECHL Norfolk, picking up 11 goals and 12 assists.

There's no set return date for Scott either, the Habs have told him to take as much time away as he wants.

Edit: Bozon, Miceli, McNally, and Thrower have all been recalled. Ranger's PTO is also official.

Apparently adding four forwards to the roster wasn't enough as St. John's has signed Shane Bakker to a PTO. He played in 15 games with Hamilton last year and is the definition of mediocre fourth line depth guy. I wonder who else is hurt now?

As a pending UFA, isn't about time to call up Bud Holloway to see if he's got anything to offer at the NHL level? Seems to me the Habs should be trying to evaluate whether they should re-sign him, and he's obviously getting it done in the AHL.

Or is he just going to be kept in St John's and then walk in the offseason to a team more willing to offer him an NHL spot?

Based on how they used Holloway in training camp and then only giving him one game with the big club when they did call him up, I suspect they've pretty much written him off as just an AHL'er. Unless a bunch of changes are made, I don't see him getting recalled until maybe late in the year if they want to give him another token game or two.

I had high hopes for Holloway but he showed very little in his NHL appearances.

To be fair, those appearances totalled all of one preseason game on the 4th line and one NHL game on the 4th line. They haven't given him a particularly thorough look yet.

Brampton now on goalie #7!

David LIng back with Brampton after a year (or more) off

David LIng back with Brampton after a year (or more) off

He has been playing this season in the British League, 46 points in 34 games.

By the way, for those not familiar with the name, Ling played in a handful of games with the Habs between 1996-1998. Yes, he's old (41).

Brampton just signed goalie #8-see their website for details

Brampton just signed goalie #8-see their website for details

They also got Mac Bennett today who was (finally) sent down by St. John's. The IceCaps added Evan Rankin on a PTO as well, not a bad depth pickup for the short-term.

Beast Mike Vernace loaned to AHL Stockton

Beast Mike Vernace loaned to AHL Stockton

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been up with St. John's yet. I know he's not the same player he was a few years ago when Hamilton traded for him but at the very least, he could have played a 6/7 role for them which would have allowed for Bennett and Thrower to play regularly in Brampton. It's not like they're at the veteran limit either, they're not even close.

• Upvote 1

Bennett looked impressive last night and made and end to end rush that almost won the game. Palazzese had to come up with a big save. Brampton jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. A fan won $1000 as they scored within the first minute. Second goal a short time later forced Wheeling starter Casey Desmith out of the game after he appeared to sprain his ankle. Wheeling came storming back after the half way mark of the game and went ahead 4-3 after some dubious penalty calls by lone referee Ben Moser. With former Beast Mathew Maione in the box and goalie Jordan Ruby pulled. Brampton tied the game with 03 left in the third frame. Brampton almost won in O/T but two players fell leading to a 3 on 1 by Wheeling and game over. Jordan Ruby in goal for Brampton was impressive.. Referee Moser chose to ignore a blatant Wheeling high stick in O/T. Badly need two referees but like in the AHL, perhaps not enough qualified officials.....................

Travis Brown from Brampton to the Rock today & Brampton claimed forward Mike Hammond off wavers from Cincinatti

Travis Brown from Brampton to the Rock today & Brampton claimed forward Mike Hammond off wavers from Cincinatti

It's nice to see that Brown will get a turn to be the designated healthy scratch (he'll be the #7 with Bartley in Montreal) so that Bennett and Thrower can keep playing.