2015/16 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

So, last night on George street (most bars per square foot in North America. Welcome to Newfoundland) when I was loaded out of my tree, I see Nikita Scherbak standing all by his lonesome. So like you would, I go straight up to him, tell him I'm a huge Habs fan, and immediately start talking about the first thing that comes to mind, the load of good lookin girls at the bar. Eventually he points out a girl he has his eye on, so I ended up talking to scherbak about who he wants to get busy with (now that's a good scouting report).

Anyway, 99% just drunken conduct, and I ended up giving him a drunk motivational "man, you have a boatload of talent, you have what it takes to make it" (which I do truly believe). Ended up hangin out at the bar for about an hour, and he gave me his phone to add my number, LOL. Hilarious to me

• Upvote 1

The centres were McCarron, Dumont, and MacMillan. Miceli was technically the 4th line C but with there only being 11 forwards, there were times where one of those three C's dropped down (and others where Miceli centered the line). The first post in the GDT has last night's lines.

Bad news on the Scherbak front - he's apparently out for another 6-8 weeks at a minimum.

Thanx dlbair-- you never talked about Tinordi so I assume a Wednesday return is correct

Pither released from his PTO.

That was a short try out wasn't it?

Thrower sent to Brampton and likely safe to say can scratch him off as a legit 'NHL prospect' (I know they simply have too many d-men in AHL but).

Pither released from his PTO.

That was a short try out wasn't it?

He lasted longer than Blain did. That might be a sign that they think Bournival will be ready for their next game. (And, with Mitchell/Semin nearing returns, that will force a couple of other forwards back down as well.)

Edit: Both are in Brampton's lineup today, Pither on the front line and Thrower on the third D pairing.

It sounds like Scherbak's injury is an ankle issue and is a carry over from training camp. He tried to play through it for a bit but to no avail. Apparently the big hit he took vs Toronto has nothing to do with him sitting (I guess it was the final straw for them to make the decision to sit him down though).

Jacob de la Rose is dealing with a knee problem. The hope is that he'll be back before the Christmas break.

And Thrower has been recalled once again. They just sent him down to play with Brampton yesterday.

I'm glad to see the kid proving people wrong, he has taken a lot of heat, and guess what he didn't draft himself... some other people believed he could make it as a 3-4 year project, and he's looking good right now...

I'm glad to see the kid proving people wrong, he has taken a lot of heat, and guess what he didn't draft himself... some other people believed he could make it as a 3-4 year project, and he's looking good right now...

well hes proving me right...

now if we can only get Reway to believe he can help his family best financially by coming to the the NHL next season and make a boatload of money! i said it before preseason that he is the top 6 we are missing and im going to hold firm on that...

he's tearing up every league in he's played in thus far...

Guest Stogey24

well hes proving me right...

now if we can only get Reway to believe he can help his family best financially by coming to the the NHL next season and make a boatload of money! i said it before preseason that he is the top 6 we are missing and im going to hold firm on that...

he's tearing up every league in he's played in thus far...

So has Holloway.

Reway is a little baby, who even if he does make a deput at some point with the Habs, will just cry that he's not seeing minutes.

Sense of entitlement maybe? But, like Nygren he can be an offensive weapon and if would simply "lower" themselves and ride the bus in St.Johns for a while (no excuse now Nygren, with team out of scary Hamilton), they may find a spot on big team or another NHL team with room for them?

Nygren is a perfect example. Tons of talent, character is the problem.

Nygren could have been a great fit on this team

Of course, so many just obsessed over his shot and overlooked how terrible of a defenceman he was. Every game I watched of the guy he was a disaster with a nice shot. I just can't get behind a defenceman who loses the puck around their skates more than once a game.

Sense of entitlement maybe? But, like Nygren he can be an offensive weapon and if would simply "lower" themselves and ride the bus in St.Johns for a while (no excuse now Nygren, with team out of scary Hamilton), they may find a spot on big team or another NHL team with room for them?

Ain't no bus riding from St. Johns, unless they want to have about a 40 hour trip to the nearest opponent ;) But really I get the point you're making

Is McCarron quick enough to fit into the current Habs roster?

Does he have the foot speed too keep up to the likes of Eller, Byron, Mitchell, Flynn?

He's a big stride type. His first step he'll be behind but if he passes the puck to get some speed and room he will be able to keep up.

I don't see him playing any games for us yet.

Eric Neilson signed another PTO the other day. Yay?

It turns out de la Rose is injured once again but Lefebvre is hopeful he'll be ready to return after the break. Same for Eisenschmid. Meanwhile, Crisp, who was supposed the closest to being ready weeks ago, is evidently nowhere near a return.

Pasquale has been sent to Brampton while Pither has been released from his PTO. That's his second PTO so I believe the only way he can come back now is on a full SPC.

Went to the Devils vs Icecaps game in St John's the other night (where McCarron got a hatty).

On McCarron... this kid has amazing hands, made some really nice passes he always got rid of it fast either on net or to a teammate. Thing is just kinda floated to the front of the net and stood there, he barely moved all game it seemed... no idea if he can skate or not because he simply didn't "work". Never saw him lean on anyone or anything, at the same time no one leaned on him though he wasn't really screening the goalie well so I get why Devils D-men weren't going to waste energy trying to move him.

Player that really stood out in the first for pure effort was Bozon, huge contrast to when I saw him play in juniors. In the first period he was throwing himself at everything and fighting for position in front of the net non-stop. Sometimes ended up losing his footing but really was fun to watch... then it looked like he was benched almost the whole second and floated the rest of the game. Completely different for the rest of the game.

Dietz looked really good, stripped a few guys of the puck, laid some good hits, overall looked solid.

I was surprised by how well Didier skates.

New guy Lucas Lessio is a smooth skater.

Didn't see a lot of Elis or Gregoire.

Fucale wasn't playing but Eddie P was hilarious to watch. Made some amazing saves but was sliding all over the place. He was fun to watch, finished with a great stat-line and made some highlight saves but I wouldn't say he was "good".

edit: Also Icecaps got 3 in on Wedgewood who looked utterly horrid. He almost fell over at least twice just moving around his net, he was boggling the puck every shot... bad bad night for him