Could Kessel end up a Hab?

JVD

I'd say the equivalent would have been Eller (Spaling), Scherbak (Kapanen), Tinordi (Harrington), and the 1st/3rd for 2nd swap. That's a lot more than what many on here were thinking it would cost.

I personally would not pay that but then again I don't like fat phil as much as some others. He is a pure goal scorer, can't see him fitting in with Le Genius.

I don't know how Pittsburgh is able to keep trading prospects and picks, seems like it's all they do.

It's a good question. I guess if you have two superstars at C in your organization for years and years, you can think less about the long term, knowing you'll be dangerous with those guys no matter what? On the other hand, you could argue that the Pens have actually been paying the price for not developing talent for some time now. Every year their depth is questionable; they've been trying patch-up jobs on the wings and D for a number of years; and they've even been stuck with that clown Fleury in net for eternity.

dlbalr, thanks for that analysis. I probably would have made such a deal as well. Had MB done so, though, he probably would have been excoriated (by some of the same folks that condemn him for not 'making the bold move,' natch).

Big thing about the Kessel trade is that the Penguins did not give up their #1 prospect: Derrick Pouliot.

Also, it's okay to trade your first rounders if

- your scouts are good at finding good players in later rounds

- you can attract top talent via free agency

- you can trade for top talent

Pens proved they can trade for top talent (Kunitz, Perron, Neal, Iginla, Hossa, Hornqvist, Kessel, etc.) and proved they can attract top talent via free agency (Guerin, Kovalev, Martin, Jokinen, Scuderi, Erhoff), it's finding good players in later rounds where the Penguins lack by a considerate amount. The Pittsburgh Penguins have only drafted four players since 2006 outside of the first round that have played more than 100 NHL games:

- Robert Bortozzo
- Jake Muzzin
- Dustin Jeffrey
- Brian Strait
If we goto 2005, you get two more players: Joe Vitale and Kris Letang.
In other words, it's okay to lose first rounder if you can find players in other rounds. For pretty much a decade, Pittsburgh has failed at that. Draft picks outside of the first round have been completely worthless to them. That means they *have* to rely on trades and free agency.

Big thing about the Kessel trade is that the Penguins did not give up their #1 prospect: Derrick Pouliot.

Also, it's okay to trade your first rounders if

- your scouts are good at finding good players in later rounds

- you can attract top talent via free agency

- you can trade for top talent

Pens proved they can trade for top talent (Kunitz, Perron, Neal, Iginla, Hossa, Hornqvist, Kessel, etc.) and proved they can attract top talent via free agency (Guerin, Kovalev, Martin, Jokinen, Scuderi, Erhoff), it's finding good players in later rounds where the Penguins lack by a considerate amount. The Pittsburgh Penguins have only drafted four players since 2006 outside of the first round that have played more than 100 NHL games:

- Robert Bortozzo
- Jake Muzzin
- Dustin Jeffrey
- Brian Strait
If we goto 2005, you get two more players: Joe Vitale and Kris Letang.
In other words, it's okay to lose first rounder if you can find players in other rounds. For pretty much a decade, Pittsburgh has failed at that. Draft picks outside of the first round have been completely worthless to them. That means they *have* to rely on trades and free agency.

That is an interesting analogy.

Steve Simmons has been basically proven to be an a$$hole. He wrote that Kessel stopped at a particular hot dog stand everyday. It has been proven to be false. He is just jumping on a guy leaving town. I used to have a small (and I do mean small) modicum of respect for Simmons but no longer. You can't nor should tell blatant lies about people. But he works for a grungy newspaper so what do you expect?