Saddam Hanged

markierung

Saddam was hanged this morning at 6:00 AM in Bagdad, while thousands were dancing in the streets.

My opinion, this will only lead to more bloodshed and violent reactions.

EDIT: Spelling of "Saddam"

Edited by KoZed

It was a rush job. Who is he more famous for killing: kurds. Who did he always persecute besides the kurds the shi'ia. Who is the majority of the people: shi'ia. Who has the most power in the country the Shi'ia. Basically the Shi'ia government decided to kill him on a shi'ia charge instead of going through all the charges against him that he did to the kurds and sunnis as well. So this execution to the kurds/sunni's will look like a vengeance execution. The Iraqi government would have been better off if they continued to charge with with Sunni crimes and Kurd crimes. But no they didn't and it shows desperation on their part.

This isn't Lenin and company during the Russian Revolution where they executed the entire monarchy. They were in control the reds were, here it's the opposite. The execution of Saddam was more of a lets hurry up and kill him and see what it does.

It was a rush job. Who is he more famous for killing: kurds. Who did he always persecute besides the kurds the shi'ia. Who is the majority of the people: shi'ia. Who has the most power in the country the Shi'ia. Basically the Shi'ia government decided to kill him on a shi'ia charge instead of going through all the charges against him that he did to the kurds and sunnis as well. So this execution to the kurds/sunni's will look like a vengeance execution. The Iraqi government would have been better off if they continued to charge with with Sunni crimes and Kurd crimes. But no they didn't and it shows desperation on there part.

This isn't Lenin and company during the Russian Revolution where they executed the entire monarchy. They were in control the reds were, here its the opposite. The execution of Saddam was more of a lets hurry up and kill him and see what it does.

Agreed, I won't be surprised if there's a civil unrest in Iraq. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't know what's right and wrong anymore.

On one hand I think they should've let him rot in a jailcell for the rest of his life. On the other hand, this is the first time that I can remember when I have felt that the death sentence was appropriate. When I first read the news, my first thought was "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

As for the consequences... The whole Iraq issue has been a mess right from the start (when Saddam first took over I mean). It was just a disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the timing of this was as off as it could be. But I cant say much about that. In a way I also think it's good they got it over with. I don't know if there is a good time for something like this.

I won't debate weither Saddam deserved it or not; or if the trial was fair or not; or weither the death penalty is human or not.

I just want to point out how, 20 days apart, two dictators died. Pinochet on the 10th and Hussein on the 30th.

There's a certain irony in it. Pinochet died of old age and never had to face up to the atrocities that he ordered. Hussein was trialled, sentenced and executed rather quickly.

Personally, I question any pretension of "justice" when putting Head of States on trial. The deck always seems stacked. Even in Slobodan Milošević' (another butcher who died this year) trial there was plenty of politically-motivated testimonies.

In the end, its just wolves eating wolves and settling scores under the guise of Justice.

I just want to point out how, 20 days apart, two dictators died. Pinochet on the 10th and Hussein on the 30th.

very important difference -- one dictator was supported by the US and the other was not. Lesson for mass-murderers and tyrants: Whatever you do, to ensure longevity, be a "yes-man" to the US Administration!

Agreed, I won't be surprised if there's a civil unrest in Iraq. We'll have to wait and see.

Civil unrest......like, oh, the last 2200 years?!!!

It's popular to think that we've created all of this nonsense in Iraq, and President Baboon is resposible for some, but these people have been throwing rocks at each other and blowing themselves up since the rock was invented.

It's popular to think that we've created all of this nonsense in Iraq, and President Baboon is resposible for some, but these people have been throwing rocks at each other and blowing themselves up since the rock was invented.

"these people"?

Oh, because its hasn't been the same in the rest of the World? Throwing rocks is a universal constant of humanity, and it usually is preceded by finger pointing.

"these people"?

Yes, these people. These islamic radicals residing in the middle-east.

I'm not sure what sort of insinuation you are trying to make, but it's obvious exactly who I'm talking about.

And KoZed, these people have been unusually militant.

Ah!

More militant than the IRA? More militant than all the various militias in South America? Or more militant than all the various groups that turned Europe upside down for ages? More militant than the Founding Fathers in 1776? More militant than facists, communists and all the revolutionaries that have thrown rocks since rocks were invented?

Being militant is nothing unusual in the History of the World.

Ah!

More militant than the IRA? More militant than all the various militias in South America? Or more militant than all the various groups that turned Europe upside down for ages? More militant than the Founding Fathers in 1776? More militant than facists, communists and all the revolutionaries that have thrown rocks since rocks were invented?

well, I think you'd have to concede that they've been pretty darn consistent about it.

Yes, these people. These islamic radicals residing in the middle-east.

I'm not sure what sort of insinuation you are trying to make, but it's obvious exactly who I'm talking about.

Mils I meant that no ethnic or religious group has a monopoly on brutality. Ask the mothers whose children have been killed how they feel about this Crusade for freedom and democracy.

Happy New Year All.

Ah!

Not once have I argued that Islamic radicals have been the only militant group in the history of the world, nor have I argued that they have been the most brutal.

The initial assertion was that Saddam's hanging would cause civil unrest in Iraq. I sarcastically pointed out the fact that there has been "civil unrest" since before Christ in that region and that to say that this singular event would cause "unrest" that would otherwise be non-existent would be ridiculous.

I concede that there will be some negative reaction, but there's a negative reaction to every political action, nobody pleases everybody all the time. But there would be unrest and bombings and killing in this region whether Saddam was hanged when he was, released, or if he was exiled to an island.

JLP: Point well taken.