Online Petition go get more HABS coverage on CBC

giovannicanella

I found this while posting and reading at habsinsideout, if you love the habs and would like some justice with the CBC please sign this online petition.

Mike

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?habshnic

To: Hockey Night in Canada, CBC

Hockey Night in Canada (HNIC), the longtime weekly program that unites Canadians coast-to-coast to watch their national pass-time, regularly shows Toronto Maple Leafs' games at the expense of other Canadian teams, particularly the Montreal Canadiens.

Not only are the Montreal Canadiens the most storied franchise of the National Hockey League, they provide good, wholesome entertainment and have fans from across the country. This contrasts with the Toronto Maple Leafs, whose fanbase is primarily Toronto and its surrounding area. While viewers admirably get a healthy dose of watching other Canadian teams out West (who all get decent exposure on the network), the entire country is regularly "taken hostage" into watching the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Previously, viewers had the option of switching to the French broadcast on SRC (French CBC) to watch Montreal Canadiens games, however that stopped a few years ago. As well, viewers in the Ottawa area are sometimes treated to Ottawa Senators games, yet this is not the case with Montreal and the rest of Quebec.

Therefore, it is grossly unfair to viewers in Montreal and across Canada whose tax dollars are paying for HNIC (as it is broadcast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) - a crown corporation) but are forced to watch a team that they really do not want to watch, while the station maintains their bias.

The city of Montreal and the province of Quebec comprise of a major population base in Canada, and as such, rightfully deserve the respect of being treated to Montreal Canadiens games. Additionally, the Montreal Canadiens have a greater fanbase across the country, so it is in the interest of the CBC, as a crown corporation, to respect the wishes of Canadians at large.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

The CBC has a perfect circular logic going, and it's screwing them just as much as it's screwing us-

The simple fact is, the Leafs have the highest ratings. About ten years ago, this was especially true, because the Leafs were a better team. So the brilliant minds in Toronto decided to just go with the Leafs. Forget the fact that they're a public broadcaster, with a mandate to represent "all" Canadians. The Leafs had better numbers, period.

Of course, if you NEVER show anyone but the Leafs, nobody ever tunes in to see anything BUT the Leafs. Habs fans from coast to coast have been abandoned, and no new fan base is created.

So now the Leafs are headed down, the ratings are headed down, and everbody except Leafs fans gave up on the CBC five years ago.

The Cowboys were highest rated for the NFL for years. Did they run the Cowboys on Monday Night Football EVERY FRIGGIN WEEK? No. Becuase the NFL knows it's selling football, not just it's #1 team. Even the Cowboys are going to suck some years and you have to show other teams.

But for the CBC, they just say the Leafs draw more so that's all they're going to show. So what happens? The leafs suck, ratings are down BIGTIME this year, and they learn nothing.

Yup I must agree with this... CBC needs more Habs games, just can't stand it when your forced to watch the LEAFS! Channel CBC-Montreal is there to show Leafs games on Saturday that is so bullsh*t to be honest ... they should just keep the Leafs games on CBC-Toronto ....

Edited by Habstown

If that happens Dirty Harry all the games would be on TSN. CTV doesn't want NHL games to mess with their american programming.

No they wouldn't. There's a separate contract for broadcast TV rights and for cable rights. If CTVGlobemedia wins the rights, they wouldn't be allowed to broadcast those games on TSN, especially if TSN didn't get the cable rights. I don't think they could do a package deal for both broadcast and cable rights because it would shut Sportsnet out of the cable rights.

The ratio needs to be adjusted IMO. Right now there are 3 teams that the CBC can cover in the eastern time slot with the other 3 typically slated for the late game due to being west. Sometimes the western teams play the early slot when visiting the east but this is usually the exception, not the rule.

What needs to change is the Leaf broadcast frequency. The way it is now is probably within the 80% Leafs, 5% Habs & 5% Sens. This ration is UNACCEPTABLE!

The CBC are really stupid. Here they are basically hanging by a thread to secure their NHL HNIC contract annually and they behave in this manner.

HNIC is a tradition. That tradition transcends the Leafs and even Montreal. It’s true that the teams’ existence preceded the formation of radio. But, within itself it was the 1st to broadcast games over the air. CBC’s moronic behaviour is making me question what business they have in this tradition. Going for “Leaf ratings” versus adhering to a proper tradition illegitimizes their historical argument. Thus, CBC is actually destroying HNIC. Also, they are doing their best to erode support for the network from people like you and me.

It’ll get worse too. I’m the type of person who if I’m miffed by one product screwup, I’ll boycott the whole thing. Peter Mansbridge might get lonely.

The CBC sucks now. I’m beginning to hate them. Any clout within tradition they have is being destroyed by their utter foolishness.

I don’t mind that the CBC covers mostly Toronto, but get that ratio to something more acceptable!

What needs to change is the Leaf broadcast frequency. The way it is now is probably within the 80% Leafs, 5% Habs & 5% Sens. This ration is UNACCEPTABLE!

I think you meant 90/5/5. Actually, I think the 5% the Habs get are when they play the Leafs, so it doesn't really count. Same with the Sens. Maybe you're referring to regional coverage, but the national broadcast is always the Leafs, I believe.

I know that I was totally pissed off last Saturday, CBC indicated that the Habs-Sabres game was the number 1 broadcast game and we were treated to the Leafs from Pittsburgh. I live in Hull, Quebec so I don't really know whats up with the scheduling anymore.

Anyway I have heard that there are rights issues with the Habs broadcasts because of the agreement with RDS....I would like to know more details on the rights to distribute. It appears that the Habs are shooting themselves in the foot if they are limiting their english national broadcasts.

I don't know - even when the CBC does air Habs games, I can't stand to watch it, because the commentators don't know the players from the Peterborough Petes. It's so annoying to hear Bob Cole refer to "the Canadiens player" when everyone watching the game knows who number 84 is. Unless the CBC brings back Dick Irvin and Steve Shutt to do the broadcasts, I'll be flipping over to RDS anyway.

But I do think the point that the Habs' fan base is being destroyed - particularly in Atlantic Canada and out West (where Habs fans almost outnumber the locals when they show up once every three years) - is an important one. I don't think we can expect the CBC to do anything about this, so Habs management should really take the initiative - it's their asset that's suffering.

The Habs are the only team in Canada where it is possible to see all 82 games without subsricing to NHL Centre Ice, no matter where you live.

So why are we complaining?

Not true RDS blacks out a few games a year in places such as Kingston.

Anyway I have heard that there are rights issues with the Habs broadcasts because of the agreement with RDS....I would like to know more details on the rights to distribute. It appears that the Habs are shooting themselves in the foot if they are limiting their english national broadcasts.

I think the deal with RDS gives them only French broadcast rights. The CBC, and TSN for that matter, can and do broadcast the Habs when it's convenient to them... which is rare.