Lorne Worsley 1929-2007

JLP

Former Habs goaltender Lorne "Gump" Worsley passed away today. Old-school Verdun guy, stocky, no mask (once famously said: "My face is my mask"), all heart. With Rogie Vachon in the 60s was half of one of the top goaltending tandems ever. Won four Stanley Cups with the Habs.

Goodbye Gumper you were one of a kind! Condolences to Worsley's family. :hlogo:

A true charector, competitor and gentleman that was quick with a whip to phrase a coment or two... He'll be sadly missed. Rest in peace Mr. Worsley and my condolences to his family!

All Montreal fans have a heavy heart right now as one of our brothers has passed on. Many may not remember his great achivemments. Thank you Lorne for the tradition, victories and betterment of the lives of family and friends and your fans of the greatest hockey sports fanchise.

A sample of his great Habs career some here may/may not not know:

Through twenty-two NHL seasons, Gump Worsley was part of Stanley Cup championships in 1964-65, 1965-66, 1967-68 and 1968-69. He was selected to the NHL's First All-Star Team in 1968 and to the Second Team in 1966. Worsley and partner Charlie Hodge shared the Vezina Trophy for lowest goals-against average in 1965-66. Gump and Rogie Vachon shared the same award in 1967-68.

R.I.P.

He one of my dad's favourites, and a true character of the game...

Always loved watching him play - he was a fiesty competitor and a funny/jovial kind of guy off the ice!

Condolences to the Worsley family... another great of the original 6 has moved on.