It's pretty bad when your 3 & 4 lines are your shutdown and scoring lines

kw11habs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:?- He was doing very well on the 3rd line (not a minimal role, but not top offensive line either).

Although his +/- looked good and he was playing well as a 2 way defensive player his game is more suited to play with offensive players. He has great 1 on 1 ability and a underrated shot.

Although his +/- looked good and he was playing well as a 2 way defensive player his game is more suited to play with offensive players. He has great 1 on 1 ability and a underrated shot.

exactly. and seeing as lines 1 and 2 are struggling, I wish the coaches would try him on them and see what happens. For God's sake, Streit started on the first line yesterday... I mean, I like Streit, but if he get's to play on the 1st, then Perogie should definitely get a chance...

Well, there is a LOT to be said for the argument that if you want young players to develop, you put them in the position to succeed.

Look at Higgins. Languishing on the lower lines, pigeonholed as a 'defensive' forward by Julien, he was suddely given top-line minutes by Gainey, and presto: an explosive second half. Similarly, Gainey put Komisarek with Markov, allowing him the space he needed to recover his confidence and renew his development.

So before we give up on Zhogs as a potential offensive force, we should give him at least a few games where he replaces Mark Streit :lol: on the first line with Koivu.

Gainey is the only coach we've had in recent memory who was willing to do that sort of thing. Most coaches do as Carbo is doing: preferring to go with, say, a Mark Streit (an intelligent and responsible player who can do anything that he's asked to do, but really, has a limited ceiling in terms of potential), rather than take the risk of allowing a Perezhogin the room to make mistakes and truly blossom into a major-league threat. The Habs should identify the young players who they believe have top-end offensive potential and do everything they can to further that potential. I'm not sure they're doing that. It's telling that Plekanec and Latendresse seem to be Carbo's favourites - both players who can play a strong two-way game. But what would he have done with, say, Guy Lafleur?

Another thing to consider is that Zhogs added, like, 20 lbs of muscle over the summer. It's not unusual for players to require many months to adjust to that kind of dramatic (chemically assisted?) physical change. We may have to wait until next season for Perezhogin to really put it all together in his new body.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I thought it was impressive that he put on 20lbs and still kept his blazing speed. He also still has the ability to make moves at that same blazing speed, but when he is playing on defensive lines and not getting power play time he will not score as many goals or pick up as many points.

I thought it was impressive that he put on 20lbs and still kept his blazing speed. He also still has the ability to make moves at that same blazing speed, but when he is playing on defensive lines and not getting power play time he will not score as many goals or pick up as many points.

At this point just playing him (at all!!!) or playing him more than 10 minutes a game would be an improvement... although I agree with you that what he needs (and shoudl be given a chance to try) is top minutes on an offensive line...

Edited by ShortHanded

its looks like to me that no matter who kovalev and samsonov plays with they cant get it done.so we spend all our time moving plays from line to line trying to makes these guys play better. i think we should go back to the ryder Koivu higgins line for our top line and leave them their and then make a trade to bring in someone to make our second line better and firer up this team.

its looks like to me that no matter who kovalev and samsonov plays with they cant get it done.so we spend all our time moving plays from line to line trying to makes these guys play better. i think we should go back to the ryder Koivu higgins line for our top line and leave them their and then make a trade to bring in someone to make our second line better and firer up this team.

Ryder Koivu Higgins were playing together for the last 3 weeks and didn't get anything going. It's only the last game or two where they've been broken up...

Perezhogin should be given a chance BUT I like what he's doing - the guys that work are the guys that play. I have no problems whatsoever with Mark Streit playing on the top line. If a more talented vet wants to take his spot, that's great - outwork him and the spot's all yours. Streit even scored a goal in his first game on the first line. Same thing goes to Bonk, Plekanec, Latendresse, Johnson, Lapierre... Give the icetime to the guys who're earning it.