Seasonal trends?

Cataclaw

Kind of seems like the Habs are repeating their 05-06 season:

2005-06:

- Roaring start

- A trigger-event causes a slump (Kovalev and later Koivu injuries)

- They seem to be on the verge of getting out of it, fall back in again

- They finally snap out and go on a winning streak, racking up points

- The winning tappers off a bit towards the end of the season, they break even, but secure a playoff spot

2006-07:

- Roaring start (check)

- A trigger-event causes a slump (check - Bégin injury, holiday flu, etc.)

- They seem to be on the verge of getting out of it, fall back in again (check - a bit of success near the all-star break)

- They finally snap out and go on a winning streak (remains to be seen)

- The winning tappers off a bit towards the end of the season, they break even, but secure a playoff spot (remains to be seen)

Am i imagining things?

Yep same old shit every year. The team is lazy which is why they have 25-30 game slumps. They dont wanna give it their all every night.

Last seasons slump last 32 games in which they went 10-19-3.

This seasons slump so far has been 22 games in which they went 8-13-1.

So its not as bad as last years yet, but I wont be surprised if it does. 2-6-2 for the next 10 games wouldnt surprise me one bit.

The Good news is that our roaring start was significantly better this year as our slump didn't start until Christmas, wheras last year our slump started about a month earlier.

So...if we come out of the slump in the next couple weeks (about when we did last season) we will be a few spots higher when the playoffs roll around...

Let's not forget that all the teams that caught up to and passed us are hot right now. They will start to slow down, and as long as we can get going sometime soon, the team should be OK.

I know the playoff race is extremely close, but I will reiterate what many have said. It's nice to be crying about slumps and sliding from 4th to 6th compared to passed years, where we whined about slumps and slid from 9th to 12th.

How about we take fingers off the panic button and look at the grand scheme. Since Gainey took over, there has been a marked improvement year after year. Even though we're in a rough patch, the team is still better than it was last season, and there's every reason to believe that trend will continue next year.

I know the past indicated that Montreal was a now, Now, NOW! team because they won repeatedly, but this is a new NHL. You have to build a solid foundation, not just practice sleight of hand to win every year. It's just not possible. Is it frustrating to watch the Habs through these rough patches? Damn skippy. But if you take a step back, it's easy to see that, under Gainey, we're well on our way to being one of the league's best clubs by the time the franchise turns 100. And wasn't that the plan all along???