Habs most underrated prospects

bobby

Matt D'Agostini and Juraj Mikus. D'Agostini has been more productive as a 20 year old AHL rookie than Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn. He is as good an all round player as Higgins and Plekanec, better than the other two. Mikus is another player who is already a solid two way forward, and has been cranking up the offense in the latter part of his first season in North America. Both are RW, however, and there is a real logjam in the organization at that position. Look for a couple of the RW prospects to be dealt, likely Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. Unless Kost can play LW on a long term basis.

Why would Kostitsyn be going anywhere he has yet to get a sold chance in the NHL. Mikus and D'agostini have not yet played an NHL game and the Canadiens really tend to bring prospects along pretty slowly. So as 20 year olds they may not join the Habs or even have a chance to for the next 2 -4 years.

Mikus has good stats in the q but he's 20 years old. If anything he's bound to play in the AHl for a few years before having a chance to crack the lineup.

It seems to me the Habs have a lot of right wingers, Kovalev, Ryder, Johnson, Perezhogin, Latendresse, A. Kostitsyn in the NHL, Milroy, D'Agostini, Aubin, S. Kostitsyn, Mikus, Stewart, and maybe Ryan White in the minors and junior ranks. That is too many, they start to interfere with each others progress.

My inclination is to move the players who have expressed discontent with the team and/or management. Kovalev, Samsonov, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. If they aren't happy in Montreal, move them elsewhere. There are lots of other players who would love the opportunity and having a couple of malcontents onboard can ruin the whole team effort.

by the time some of these kids make it, johnson, kovalev and ryder will be gone.

besides, it's not all of these players that will make it to the NHl, the weakest will eleminate themselves out.

My inclination is to move the players who have expressed discontent with the team and/or management. Kovalev, Samsonov, Perezhogin and Kostitsyn.

Kostitsyn said wenesday that he really want to stay in Montreal...

I fear a bad influence from Samsonov, but in couterpart Markov seems happy here (as much as Andrei Markov can look happy...)

Bobby,

I'm with you on everything but Kostitsyn. After a slow transition to the AHL he's done everything right this year. Improved his work ethic, his two-way play and his English.

Now is exactly the wrong time to move him. His upside is HUGE. Remember if not for his epilepsy symptoms he was expected be drafted around 5 overall.

The only reason I see him moving is as part of a deal to get a star. His value is high and he looks fantastic out there. He's shown no character problems at all, and in fact when he was sent down early in the year and asked to work harder in the A he did just that.

Bobby,

I'm with you on everything but Kostitsyn. After a slow transition to the AHL he's done everything right this year. Improved his work ethic, his two-way play and his English.

The only reason I see him moving is as part of a deal to get a star. His value is high and he looks fantastic out there. He's shown no character problems at all, and in fact when he was sent down early in the year and asked to work harder in the A he did just that.

a montreal paper said he talked better english than markov !!! I know he still needs a translator but his english will be fine.

his development is steady, if it wasn't of the quantity of fowards in montreal, he would've made the team in october.

I remember hearing that montreal brass wasn't impressed by his minus rate in mtl and wanted him to work on it and thats what he just did !!

frankly, I think he stole( deserved) perezhogin's spot in the lineup.

lol no his english isn't to great and Markov talks better english then him, but a language isn't a hard thing to learn, I know people that take courses and it takes only 1 year for them to perfectly speak it, which some players in the habs should do :(

Considering Kostitsyn only knew a few words last year, it's a big improvement. He says his younger brother is better than him though.

lol no his english isn't to great and Markov talks better english then him, but a language isn't a hard thing to learn, I know people that take courses and it takes only 1 year for them to perfectly speak it, which some players in the habs should do :(

LOL...I assume this is about Habs players learning french. Bleh.

You can definitely NOT learn to "perfectly" speak a language in a year...unless you have a real aptitude for learning a new language. Remember that these guys are dealing with people speaking english AND french...and some of the french people speak some crap english so it can't be easy to learn. That's no offense to french people learning english either...I just think you understate learning a new language.

A number of the players can also play LW so the log jam isn't that bad. A number of the prospects are still 2-3 years away from contributing so some of our RWers will be gone by then. Some of those prospects are 3rd line guys at best...hardly worth moving people over.

I believe the Kostsytsin brothers are in this teams long term plans. Same with Markov. It looks like Perezhogin is playing himself out of town. For Kovalev and Samsonov it's their attitudes that seem to be driving them out...if they indeed do get moved.

I also think the question with D'Agostini is whether he is close to playing at his talent ceiling or does he have a lot of room left to grow as a player. Guys like Higgins had loads of room still...

"D'Ago" (I wonder if it's cool to call him that since he seems to be Italian :o ) looks like a clone of Higgins at the same age. Good skill set, great attitude, a bit undersized. If he hadn't missed a big stretch of games due to injury, he would be one of the top rookie scorers in the AHL. As it is, he is matching the pace of players like Schremp and Bolland, and considerably ahead of Ben Pouliot. He is younger than those players as well.

He was an 18 year old walk on in the CHL, so I think he still has a lot of upside at the age of 20.

Mikus is a player who will really surprise, I think. He has a couple of extra gears he has yet to engage in his career so far.

From what I hear Sergei's English is quite good.

Well it helps he came over at a younger age and has is much more extroverted from what I hear. His team mates convey he has an Ovechkin like personality.

i'd say that mathieu aubin is a 'forgotten' player... lots of talent but needs to be more physical, it seems...

GO :hlogo: GO!

i'd say that mathieu aubin is a 'forgotten' player... lots of talent but needs to be more physical, it seems...

GO :hlogo: GO!

he's in 1st year, he has lots of time to develop into a solid foward.

Anyone else notice that Grabovsky has been pretty much non-existant on the score sheet since #### left? Is it because of the injury, or was #### making him look good?

Anyone else notice that Grabovsky has been pretty much non-existant on the score sheet since #### left? Is it because of the injury, or was #### making him look good?

Well I know his knee is still hurting and he is playing through a lot of pain right now. He rushed back to the line-up a bit to early, also why he was not recalled with Bonk out for centre help.

Well I know his knee is still hurting and he is playing through a lot of pain right now. He rushed back to the line-up a bit to early, also why he was not recalled with Bonk out for centre help.

I don't think they had any plans of recalling anybody...they could've called milroy if the wanted !!

Grabovski and Kostitsyn are gone next season. At least I hope so. They are just not smart enough. The team already has Kovalev in the "I.Q. matches his uniform number" category. If they keep too many of those guys, especially if they all happen to speak the same language, it will cause a lot of problems. Markov and Samsonov are a lot brighter, and Perezhogin says he mostly talks to Markov, so they should be all right. But LOSE Kovalev and the Belarussians.

Grabovski and Kostitsyn are gone next season. At least I hope so. They are just not smart enough. The team already has Kovalev in the "I.Q. matches his uniform number" category. If they keep too many of those guys, especially if they all happen to speak the same language, it will cause a lot of problems. Markov and Samsonov are a lot brighter, and Perezhogin says he mostly talks to Markov, so they should be all right. But LOSE Kovalev and the Belarussians.

are you a protégé of don cherry??

there's more than hockey smarts, you need heart, courage and grit.

if you say that samsonov is bright then I'll say he's chicken shit, he lacks respect for coaches and teammates and he's overrated. smart players like samsonov can kiss my ass. he's a wasted uniform.

he will go down in habs history as a guy that can be compared to czerkawski, audette, berezin...

Edited by marky_and_komi

I do NOT understand what the prejudice is against the Belorussians. Grabovski's small, and has tailed off of late. Kosty has easily been among the best habs forwards the last couple of games. That doesn't make a career, but you seem to have problems with their personalities. Right now I would say Kosty's our top NHL-ready prospect for good reason. Plus his brother looks like dynamite so what kind of message are we sending if we dump Andrei without even giving him a legitimate chance.

Back to the topic at hand. What do folks think of Milroy? He'd pretty much dropped off anyone's list of likely NHLers before this season. Now he's had a good year and impressed Carbo duing his call up. Does he have a future?