Manitoba Tories want to bring back the Winnipeg Jets

I think they've ran out of ideas.

I want the Jets back because we need more Canadian teams, but this is silly.

Sad political ploy when they're going to get whipped in the upcoming election.

Bring pro hockey back to Winnipeg: Manitoba Tories

WINNIPEG — Manitoba's provincial election campaign has turned its attention to hockey with the Conservatives promising to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg.

Standing alongside former Winnipeg Jet Thomas Steen, Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen said he'll work with the private sector to bring back the team, who left Manitoba a decade ago.

McFadyen won't say how much taxpayer money he'd be willing to put up, but says the government could follow Manitoba Hydro's example and raise money by issuing bonds.

He also says he would consider a special lottery to raise money as well as a players tax similar to one implemented in Alberta at one time.

The Tory leader says an NHL team would make Manitoba more attractive to young people and help stem the tide of university graduates who leave for Alberta.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

I don't get the NHL keeps the kids here scenario either. :wacko:

Not surprised 1 bit. This is a typical Tory ploy to promise their voters something the voters really want but in which the Tories cant actually accomplish.

It pathetic that the Tories must tell lies to obscure the truth in order to get votes. Whats worse is that the Tories actually get elected by doing this. :rolleyes:

P.S. I live for the day the Jets fly again, but unfortunately no political party can bring them back.

Dumb, the Jets were not able to survive then and won't succeed into the future. Problem is that Winnipegers were about as good at supporting the Jets as were Montreal fans supporting the Expo's

I say this to any Winnipeger who wants the Jets back. If you get them back, TV ain't good enough.