Defensive Depth?

kenadian

I may be biased here, but I've seen him play here for 4 years; and his numbers have improved every year. I'm talking about Jon D'Aversa who's a 6'2" 200 lb Dman who has an offensive upside. He's got good vision, and doesn't panic with the puck, and has an above average shot from the point. Yet with all this he went undrafted, maybe because the Wolves had Staal, and all the attention was on him, or scouts thinking he was riding on Staal's coat-tails...He's twice been selected to play in the All-Star game as well, in 05-06 and 06-07....

STATS

Cool, this is a good idea. I'm sure the organization recognizes the need for more D prospects. I expect the Habs to be aiming for many D with their picks.

I doubt it. They just stacked up on D last draft. Now we actually have quite a few D prospects. I could see them drafting 2 or 3 this draft just to make sure we're solid - but our top pick should be used on a forward. Maybe the 2nd 1st rounder as well.

I doubt it. They just stacked up on D last draft. Now we actually have quite a few D prospects. I could see them drafting 2 or 3 this draft just to make sure we're solid - but our top pick should be used on a forward. Maybe the 2nd 1st rounder as well.

I think we'll probably go with the BPA once again, although I'm sure a #1 centre is on the top of the wishlist.

I think we'll probably go with the BPA once again, although I'm sure a #1 centre is on the top of the wishlist.

BIGGEST PLAYER AVIALABLE(sp ??)

Clearly the Habs will need to invite some LD's to the development camp or rookie camp. Next year in Hamilton the only LD we have under contract is Andre Benoit. Cote and Jancevski are UFA's, although Cote said in an interview he plans on coming back next year. There's hope that Emelin and Valentenko come over next year, both are LD's so if both are in Hamilton next year then that would be huge.

We should be stacked at RD next year. O'Byrne, Biron (rfa), Carle, Gleed, Archer (rfa), Groulx (ahl contract, free agent)

So I got to think the Habs will look at some Free Agents from the CHL and NCAA this summer, if not for Hamilton, for the ECHL to provide depth in case of injuries in Hamilton.

We are very, very short on LD's in our entire farm system. We could lose the rights to Korpikari this summer (he re-signed a 2 year deal with Karpat). That leaves, Cote, Benoit, Emelin and Valentenko as our only LD prospects.

We are very, very short on LD's in our entire farm system. We could lose the rights to Korpikari this summer (he re-signed a 2 year deal with Karpat). That leaves, Cote, Benoit, Emelin and Valentenko as our only LD prospects.

unless we draft some in the draft which more likely to happen.

I don't think that korpikari will be a great loss. what about korneev ?? do we still have his rights ???

The habs still have not of thier rights till June 1st.

:D

Edited by marky_and_komi

I may be biased here, but I've seen him play here for 4 years; and his numbers have improved every year. I'm talking about Jon D'Aversa who's a 6'2" 200 lb Dman who has an offensive upside. He's got good vision, and doesn't panic with the puck, and has an above average shot from the point. Yet with all this he went undrafted, maybe because the Wolves had Staal, and all the attention was on him, or scouts thinking he was riding on Staal's coat-tails...He's twice been selected to play in the All-Star game as well, in 05-06 and 06-07....

STATS

I forgot to add that I heard D'Aversa was offered a contract by the Pens recently.

I know he's been to camps in both Chicago and Columbus the last couple of years...

Like I said earlier, I'm surprised (with his numbers) that he was never drafted in the 1st place....even in teh late rounds. It's possible scouts never saw him, and in his draft years the Wolves weren't a real strong team....and of course everyone was looking at Staal.

STATS

good call Kanadian.

unfortunately, he wasnt signed by montreal but the pittsburgh penguins.

Unfortunately, I found the TSN link too. I wonder if Andre Savard had anything to do with it?