has gainey finished his shopping ?

MAK

The only reason Yashin hasn't signed in Russia yet is because ne KNOWS if he leaves the NHL, he will never be back.

If teams are already lowballing him with a decent season because of his lack of effort and attitude, then they will make no effort to sign him after a year away.

Here's some advice Alexei, go to Russia, show Perezhogin everything you know skill wise and then piss off and retire.

Gainey would appreciate it and that is likely the only time a GM will ever appreciate you....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would sign Yashin to a $3.5 million deal if I was a GM with enough room to fit him in...

You guys are all too busy slagging the guy due to the bias you have of him accepting a phenomonal deal THAT WAS OFFERED to him and then not being able to live up to it. Who wouldn't be overjoyed at the offer he got? It's probably more the GM's fault(Milbury???) then it was Yashin's...He had a pretty good first couple years in NYI, in line with his previous years, then, at the age of 31 his production started to drop slightly, maybe that's all he was, and again, most of the guys who produce at that level currently ARE making between $3million and $5million a year. Other then the 99 and 00 seasons he's basically been producing at the same PPG level in almost every year.

He's not a $6 million a year guy, clearly, but if you don't think he's worth as much as most 2nd line C's in the league you are all idiots. No offense.

Yashin is now a 50-70 point C with skill, he's also known as a half decent guy in the locker room. He disappears at times...so does Kovalev. It's the mark of many skilled forwards in the league. But to say that he's only worth $1.5 million is ludicrous. I GUARANTEE you EVERY single team in this league would sign him for that much if he'd accept it...and as a result, he'll sign for more.

JMHO

Edited by Zowpeb

He disappears at times...

Like in the playoffs against Buffalo when he was benched? The playoffs? :blink: The Captain? :blink: Kovalev at least wakes up in the postseason. If Ted Nolan can't motivate him...who possibly can? If BOb were to sign him - only one year please.

He disappears at times...

Like in the playoffs against Buffalo when he was benched? The playoffs? :blink: The Captain? :blink: Kovalev at least wakes up in the postseason. If Ted Nolan can't motivate him...who possibly can? If BOb were to sign him - only one year please.

I don't find much difference between him and Kovalev to be honest. I don't see Kovalev waking in the postseason - when he was counted to lead the team against Carolina after Saku went down, he didn't even score a point...

Yashin isn't going to get signed by the habs, either is Souray, which is what i thought what this thread was. Not bashing Yashin, who doesn't even play for the habs. Yashin isn't worth 5 mill +. he does produce more then Kovalev, i'll say it again, who cares is Kovalev may produce in the playoffs. The bottom line is they need to make the playoffs first before you can bash them. Atleast Yashin made it to the playoffs. Kovalev and Souray didn't.

Souray is completely over rated. At this point i would be shocked if he signs for more then 5 mill. His options keep drying up. Look for him to sign with a non-contender like the blues, oilers or soemone off the radar. He had his chance to back his mouth up, and as i predicted, he'll take the money and run. BG offer was too high i think and the habs landed a more complete player at the same offer as Souray.

I don't find much difference between him and Kovalev to be honest. I don't see Kovalev waking in the postseason - when he was counted to lead the team against Carolina after Saku went down, he didn't even score a point...

Even with the Sens and the Battle of Ontario, Yashin was pitiful. Corson shaddowed him perfectly. But Yashin's effort to get away from Corson was non-existant. I have a long memory.

I cannot advocate signing Yashin for the sake of appeasing those who want another UFA signing for the sake of it. Good thing BOb doesn't listen to the fans sometimes.

One year only if we must

I dont want to see Yashin as a Canadien any more than you do...he just would not fit well with this team.

Maybe a team like Atlanta? They should put him alongside Hossa and Kovalchuk...see how that works out.

If Yashin was your 2nd line C then it's a matter of who teams will shadow...Koivu and his line, or Yashin and his...

In Ottawa and NY he was THE guy...but I don't think he's a true #1 C. He always had opposing teams dropping their top checkers against him but as a 2nd line C he'd see that less, or at the least, it would open things up for Koivu and Pleks. He actually could fit here BUT honestly, I don't really care if they sign Yashin because I don't think the Habs need him all that bad...and if they wanted a C in this price range and of that production type calibre they should have went after Handzus who I believe is also better in his own end then Yashin.

The point is, there is no argument you can make that says this guys isn't worth close to 4 million a year as a 2nd line C.

Atlanta would be a decent fit. So would Washington IMO.

Edited by Zowpeb