Lahti - Smolinski - Lats

Streit - Lapierre - Begin

Extras: Kostopolous, Chipchura

Markov - Komi

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Boullion - Dandenault

Huet

Halak (Backup)

Ryder is gonna be gone, I highly doubt he plays another full season or even starts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a great feeling on D'Agostini...

I think he has about a 1% chance of making the Habs to many guys ahead of him even just prospects.

I thinks so too, but thats the way Matt wants it.

He has impressed in a big way since going to the Dogs (unexpectedly) and he could do the same at the Habs camps leaving no choices.

Latendresse was given no chance to make the team as an 18 year old and he was the best player there forcing their hand the next season.

D'Agostini has every intention of doing the same, except he's more experienced and older.

Edited by Habitforming

Grabs - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgens - Pleks - Kosty

Lahti - Smolinski - Lats

Streit - Lapierre - Begin

Extras: Kostopolous, Chipchura

Markov - Komi

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Boullion - Dandenault

Huet

Halak (Backup)

Ryder is gonna be gone, I highly doubt he plays another full season or even starts.

I'm not thrilled with the line combo's on paper, but where Ryder is concerned, I REALLY hope your right

S. Kostitsyn really blew a big chance to impress tha habs coaching staff.

He has passport issues and won't be attending this development camp (running now).

He better get them cleared up for the real camp if he wants to merit even a look during the regular season.

I am not too worried about sergei missing the developmental camp. I fully expect him to be at real camp, however. If he missed that it would be a really big deal and as his stock would need to rise almost meteorically to get on the opening day roster, missing camp would not take him out of the running for opening day, but probably also seriously impair his chance at getting "first callup" status.

All that being said, I am certain the passport issues will be resolved soon.

I can GUARANTEE the passport issue will be cleared shortly. He (or his agent) waited too long before applying for his visa. This is the delay...Passport Canada is severely backed up right now. So what normally would have taken a week, is now taking 8 weeks to sort out because of backlogs in the office. Most people at PC have been reassigned to help deal with the overwhelming number of Canadian applying for passports. Combine this with the manpower shortage at missions abroad and you have one very delayed and very dissapointed Lil'####.

It's not like this is Sergei's first Visa or passport, though. I realize he's now becoming a professional worker, but he should've been able to get this resolved much more expediently even with the delays. Valentenko got his done in time, and it's his first time he's had to deal with such issues.

Anyways, Sergei has been at the last 2 of these development camps anyways. Sure, it'd be nice if he had a 3rd, but I don't think it's a big loss for him as a prospect.

It's not like this is Sergei's first Visa or passport, though. I realize he's now becoming a professional worker, but he should've been able to get this resolved much more expediently even with the delays. Valentenko got his done in time, and it's his first time he's had to deal with such issues.

Anyways, Sergei has been at the last 2 of these development camps anyways. Sure, it'd be nice if he had a 3rd, but I don't think it's a big loss for him as a prospect.

exactly. So long as he's at camp in Sept, everything will be fine.

Got a great feeling on D'Agostini...

I think he has about a 1% chance of making the Habs to many guys ahead of him even just prospects.

we were all saying this about Latendresse last year remember?

Why do people seem so high on Lahti? Has he ever played in the NHL? Didn't we sign him as a free agent, meaning all 29 other teams could have taken him if they wanted... My guess on him is AHL at best.

As far as the line up goes, assuming no trades are made...

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Smolinski-Begin

Streit-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault-Bouillon

Huet

Halak

People seem to get so high on the idea of rookies coming in and taking spots from the vets, but if Chipchura was so ready, and Grabovski was gonna be a starter, then why'd we bother signing Smolinski and Kostopoulos? It's nice to dream, but we have to be realistic, don't we?

Why do people seem so high on Lahti? Has he ever played in the NHL? Didn't we sign him as a free agent, meaning all 29 other teams could have taken him if they wanted... My guess on him is AHL at best.

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault-Bouillon

Huet

Halak

People seem to get so high on the idea of rookies coming in and taking spots from the vets, but if Chipchura was so ready, and Grabovski was gonna be a starter, then why'd we bother signing Smolinski and Kostopoulos? It's nice to dream, but we have to be realistic, don't we?

Ryder Koivu Kovy will likely not work because it won't work defensively and because you're playing Ryder on his wrong wing. Chipper won't likely make the cut bc of Smolinski, but Grabs and Kosto play too completley different roles, and I think Grabs could make it if he plays really well out of camp and / or Ryder or another of the top line forwards is traded.

Ryder Koivu Kovy will likely not work because it won't work defensively and because you're playing Ryder on his wrong wing. Chipper won't likely make the cut bc of Smolinski, but Grabs and Kosto play too completley different roles, and I think Grabs could make it if he plays really well out of camp and / or Ryder or another of the top line forwards is traded.

Gainey and Carbonneau have both said though, that any rookie that makes the team will be there to play, and not sit on the bench... so my argument was more simply that, who would we sit? Who would lose their spot to an unproven rookie? It happens for sure, I just don't see it happening this year...

As for the Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev line... they are definitely a weak line defensively... I just loved seeing Kost, higgs, and pleks play together... :)

The reason people are high on Lahti beause it would not make sense for him to come over and play in the AHL and a lot of other teams wanted his servies so one would believe he is looking for regular NHL time.

I doubt Kostopolous is not in the regular line up.

As for S Kostitsyn he was not even invited to the camp I thought?

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault-Bouillon

Huet

Halak

It's all speculation, and you're right... at best 2 spots are avialable for youngsters at this point. As far as Lahti goes, he was avialable to everyone, yes, and he drew interest from other teams as well (Washington was reportedly close to signing him). He could only sign for up to the rookie max, though, and we did sign him at that price. So we offered the most (or tied for the most) and he chose us. There's plenty of reason to suggest a mid-twenties Finnish pro can crack a NHL roster... But he could also be sent to Hamilton if he needs time, he is on a 2 way deal, just like Grabovski and Chipchura.

Right now, there's one spot avialable, either Niinimaa's/Streit's D spot or Perezhogin's F spot. This was our lineup vs Toronto on Game 82:

Perezhogin-Koivu-Ryder

Begin-Bonk-Johnson

Latendresse-Lapierre-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Streit

Bouillon-Dandenault

Huet, Halak

Spares: Murray, Gorges, Aebischer, Leighton

Replace Bonk & Johnson with Smolinski & Kostopolous, and Souray with Hamrlik. Still no one has replaced Perezhogin, and we don't know whether it's a D who makes it (O'Byrne, Gorges) or a F (Lahti, Grabovski, Chipchura, Locke) or perhaps one of each (forcing a trade/demotion).

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault-Bouillon

Huet

Halak

It's all speculation, and you're right... at best 2 spots are avialable for youngsters at this point. As far as Lahti goes, he was avialable to everyone, yes, and he drew interest from other teams as well (Washington was reportedly close to signing him). He could only sign for up to the rookie max, though, and we did sign him at that price. So we offered the most (or tied for the most) and he chose us. There's plenty of reason to suggest a mid-twenties Finnish pro can crack a NHL roster... But he could also be sent to Hamilton if he needs time, he is on a 2 way deal, just like Grabovski and Chipchura.

Right now, there's one spot avialable, either Niinimaa's/Streit's D spot or Perezhogin's F spot. This was our lineup vs Toronto on Game 82:

Perezhogin-Koivu-Ryder

Begin-Bonk-Johnson

Latendresse-Lapierre-Kovalev

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Streit

Bouillon-Dandenault

Huet, Halak

Spares: Murray, Gorges, Aebischer, Leighton

Replace Bonk & Johnson with Smolinski & Kostopolous, and Souray with Hamrlik. Still no one has replaced Perezhogin, and we don't know whether it's a D who makes it (O'Byrne, Gorges) or a F (Lahti, Grabovski, Chipchura, Locke) or perhaps one of each (forcing a trade/demotion).

I guess that's why they have camp! :)

Very much agreed with your points!

I said my lines in my Gameplan so I won't bother repeating them but I think O'Byrne will make the team, Lahti will make the team though I'm not sure he'll start the season as a regular and Grabovski has a decent shot as a top 3 LW.

anyone have any video of Lahti playing? ... he seems to be getting lots of hype from ppl on the board and im just wondering why.. besides the fact that he's finnish and saku has a new friend.

is the only reason why o'byrne is slotted to make the team because Gainey said he should?

His regular season stats weren't that impressive.. his physical stature is impressive.

anyone have any video of Lahti playing? ... he seems to be getting lots of hype from ppl on the board and im just wondering why.. besides the fact that he's finnish and saku has a new friend.

is the only reason why o'byrne is slotted to make the team because Gainey said he should?

His regular season stats weren't that impressive.. his physical stature is impressive.

he might be able to pick up his offensive numbers yet, but his game is to be a physical, responsible defenseman, that can make the first pass.

Which young guys will crack the roster...

I believe both Price and/or Halak will be involved in the said cracking...I am certain the top brass are ready for all variables in the goalie dept...

D men..I believe Valentenko/Obyrne are the top contenders...again it all depends with camp and what the brass think...I do not want to seem like im going on a biron campaign or anything but he was our leading scorer for dmen in hamilton...and has stated his determination to make it with us...

Forwards...Is Lahiti really that young? he will have to prove his worth etc like everyone else...From what I have heard it is a battle between Grabovski and Locke...Again...If a player like murray goes down we will call up someone like chips ferland? or milroy..."promising 2 way guys..role players etc" if a skilled finesse player etc goes to injury then we will see call ups like locke or grabov..depending on their form...

All this said and done I am convinced Kosto (elder) is a lock on the 2nd line what have you provided he has a decent camp...

Just my thoughts!

I don't much get the Lahti hype either - there's been plenty of guys brought over from Europe who haven't made it past training camp..I recall a fellow by the name of Andrei Bashkirov who was drafted at age 28 and had a cup of coffee for MTL in the late '90s.;

Who will crack the roster ?

I'm more concerned about who will make roster "crack". Add Snapple and Pop if you wish.

I'm hoping for big gains by Komi, Higgins, Lats, Lapps,

I'd be surprised if Locke ever makes an NHL team.

He will make it somewhere, I have complete faith in him and he just needs the chance in a game...not in a camp/scrimmage.

He has the heart and the will to do it.

I did an interview with him a few years ago (after he was drafted) his determination and maturity really impressed me even then.

Who will crack the roster ?

I'm more concerned about who will make roster "crack". Add Snapple and Pop if you wish.

I'm hoping for big gains by Komi, Higgins, Lats, Lapps,

I love your signature.

Makes me smile everytime