The UN renovated? Or on the move?

JoeLassister

I learned the UN Headquarters might be renovated for 1,9$ billions but I found this article in the most credible online newspapers in the province of Québec, found it pretty interesting.

The link is only in french, if someone can find it somewhere else on an english website...

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20071020...-1/CPACTUALITES (pictures are available by clicking on "»» Voyez toutes les photos du projet")

I translated it with www.reverso.net . here it goes.

The federal government recently suggested to the UNO leaving New York for the Old-Port of Montreal, where a group of promoters(developers) of the public and private sectors imagined an ambitious project, noticed The Press in unpublished documents.

The Montreal promoters(developers) always hope to convince the UNO to move in Montreal, where a new complex would cost, according to them, cheaper than the renovation of the New York installations. His(her,its) interview(maintenance) would also cost 790 millions less a year, they assert. The sale of the ground of the UNO in New York would also get a considerable sum. The upholders of the project think that United Nations could knock down their decision because of the overtakings of arrested(dreaded) costs, delays and the lack of manpower to realize the works.

This project suggests welcoming in the same place United Nations, about 190 permanent missions and the offices of more than 4000 non-governmental organizations. The constituents of the complex would be connected between them by a monorail which would go(surrender) to the city center. The suggested site would occupy 65 hectares, is more than the park Lafontaine. In New York, United Nations occupy about seven hectares at the moment. In New York, United Nations occupy about seven hectares at the moment. The NGO and the missions are as for them scattered almost everywhere in the city.

According to the financial estimations with which The Press acquainted, it would cost approximately 790 millions to build the premises of the UNO distributed in five buildings from three to 12 floors. The cost of the buildings of the NGO, the missions and the delegations would amount to a little more than 760 millions and that of infrastructures to 492 millions. The whole project would thus affect approximately 2,2 billions.

The study estimates(esteems) the economic fallout in more than 2,4 billions thanks to the construction of numerous houses to accommodate it about 20 000 persons used(employed) by United Nations. The study considers that the arrival of the UNO to Montreal would create so approximately 60 000 indirect jobs. The annual effect on the GDP would be 2,4 billions and of 8,5 billions today in 50 years.

the conservative right in america WANTS the UN out, they hate the UN, the great modern day thinkers for the republican party have wished the a tsunami and hurricane on the place so that the place would be destroyed.

I never really understood why New York, when everything is back in the Hague. The US is ungrateful anyway.

the conservative right in america WANTS the UN out, they hate the UN

Not true, they just want the UN to stand up and do what they're supposed to do. The MO seems to be to continually put restrictions and ultimatums on countries, only to extend them and threaten them more. Diplomacy is great and should be tried to its fullest extent, but there comes a time when action is needed. It took how many years to do anything about Kosovo. How long will the problems in Darfur last? Why do countries that don't comply with UN resolutions get off with nothing more than more ultimatums?

Not true, they just want the UN to stand up and do what they're supposed to do. The MO seems to be to continually put restrictions and ultimatums on countries, only to extend them and threaten them more. Diplomacy is great and should be tried to its fullest extent, but there comes a time when action is needed. It took how many years to do anything about Kosovo. How long will the problems in Darfur last? Why do countries that don't comply with UN resolutions get off with nothing more than more ultimatums?

oh please, look at the grass roots of your party, they want UN out, the intellectuals in your party, Limbaugh, O'Rielly, Hannity you know the big thinkers, want it to disappear in NY. And then of course there's the ex UN ambassador who wanted half the building destroyed.

You've got to look at yourself first as a problem. For example, the US stops any legislation that they don't like from passing in the UN. The US is the problem here, not the "UN".

US doesn't like the UN because the US is afraid that the UN will become more powerful then the US.

the intellectuals in your party, Limbaugh, O'Rielly, Hannity you know the big thinkers

I wasn't aware that talk show hosts were suddenly intellectuals... :wacko: I think you just complimented three people you hate! :lol:

For example, the US stops any legislation that they don't like from passing in the UN.

Yup, the US is the only country that does this. ^_^

sarcasm.

but truly Rush has been raised to god like status now among the republican party. He is the "voice of republican thought".

Oh no China is just as bad, but the US takes offence to legislation like gun laws and gun crimes and women's rights because the US especially the Republican party have never cared about the well being of women. ever.

:rolleyes: Yup, republicans hate women. Give me a break. You are truly blinded by your hatred of conservatives.

they do, look at the history of your party post civil rights era. anti women, anti immigrant, anti non wasp, anti change.

I'm not blinded, I just know them too well. Same can be said for the so called "liberals" who aren't liberals but fancy themselves that they are these "radicals".

I'm just happy I'm out of the two party dictatorship of the US.

I fully support the idea to move the UN out of the USA. It's interesting that the push to do so, which originally came from the USA right wing, probably now has quite broad support around the world.

The only reason why I could think that the UN wasn't orginally in the Netherlands where all other UN locations are, is because Europe was in ruins after the second world war. But now that they're in hostile US, I don't see the purpose of the UN in America, a place that wants the building demolished, a place that doesn't accept the international rule of law. Move it back to the Hague where it belongs.