Carbonneau

lazy26

It's not just about pissing off the refs, but also when you're constantly whining and arguing, it lowers the team's morale - it's hard to be optimistic and keep your spirits high when the coach and everyone on the bench is arguing about the refs.

Well the same thing can be said about the players not working hard and taking dumb penalties. I'm sure that discourages the coaches.

It's not a player's responsibility to keep the coach's morale up.

But it's the coach's responsibility to keep the players' morale up.

Obviously, the players should be working as hard as they can and not taking dumb penalties but it's a coach's job to stay calm and be an example for the team.

Carbo just said on TSN:

"Some people complain that I play 4 lines too much, but that is the only way. It will help in the long run".

So there you have it, he wants to play four lines. Prior to that comment, he was talking about how the team has to work hard constantly to be successful. Hence, he needs to roll four lines to keep them fresh.

I would also suggest that he knows he has a small team and doesn't want to wear down his top players in the first 20 games, as we saw last year.

So while I hate watching the 3rd and 4th lines so much, I have to agree with his logic. This team is not going to win on talent, they have to win from hard work, outskating their opponents, and lasting all season. The only way to do that is to play 4 lines constantly. Besides, after our top 4 forwards, its is pretty much a wash on the depth chart.

Edited by brobin

While we're on the subject of Carbo and the refs, I don't think he's helped by the combination of voice and accent. I know it sounds silly, but when RDS miked him, they played back an exchange with a ref in which Carbonneau came off sounding quite cutting and snotty. But I think the 'problem' is partly one of manner and pronunciation - someone working in their second language is often likely to miss nuances such as the appropriate amount of emphasis to put on a word without sounding rude, etc.. Add to that a rather whiny voice and it's a bad combination.

Wow... There's players from about 9-10 different languages not English in the NHL. That has been the case for about 15 years now. Russians, Swedes, Czeks, Finns, etc. I'm sure by now refs are used to be yelled or talked to in all types of broken English. I dont think it matters much now.

Anyway. Carbo has been talking with refs his whole career. And from what I remember him as our captain, it wasn't too bad.

The problem is just Carbo being a well-known ex-player. Gretzky got the same treatment in Phoenix last year. Seems like refs love to put ex-players in their place.

So while I hate watching the 3rd and 4th lines so much, I have to agree with his logic. This team is not going to win on talent, they have to win from hard work, outskating their opponents, and lasting all season. The only way to do that is to play 4 lines constantly. Besides, after our top 4 forwards, its is pretty much a wash on the depth chart.

And the difference later is that you know exactly what you've got to fall back on past your top players if injuries or playoffs comes around. In pressure situations where everything is on the line, you need to have all your guys ready.