What kind of player is Gainey looking to bring in?

REV-G

I think Bob Gainey has proved to be a very shrewd trainer and judge of talent, with a few exceptions. Almost all the players he has brought in have worked well for a least a year, Samsonov being one of the recent exceptions. But getting Bonk, Mike Johnson and dumping Theodore's salary were all very good moves. This year he has brought in some good veterans and I believe this is really helping the younger players. At this point even Brisebois, who likely many had questions about, is doing well. I think he has gone so far in negotiating with UFA's but has maybe refused to open the bank and pay ridiculous numbers to players who might not give a good return for the duration of the contract. I believe Gainey is trying, and waiting, not for an older, just moving out of his prime player like Jagr, but I belive he is waiting to grab a middle aged impact player who can become the core of this team for years. I believe Gainey is beating the bushes to see who he can add that will help this team, not for a year or two but for the next 5 years. Marian Hossa. Mike Cammalleri or Patrick Marleau type players. I would take a Jagr but not if we have to give up too much of our future. We've seen Toronto's success over the years with trading younger guys and picks for older vets with bigger salaries. It has been a total failure. It will be interesting to see, if we continue to do well, who and when Bob Gainey makes his move.

we'll him sure he's looking for a big offensive center; but again, who isn't.

mid to long term I'm sure he's looking for someone to take michael ryder's place on the first line. I,m sure he would love to add a colby armstrong -like player to create room for either koivu or kovalev.

a vet D with size and grit would be wlecomed.

I think his #1 priority would be a top LW in the mould of Ryan Smyth, Scott Hartnell and Scott Walker, all of whom were UFA last year. A guy like that would really help us out, even more than a 1st line center would (I don't think our need at C is desperate).

A D upgrade over Bouillon would be good, but not necessary at this point, as we can get along fine without one. If we do add a D, it would have to be a big one who can handle bigger forwards down low as only our top 3 are able to do that effectively.

The gritty top 6, 20-goal LW would be the greatest addition for us though.

I also think that, lurking in the back of Bob's mind, is the problem of who will replace Koivu eventually. I like the way grabovski has been adjusting to the NHL, but unless he's got another two levels, he won't be that guy, and I don't think Pleks will either - although you never know. In the medium term (2-3 years) that's likely to become a gigantic concern. (It's also the underlying reason for wanting that elusive '#1 C' - not just to improve the team now, but to put us in a secure position going forward).

Let's face it, it's time for Ryder to move on, neither he nor the Habs want to commit to each other so trade hime now before we get 15-20 games in and he still only has 6-7 pts.

MTL - Ryder, Dandy, 2nd rounder (2008 Suspect draft year)

NYR - Jagr

Yes, I know it won't happen, and Dandy has been playing a tight game.

But just imagine Jagr and Kovy, AK taking Dandy's spot.

When was the last time you saw that type of scoring wearing the CH.

Let's face it, it's time for Ryder to move on, neither he nor the Habs want to commit to each other so trade hime now before we get 15-20 games in and he still only has 6-7 pts.

NYR - Jagr

I hear next year could be one of the best in a long time

Yep, if not the best ever, and that's without Tavares.

yet in 2003 it was an awesome year and we ended up with kostitsyn, urqu'hart and lapierre.

two in hamilton and one in the stands eating hot dogs and drinking terrible beer.

:clap: (sarcasticly)

But just imagine Jagr and Kovy

The only problem is that they're both right wingers...

AK46 is a late bloomer. He will develop in a good top 6 forward I'm pretty sure. IF we don't screw up like with perezhogin :wacko: Perez has 13 points in 13 games in Russia...

I don't want another winger who scores 20 goals a year. I want a star player. That's what we need. That's what BG and others in the org said they wanted to get during the summer. We already have top 6 players (we have 6-7 top 6 players) We need a "top 1" player. A real offensive leader.

Edited by Punkned

NYR - Jagr

Hahaha you think the Rangers would give him up for that ?? And to a conference rival?

Jagr has a cap hit of a top 20-50 player in the league but has the ability to be a top 10.