Price earns Molson Cup for October

Habsfan84

He wins the Molson Cup. That is huge considering that he didnt play that many games.

Here are the Standings for October

OCTOBER

Name Points

Carey Price 11

Tomas Plekanec 11

Cristobal Huet 10

Christopher Higgins 9

Mark Streit 6

Saku Koivu 5

Roman Hamrlik 5

Andrei Markov 5

Alex Kovalev 3

Guillaume Latendresse 1

Mike Komisarek 1

I'm assuming this is a points system based on the game's three stars? In that case, that's unbelievable considering he only played 4 games (and I think one of them might have been in November).

3 Stars selections never make much sense. All the Price hype propelled the selection. Even in the 4 games he played, he was not always one of the 3 best players out there.

Huet had a better month than him, as did Koivu, Kovalev, and somewhat Markov (if you go by the flash that 3 stars picks accentuate). This, if anything, proves how silly the 3 stars picks are. Plekanec was probably 4th or 5th best on the team, and maybe the 3rd best forward (him or Higgins). Price wasn't even the best goalie, let alone best habs.

IMO, it's more difficult for defensemen to get three stars selection than forwards or goalies. When a guy gets a goal and an assist, or stops 36 shots, it's pretty easy to give him a star. A guy who goes +2 and anchors a perfect PK rarely gets recognition in the star selection.

A lot of it has to do with expectations as well. A guy like Markov is expected to play top d-man minutes, play strong defense and give you something on O. Hamrlik is expect to give you great D, but if he gets a point it is more exciting. Huet is supposed to be super solid, when Price started out nobody really knew how he would perform on the big stage. To a large degree, we still don't. I don't think that anybody would argue that Price outplayed Huet in October.

Three stars are also based on who else had a good game on a given day. Imagine a game where Kovalev scores 2G +2A, Huet gets a shutout and Koivu gets an assist and a PP goal (wouldn't mind having this problem all the time!). On another day, Koivu is maybe the first star (3pts), but thanks to Kovalev and Huet, he is 3rd star(1pt). On the next day, Koivu gets the PP goal and the assist, but Kovalev goes pointless and Huet lets in 2 goals - Koivu might get first star for the "same" performance (obviously situational performance has significance).

That being said, great for Price!

EDIT: I could have just written "Ditto saskhab"

Edited by simonus

IMO, it's more difficult for defensemen to get three stars selection than forwards or goalies. When a guy gets a goal and an assist, or stops 36 shots, it's pretty easy to give him a star. A guy who goes +2 and anchors a perfect PK rarely gets recognition in the star selection.

Excellent analysis!

I still don't understand how Price could have gotten the Molson cup for October. Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid, but I would have given it to Koivu or Kovy!