Begin & Smolinski out indefinitely

Psycing

From TSN's Ice Chips:

Bryan Smolinski (out indefinitely with a right knee injury - awaiting results from MRI Friday) and Steve Begin (out indefinitely with a left shoulder separation) are out and will likely be placed on IR. When that happens, the Canadiens could call up replacements. Michael Ryder returns to his usual spot beside Koivu and Higgins after being a healthy scratch Thursday in Boston. - TSN

Guys Montreal can call up would be: S. Kostitsyn, Milroy, Grabovski, D'Agostini, Ferland.

With the Grabovski just recently being sent down, I wonder if they won't give a new kid a chance (D'Agostini or Kostitsyn). Milroy or Ferland might be guys they'd bring up since they play a more defensive role - but methinks waivers may be involved one way or another.

for now they wont call anybody. they already have an extra player albeit he's a Dman.

should they still call someone it'll be ferland or milroy or anybody that can bring energy and grit to the team.

If Montreal decides to bring up a kid rather than just let Streit play forward, I say bring up Sergei. I think he should be told immediately that this is a temporary callup. Supposedly Sergei is a bit miffed that he is sitting in the AHL while all his linemates from the Knights are in the NHL. Hopefully a chance to prove himself in the NHL might help his self esteem. The guy has just watched 3 teammates get called up before him (although only one is a forward).. I think calling up somebody else would be a big blow to his confidence.

I think Grabs sustained a minor injury in his first AHL game of the season, anyone know if this is true? That might take his name out of the running...

Gah, those things always seem to happen, don't they? You send a guy down, his moral drops and then he gets hurt.

I'd really like to see someone like D'Agostini or Kostitsyn get called up - even if it's only for a short spell. I'd rather have Streit playing D than Brisebois right now.

IF Sergei gets called up, I wonder if Carbonneau would play him with Andrei? It would tear apart the second line - but you could bump Latendresse up and have the Kostitsyns play with Chipchura or Lapierre. Still, that would leave the Habs without a second defensive line, something it seems Carbo likes to have around.

Anyway, I guess they'll use tonight's match as a marker to see whether or not they need to bring someone up.

I'd really like to see someone like D'Agostini or Kostitsyn get called up - even if it's only for a short spell. I'd rather have Streit playing D than Brisebois right now.

Id rather have Breezer on his appropriate side and Gorges in the lineup on the bottom pairing.

Markov-Komi

Hammer-Obyrne

Gorges-Brisebois.

Steit, to me, is more useful up front and then on the point on the PP (although i havent liked him in that role lately).

Gorges and Brisebois might be suspect, but i think if we limit their minutes it might work out alright...

I think we're one injury away from a call up. Why call someone from Hamilton to sit him? Unless Gorges is terrible and plays himself out of the lineup or an injury occur, I don't see why we should call anyone.

Well I would hope it wouold be S. Kost that gets the call.

He is tied for 30th in league scoring (3rd rookies) leads the team in scoring and is a +3.

well, they can't bring in a guy until somebody goes on IR/gets waived, right?

This opens a fair chance for a regular spot for Max.

We will see what are the holes to be filled, but i really hopes Smolinski is out for a long time.

And if he is out, Streit playing properly in offense, not on a first line. We still

have a good mix. Milroy would be my call up, why? because he is the best team player

in Hamilton, never gives up an takes is role on the ice and off the ice as a professionnal.

We will know tuesday for sure.

D'Agostini would be the only true candidate. Lever did say recently that Sergei Kostitsyn isn't ready. I can't fathom how they can demote Grabs and do a 180 degree turn on him quite so fast and bring him back. I suspect that any call up will not occur for some time. They have their roster limit so why create more of a logjam anyway? Chances are they might be trading so why rock the boat and bring up D'Agostini? XMAS is around the corner and the trade freeze will be on. Promoting D'Agostini may muddy that water as far as any potential deals are concerned, especially considering our overall roster limit. We're close to it after all.

D'Agostini can play in the A and get more experience versus being in the Habs lineup. That's why he's in the AHL, so he can hone his defensive skills and learn to play better without the puck.

Why would the Habs interrupt his conditioning? It's far more likely that they'll stand pat and not push the call up button yet. Sometimes it's a bad idea to call up a rookie and welcome him to the show and then send him back and say, "Sorry kid, Smoke and Begin are back, go suck it up and continue developing". Why get his hopes up? Plus, calling him up sends a clear message to your opponents that Begin or Smoke are injured for an obvious extended period. By sending this message, they might be admitting injuries. A practice most teams avoid like the plague.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see Matt called up.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

re grabovski: isn't there a minimum amount of time that a kid must stay in the AHL after being sent down? I know that rule exists in MLB, I assumed that it did in NHL.

I don't think there is a rule like that.

I think D'Agostini is next in line for a call up. Kostitsyn probably needs more developping in the minors, I don't expect him to be ready until next season. Keep in mind that he's never played without superstar linemates before. It's a whole different game, playing with NHL-ready guys in Juniors and then being a good but not great player on the farm, with mostly older players.

I don't think there is a rule like that.

I think D'Agostini is next in line for a call up. Kostitsyn probably needs more developping in the minors, I don't expect him to be ready until next season. Keep in mind that he's never played without superstar linemates before. It's a whole different game, playing with NHL-ready guys in Juniors and then being a good but not great player on the farm, with mostly older players.

UGH

You're not on that bandwagon too are you BTH?

You do know that S. Kostitsyn didn't play with Kane and Gagner right? Even before then he didn't play with Shremp and co. on the first line.

They were the first line and S.Kost had his own line. The only time they played together was on the PP units.

With that said he won't and isn't ready for a call up this season at all, maybe not even next season.

D'Agostini is my choice, and he has the most versatility which will likely be needed when Carbo moves him between the third and fourth lines for years.

UGH

You're not on that bandwagon too are you BTH?

You do know that S. Kostitsyn didn't play with Kane and Gagner right? Even before then he didn't play with Shremp and co. on the first line.

They were the first line and S.Kost had his own line. The only time they played together was on the PP units.

With that said he won't and isn't ready for a call up this season at all, maybe not even next season.

D'Agostini is my choice, and he has the most versatility which will likely be needed when Carbo moves him between the third and fourth lines for years.

He still played with them on the powerplay and his line was never focused on, he didn't have to play against the top defensive players on the other team. People use the same arguments to explain Kovalev's production in Pittsburgh (no, he wasn't on the first line, but Mario and Jagr took the pressure of of him). Kostitsyn still played on a stacked team and it's a lot easier to produce on a team like that then on an ordinary team.

131 points in, I think, 69 games? He's good but he'll never be a 90+ point scorer at a higher level (or on a regular team). I could see him being a 60-point man someday on a defensive team like the Canadiens and even that's optimistic considering Higgins has never even gotten close to that yet (but he should be able to any year now).

Listening to CJAD before the game, Carbo said that Kostitsyn would likely be the next call up. Of course, Carbonneau isn't alone in the decision making. Also important to note is that he was discussing the fact that S. Kostitsyn is the leading scorer in the AHL - maybe he said he'd be next based on stats alone (again, Carbo might not know exactly who is best suited seeing as his job is to run the Habs, not the 'Dogs).

Just trying to be unbiased... :P