Flames pick dies at home

rafikz

WINDSOR, Ontario -- Mickey Renaud, a centre with the junior league Windsor Spitfires, died Monday after collapsing at his home in Tecumseh, the team said. Renaud was 19.

Renaud, a fifth-round draft pick by the NHL's Calgary Flames, was taken to a hospital with no vital signs and attempts at resuscitation were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Roy Diklich said.

Renaud was pronounced dead in the emergency room at Windsor Regional Hospital, the Ontario Hockey League team said on its Web site. An autopsy was scheduled later Tuesday, police said.

Renaud, the captain, was in his third year with the Spitfires and had 21 goals and 41 points in 56 games this season.

"This is the biggest tragedy in Spitfire history," Windsor general manager Warren Rychel said in a statement. "Words alone cannot describe our pain at this time."

Renaud was to have participated in the team's Family Day skate at Windsor Arena beginning at noon Monday. His teammates were called off the ice.

"The entire Ontario Hockey League family is mourning this tragic news," OHL commissioner David Branch said. "We extend our deepest condolences to Mickey's family, friends and teammates during this very difficult time."

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound centre showed solid development last season, when he scored 22 goals and amassed 54 points in 68 OHL games.

Renaud excelled at penalty killing, finishing third in the league last season with six short-handed goals.

Mark Renaud, his father, played 142 NHL games with the Hartford Whalers from 1979-1980 through 1982-83, and 10 games with the Buffalo Sabres in 1983-84.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

always sad when someone dies at such a young age.

good luck and best wishes to his familly friends and teammates !!

Most certainly. He showed he had potential to make it. He still had his entire life ahead of him. :(

I wish his family all the best. Most importantly, RIP Mickey.

Most certainly. Even though he was drafted by the Flames, he showed he had potential to make it. He still had his entire life ahead of him. :(

I wish his family all the best. Most importantly, RIP Mickey.

Still gotta take a shot at the Flames even though someone died, huh?

My condolences to his family.

I'm a Person who lives in Leamington just 45 minutes away from Windsor.

I'm a huge fan of the Spits and I've watched this kid play. This is the most tragic thing that has happended to the Spits. They are susposed to cancel the Spits game on thursday. It's really sad news for the players of the Spits as most of them were really close with Renauld. Most of the players were seen crying after hearing this news. Even Ted Nolan didnt coach the first period of his NYI hockey game on Monday because his son plays for the Spits and was really emotional so Ted Nolan talked to him by phone. Other OHL teams canceled their practices because lots of players knew Renauld.

I was quite sad when I heard the news.

RIP Renauld.

The Flames wore #18 on their helmets tonight in his honour. Classy act for such a tragic event. My thoughts go to the family, friends and teammates.

Edited by lazy26

The Flames wore #18 on their helmets tonight in his honour. Classy act for such a tragic event. My thoughts go to the family, friends and teammates.

It was certainly classy on the their part. I'm glad the Flames were able to win for the kid.