Price has new pads, blocker, catcher designs

carey31price

I can relate to the glove hand issue, as you are sort of my age you must remember what it was like to catch a slap shot in the palm of those old brown Coopers. No fun.

I can relate to the glove hand issue, as you are sort of my age you must remember what it was like to catch a slap shot in the palm of those old brown Coopers. No fun.

Oh ya, GM-6, GM-12 & GM-21...those suckers hurt if you caught in the palm.

There was a picture of the pads in the Gazette this morning. Nothing flashy, I think they're fine.

As for Price, I don't think he'll wear out. After all, Kolzig, one of the examples of big goalies who've played into their late 30s, has "coached" Price in the past and mentored him.

Or slapshots just inside the knees back when the pads wouldnt close completely the 5 hole.

They were great for street hockey though. I remember playing with those felt/leather chest protecters as well.

The equipment now is like Riot gear. You only get hurt if you get caught in an unprotected area

You only get hurt if you get caught in an unprotected area

That is if you have good stuff ... Dont wear some Int. in Midget AAA lvl, Because you'll fell more pain than a pig in a boucher's shop

Edited by phrib

The new pads look to be longer, although they are the same width. In any case, his equipment can't be bigger that J.S. Giguère's in Anaheim.

Giguere's gear isn't that big compared to others.. something lots of people don't know is that JS has a small head.. Really small! not kidding.. and because of that the rest of his equipment looks just bigger..

Or slapshots just inside the knees back when the pads wouldnt close completely the 5 hole.

I had pads in Bantom that had no protection above the knee when I went down. They sucked. Winnwell if I remember right. Didn't have them long. Maybe that is why my knees hurt now? No, it is just one of many stupid reasons, that last of which was me folding the right leg sideways at the knee joint. Skate to underarm. I made the save! Drove 20k to home using left foot. grapefruit knee next day, torn ACL, MCL. Haven't played or skiied since. 8 years now and you wouldn't believe how much I miss them. Wife says I can play out with a brace. I am a goalie, always was. Play out? How do you do that? Going bunnyhill skiing soon. That will suck. Not even suppose to do that until I have the interior ligament shortened and refastened as there is no side support right now. Screw it, I am retired!

I had pads in Bantom that had no protection above the knee when I went down. They sucked. Winnwell if I remember right. Didn't have them long. Maybe that is why my knees hurt now? No, it is just one of many stupid reasons, that last of which was me folding the right leg sideways at the knee joint. Skate to underarm. I made the save! Drove 20k to home using left foot. grapefruit knee next day, torn ACL, MCL. Haven't played or skiied since. 8 years now and you wouldn't believe how much I miss them. Wife says I can play out with a brace. I am a goalie, always was. Play out? How do you do that? Going bunnyhill skiing soon. That will suck. Not even suppose to do that until I have the interior ligament shortened and refastened as there is no side support right now. Screw it, I am retired!

Ouch, I had one like that in the early 80's. Went down in the butterfly, made the save, froze it and got hammered by 3 players. My legs stayed in the butterfly and my body got driven down to the ice on my left shoulder. I tried to finish the game (no back up in a tournament), I did finish the second and start the 3rd, but we played the last 14 min of the third with no goalie. Drove home, went to the hospital and was out of action for 3 months with a really bad knee strain...it hurts just thinking about it!

Ouch, I had one like that in the early 80's. Went down in the butterfly, made the save, froze it and got hammered by 3 players. My legs stayed in the butterfly and my body got driven down to the ice on my left shoulder. I tried to finish the game (no back up in a tournament), I did finish the second and start the 3rd, but we played the last 14 min of the third with no goalie. Drove home, went to the hospital and was out of action for 3 months with a really bad knee strain...it hurts just thinking about it!

That really sucks. I have no stories like that to tell.