Just a note

ch_nl

Niclas Sundström just got married in Örnsköldsvik and Canadiens prospect Niclas Anger has signed a contract with a team in the Swiss leauge.

( Niclas Anger might not be called a prospect since he is in his early 30s.)

Originally posted by ch_nl

Niclas Sundström just got married in Örnsköldsvik and Canadiens prospect Niclas Anger has signed a contract with a team in the Swiss leauge.

( Niclas Anger might not be called a prospect since he is in his early 30s.)

Congrats to Sunny!

As for Anger, his chances of ever playing for the habs are very very low.

Originally posted by puck7x

As for Anger, his chances of ever playing for the habs are very very low.  

First of all, congratulations and all the best to Nik Sundström and his wife. :)

I guess the same will also happen to Mark Streit, the Suisse defenseman we've drafted lately. He will also never play for the HABS and the AHL is as good as the Suisse league ... so why should he also play for the Bulldogs, though he could earn much more money in the Suisse league?!

Come on. You can't mean that the Swiss leauge is as good as the AHL.

I rank the AHL as good as the SM Liiga in Finland and the Swedish Elitserien.

Players that are mediocre in Sweden are big names is other European leauges (maybe not in Finland, Russia and Czech Republic, but all the others.)

And thoose players would not be big names in the AHL.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Come on. You can't mean that the Swiss leauge is as good as the AHL.

I rank the AHL as good as the SM Liiga in Finland and the Swedish Elitserien.

Players that are mediocre in Sweden are big names is other European leauges (maybe not in Finland, Russia and Czech Republic, but all the others.)

And thoose players would not be big names in the AHL.

And that's why players like Peltonen, Nummelin, Petrov, Gratton (to only name a few) decide to play in the Suisse league? The Suisse league is quite good, they have lots of great players there ... perhaps it isn't that physical but it's surely one of the most entertaining leagues in Europe.

The German bundesliga is one of the better. But Elitserien, SM Liiga and the Russian leauge is better.

The reason why players choose to play in Switzerland is because of the money.

All available money in Sweden and Finland are used to sign former hometown players.

Just take a look at MoDo. If there will be a lockout MoDo can't sign every former MoDo player in the NHL. Why? They couldn't afford the insurance.

But if you still argue that the swiss leauge is as good as the AHL i think you and Klaus Zaugg would be a nice coupple.

The German league is one of the better?? Are you kidding me ... :wall: :-^

In the Suisse league there are lots of former NHL players and for example now they also got the AHL scoring leader of the past 2 years with Gratton. They all can easily play in the AHL but they decide to play in Suisse, as you said, mostly because of money. So why can't I compare the Suisse league with the AHL?

BTW: Perhaps you like the fagot Klaus Zaugg ... :monkey:

Klaus Zaugg is the worst hockey reporter. Ever.

It may be former NHL players in the Swiss leauge, but mark the word "FORMER".

In Russia, Finland and Sweden, players that could be in the NHL are currently playing. Swedens captain Jörgen Jönsson could have been one of the better Swedes in the NHL if he would have wanted to play in America.

Swiss teams can bribe players with money to get some stars but the overall quality is far from the standard in Sweden, Russia, Finland and the AHL.

But I do think that the standards are getting better and better for each year. So keep it up, but still, not as good as the other leauges in Europe.