NHL Awards handed out tonight

jetsniper

Quick rundown of the nominees plus my own predictions. Feel free to make some predictions yourself. Some of this will be a little skewed by my own bias. You'll see what I mean when you read it.

Hart:

Alexander Ovechking, Washington Capitals (No, thats not a typo)

Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins

Jarome Iginla, Calgary Flames

Prediction: This is hardly even a prediction. I'll be completely shocked if Ovie doesn't walk away with this thing tonight.

Vezina:

Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils

Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose Sharks

King Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers

Prediction: As much as I like King Henrik, I've got to give it to Nabokov. He was dominant all year and played a huge role in San Jose's success. He probably has the best glove in the league. Brodeur was good this year but wasn't dominant on a consistent basis like Evgeni was. I've thought the same thing about Luongo a couple years too and Martin still gets so who knows.

Norris:

Nicklas Lidstrom, Detoilet Dead Things

Celine Dion, Calgary Flames

Zdeno Chara, Boston Bruins

Prediction: Lidstrom again proving he's one of the best defensemen to ever play the game should have no problem winning another Norris. Chara's another one of my favorites in the league but I grudgingly have to give to the Red Wing. Celine is a pile of crap who should stop elbowing people and then saying he's good at hitting. Thats for another topic though.

Calder:

Patrick Kane: Chicago Blackhawks

Jonathan Toews: Chicago Blackhawks

Nicklas Backstrom: Washington Capitals

This one is hard to tell, it could easily go to Backstrom or Kane. Toews' injury kind of ruined his chance at it, otherwise he'd be the front runner. It's gone to the leading scorer the last few years so I'll go with Pat Kane despite Backstrom playing a big role in Washington's resurgence.

Lady Byng:

Pavel Datsyuk, Detoilet Dead Things

Jason Pominville, Buffalo Sabres

Martin St.Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning

I can never predict this stupid award. I kinda see this between Datsyuk and Pominville, I'll go with Datsyuk.

Selke:

Pavel Datsyuk, Detoilet Dead Things

Henrik Zetterberg, Detoilet Dead Things

John Madden, New Jersey Devils

I actually like Zetter's but Datsyuk lead the league in takeways and +/- so it's hard to argue against handing this to Datsyuk. Madden is only there because they have to nominate 3 people.

Jack Adams:

Guy Carbonneau, Montreal Canadiens

Bruce Boudreau, Washington Capitals

Mike Babcock, Detoilet Dead Things

I hate it when the coaches of the best team in the league get nominated after that team was expected to be really, really good. There has to be another candidate out there more deserving of a nomination then Babcock, Therrien maybe. In the end though, all three deserve to win this trophy. It depends what story you find more incredible, Washington coming out of nowhere mid-season to win their division or Montreal being the best team in the East. I gotta go with Washington and hand this thing to Bruce Boudreau.

Masterton:

Chris Chelios: Detoilet Dead Things

Jason Blake: Toronto Maple Laffs

Fernando Pisani: The Black Hole of Canada

So this one I had to read up on at NHL's site since I only know why Blake is nominated. Chelios was basically nominated because he's old. Hardly deserving but Pisani's recovery is worth noting. I still think I'll go with Blake though just because he donated money everytime he got a point. $1000 per goal and $500 per assist. Props to Jason Blake on that one.

Pearson:

See the exact same thing I wrote for the Hart.

Edited by jetsniper

Predictions.

Hart: Malkin

Vezina: Nabokov

Norris: Lidström

Calder: Bäckström

Lady Byng: Datsyuk

Selke: Datsyuk

Jack Adams: GUY CARBONNEAU

Masterton: Chelios

Leaster B: Malkin

most of the awards will go to detroit.

rookie: kane..wish it was toews but he was injured for too long.

Sportsnet has some award winners already listed (spoiler alert):

Pearson: Ovechkin

Jack Adams: Boudreau

Masterson: Blake

Selke: Datsyuk

Byng: Datsyuk

Calder: Kane

Oh kickass, I'd be 6/6 then.

So Phaneuf (Jets' favourite player) is totally shagging Elisha Cuthbert. More reasons to hate him.

You didn't know that? They've been at it for a couple months now. It's turned the Calgary Sun into even more of a tabloid. Another board I go to has nicknamed her "The NHL Bike". Haha.

Brodeur continuing to win these Vezinas is BS. I'd have gotten them all right otherwise though.

Brodeur continuing to win these Vezinas is BS. I'd have gotten them all right otherwise though.

that was truly based on reputation only.

that was truly based on reputation only.

I know, I think his last couple have been. It's getting ridiculous. I even told my dad (whos a Devils fan) that he won and he gave me a o_O look.

I hope this wasn't a peak year for Nabokov, now he really deserves one. He got ripped off.

I know, I think his last couple have been. It's getting ridiculous. I even told my dad (whos a Devils fan) that he won and he gave me a o_O look.

I hope this wasn't a peak year for Nabokov, now he really deserves one. He got ripped off.

he's playing out west, thats his problem.

I found the howe momment really ackward (sp ?) though I like the concept of honouring some for hi/ her contribution really great !!

he's playing out west, thats his problem.

I found the howe momment really ackward (sp ?) though I like the concept of honouring some for hi/ her contribution really great !!

Haha, yeah. Howe looked very uncomfortable up there.

As for the Vezina debate, Brodeur was the better candidate. The big difference for me is that Brodeur faced almost 300 more shots than Nabokov, but only allowed 5 more goals in the same number of games. Plus, Nabokov had a much stronger team in front of him than Brodeur did.

I'm giving out the winners of the trophies awarded this year.

yea I wrote them down as they were given out haha so here they are. Congrats to all the winners and runner ups as well.

See if your predictions were correct :P

2008 NHL award winners

Hart Momorial Trophy winner - Alexander Ovechkin

Presidents Trophy winner - Detroit Red wings.

Calder Memorial Trophy - Patrick Kane.

NHL lifetime achievement award (presented for the very first time ever) - First winner of it is Gordie Howe.

Norris memorial Trophy - Nik Lidstrom.

Vezina Trophy - Martin Brodeur.

Lester B Pearson Trophy - Alexander Ovechkin.

William M Jennings Trophy - Detroit Red Wings.

Frank J Selke Award - Pavel Datsyuk.

King Clancy Memorial Trophy - Vincent LeCavalier.

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy - Jason Blake.

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - Pavel Datsyuk.

Jack Adams Award - Bruce Boudrow.

Congrats to all, take care, and have a wonderful summer !

So Phaneuf (Jets' favourite player) is totally shagging Elisha Cuthbert. More reasons to hate him.

dont blame him, she's a poor actress at best. Komisarek is going out with the finest of finest...a quebecoise. maybe she can convince him of staying in mtl long term.

HOLY SHIT

2573612649_ed68fc33e6.jpg

One of the greatest defensemen the league has ever seen and the NHL can't even spell his name right. :lol:

LOL i know

saw that last night I was like wtf?

HOLY SHIT

2573612649_ed68fc33e6.jpg

One of the greatest defensemen the league has ever seen and the NHL can't even spell his name right. :lol:

As if we needed more proof that the NHL is bush-league. :rolleyes:

Congratulations to Nicklas Lidström. :wub: