Malkin

RobRock

I guess no one else has noticed this, but the Continental Hockey League has offered Evgeni Malkin $12.5 million tax-free per season to play there next year. According to TSN, that's the equivalent of $15 million per year.

Here's the things about this offer. Even the league is supposed to be operating under a salary cap, if reports are to believed, the league hasn't even played an official game yet and they are already breaking their own rules. But this offer is not coming from a specific team, but from the entire league. If he signs, what team does he play for? Are they going to chip into the pot, or do the teams that don't get him have to throw in a million or two a piece just because? If this deal goes down, then the Russians are playing with a completely new set of rules, and the NHL is going to have a new ste of problems on their hands.

And there's another thing. Most of the Russian league, which is basically what it is, is funded by oil money, which is soaring right now. What if, by some chance, the speculators that are believed to be driving up the price of crude oil right now, decide to cut and run and the oil prices drop to more reasonable levels? Now they're tied up in contracts that can't afford to pay (which was a concern for some teams in the old Russian Super League anyway), and you could have a bankrupt league on your hands. All these offers are coming from Russia, not the other European leagues.

He won't take it. Malkin has tasted what it's like to play in the NHL. The luxury of the Hotels and he doesn't have to play in some barn like he would have to in Russia!

ALot of players who went to russia during the lock out came back with a bad taste in their mouths!

Edited by Habsfan

I don't think it's about whether or not he takes it, it's about making a statement that they can pay players more than the NHL can.

• 1 month later...

So, Malkin will make "only" 984,200$ this season ? The 9.000.000$ contract starts next season ? I thought at one point that the new deal was taking over in 08-09.

So, Malkin will make "only" 984,200$ this season ? The 9.000.000$ contract starts next season ? I thought at one point that the new deal was taking over in 08-09.

Correct. Malkin's base salary this year is $984,000 (he can make up to $3,834,000 with bonuses) with the new contract going into effect next season.

Correct. Malkin's base salary this year is $984,000 (he can make up to $3,834,000 with bonuses) with the new contract going into effect next season.

great, he officially becomes the #1 pick in my next fantasy draft pool (we use a salary cap...)

great, he officially becomes the #1 pick in my next fantasy draft pool (we use a salary cap...)

I'm not sure how your league works but in the NHL the bonuses count against the cap so his cap hit would be something like 4 and a half million. Price's cap hit was 2.2M last year despite earning the rookie maximum.

Still, 4.5 mil for someone almost assured to be a top 10-15 scorer is a steal.

I'm not sure how your league works but in the NHL the bonuses count against the cap so his cap hit would be something like 4 and a half million. Price's cap hit was 2.2M last year despite earning the rookie maximum.

we do not include bonus. It is stricly the salary of the player who counts.