LCD or Plasma TV?

bombTHEice

I'm sure there are some technic gurus here ... simple question:

want to buy a new Full HD TV with < 100 cm .. my question now is, should I buy a LCD or Plasma one?

Thanks!

Will share my holiday money with my gf and so we decided to buy a new TV, already pissed that much at our WW2 old TV ... :P

I'm no expert, but your choice should be dependent on what you intend to do with your tv. Are you just going to watch tv, or do you intend to play video games on it as well?

I work at Leons Furniture and often hear the same question from customers. LCD's and Plasma's are pretty much on a level playing field now in terms of viewing hours, quality and price. A general rule is anything under 40" should be LCD (only LG and I believe Toshiba make plasma's smaller than 40"). I perfer plasma myself and would recommend trying to stay with the Panasonic and Samsung televisions. Leons Furniture (in Ontario at least), currently has the 42" Samsung Plasma on sale for $999. As well as the 42" Samsung LCD for $999 too.

Plasma's are terrible for gaming because it's really easy to burn the images into the screen. The Manufacturer's are getting better at fixing this but you still need a break-in period with brightness and contrast turned down (I've heard recommendations of doing this for around 100 hours of use)

However LCD is immune to burn-in so you won't have to worry about breaking in the TV or anything like that, you're good to go from the start.

If you plan on gaming at all then LCD is the way to go, if not then Plasma is the best bet.

Plasma's are terrible for gaming because it's really easy to burn the images into the screen. The Manufacturer's are getting better at fixing this but you still need a break-in period with brightness and contrast turned down (I've heard recommendations of doing this for around 100 hours of use)

However LCD is immune to burn-in so you won't have to worry about breaking in the TV or anything like that, you're good to go from the start.

If you plan on gaming at all then LCD is the way to go, if not then Plasma is the best bet.

As long as a Plasma has "Pixel Shifting" burn in won't be a problem. All new Samsung and Panasonics do have "Pixel Shifting" just make sure it's a new enough model to have it.

Sounds good goaler because I wanted to buy a 40" Panasonic Plasma ... so might buy the Panasonic TH-42PZ8E tomorrow.

Panasonic is a great brand. Their plasma's are top notch, if you plan on running High Def make sure you get all the right cables.

thanks for making this thread, i'm in the same position, will soon buy a 42''.

But Goalerexpert, over 40'', what is better ??

You will hear arguments for both sides but anything above 40" I say plasma. You can get a bit pricey with Plasma's 40" +. I've heard good things about LG plasma's and they are a bit cheaper then the high ends.

Pixel shifting does help but it hasn't totally fixed the problem, theres a still period of breaking it in.

Panasonic LCD's are ideal from a gaming perspective. They're the only LCD IMO made with the quality of a Plasma (so you won't get motion sickness or have it burn your freaking eye sockets) while not having to deal with the cons of Plasmas.

It depends how much gaming you want to do. If you're a casual player or even just have it as a hobby then Plasma is probably more ideal. If you're going to spend the majority of your time gaming like myself then I find it safer to stick with LCD. It's risk/reward really.

We surely don't play as much as we watch TV or films. So I think I'll stay with the Plasma choice for now.

Yea, will try to get a good HDMI cable for my XBox (suppose that's the best to play in FullHD or does the HDMI has some cons?).

I use a 60" Panasonic LCD for HDTV, XBox 360 and Wii. Fantastic experience, love it Only problem is that it is just old enough to not have enough HDMI inputs to run everything and I end up putting some stuff through via component cables. Still looks damn good via components...

I guess I can't really talk to Plasma, but I love what I got. Better than my dad's Samsung.

I use a 60" Panasonic LCD for HDTV, XBox 360 and Wii. Fantastic experience, love it Only problem is that it is just old enough to not have enough HDMI inputs to run everything and I end up putting some stuff through via component cables. Still looks damn good via components...

I guess I can't really talk to Plasma, but I love what I got. Better than my dad's Samsung.

Pimp my TV !!!

I was looking at LCD's and Plasma's last January and if you plan on watching any fast moving sports or action flicks I would go Plasma. Ultimately you need to sit and watch some TV's in the store, both on DVD and get them to run it off a non-split television feed. I found that I could still see some trailing effects on the LCD TV's...especially in hockey games when the puck was crossing the blue or red lines...apparently some people aren't bothered as much as others. I can tell you that it was enough to give me a headache whereas the Plasma's were perfect.

Panasonic, Samsung and Pioneer are all quality Plasma's.

One big downside to plasma is reflected light on the screen...so if you watch TV, in the day, in a well lit room with lots of windows you may have problems. SOME of them now have some improved screens to limit this greatly versus the original plasma screens...but you should look for this in-store as well.

I'd go Plasma 10 times out of 10. But so long as YOU are happy with what you pick, and you pick carefully, you'll be happy with the selection for years.

The life issue is non-existant IMHO. Even IF the plasma didn't last as long it's still going to last so long that by end of life you'd want a new tv anyhow.

One word: OLED. (organic light emitting diode)

They have very limited availability currently but they will be the next big thing. My advice is don't break the bank on the TV you're about to buy because you will likely want to pick up one of these bad boys in a few years.

No matter if you get a plasma or an LCD, make sure you get one that is the right size. Bigger isn't always better. If you get a huge screen in a small room it'll will be like sitting in the front row at the cinema. You will feel like you're watching tennis. What size of screen you should get depends on how far from the screen you will be sitting when you're watching.

One word: OLED. (organic light emitting diode)

They have very limited availability currently but they will be the next big thing. My advice is don't break the bank on the TV you're about to buy because you will likely want to pick up one of these bad boys in a few years.

OLED's are still in their infancy and won't be worth the money for at least another 4-8 years...possibly more...

Only difference between OLED's and LED's is that one uses silica and the other an organic compound. The emergence of LED's and their growth into other markets besides indicators and television is now straining silica supplies for everything from computers to TV's to general lighting. Hence the drive towards OLED as an alternative. There is some indication that OLED's may be better but not all LED manufacturers are as hot for OLED's as others...Sony is pushing it hard from the television side IIRC.

No matter if you get a plasma or an LCD, make sure you get one that is the right size. Bigger isn't always better. If you get a huge screen in a small room it'll will be like sitting in the front row at the cinema. You will feel like you're watching tennis. What size of screen you should get depends on how far from the screen you will be sitting when you're watching.

exact. One of my friend has a 52'' and his room is too small, my eyes could not see the whole thing. Another of my friends, with quite the same room space, has a 42'' : PERFECT. 42 is what I want.