TSN.ca & CNNSI Mock Drafts

puck7x

That is a very weird mock draft. They also have Bernier all the way down to 30th. But then again, this IS CNN. What the hell do they know about hockey?

Hmm, with Savard being a lame duck GM for the rest of the month (yet at the helm during the draft), I'm still curious if he'll try to move up, down, or around.

ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm going to be at a wedding on the 21st. Maybe I'll just bring my laptop to the ceremony and catch it online while I'm there...hehe.

I saw that mock draft... and decided it wasn't even worth posting with the # of stupid rankings in the list.

I also don't like mock drafts because it doesn't take into account teams trading up or down... and these new teams might not have the same needs.

But I guess this is the time for speculation and discussion... and this mock draft certain does spark a debate ;)

Everyone has us taking Parise... but the more I think of it the more I hope we take Phaneuf if he's still available.

Maybe just trading up a position or two could be worth it if it doesn't cost us too much.

I just try to remind myself that whoever we get he's gonna be pretty good, it helps calm me down.

If we take Phaneuf, we'll have 4 very solid defensemen in 2-3 years time:

Markov-Komisarek-Hainsey-Phaneuf

Do we want that? How about upgrading our forwards first?

Higgins-Ward-Balej-Plekanec-Perezhogin-Ryder-Archer-Beauchemin-Ryder-Zednik-Hossa-Ribeiro.

there's a good core in there

I dont know if CNNSI was WAY off with their picks, they seemingly fit into what The Hockey News has in its Preview and The Hockey News has a great reputation.

Anyways, my thinking if I was Savard at Draft day is to get Zherdov, if he's gone then try to get Vanek, once he is gone go after Parise, then if he is taken make a got check for Phinoff (spelling?) or Bernier, in the case for Bernier, we may be able to trade down a bit and pick up a current NHL'er.

He seems like a real player, not some little prick who doesn't know what it takes to excell in the nhl.

He's got all the tools, I bet a team will nab him before we get a chance. He doesn't seem to have too many flaws and has as much potential as anybody.

how bout ribs and 10th for next year's #1 and draft ovechkin.

2x better than zherdev IMO

remember, this year's draft is deep, which means the more picks, the better.

next year will be special, but only for low picks.

sooooooo...

trade up next year, but trade full stop this year.

quantity, not quality

Phaneuf scored 30 points (16+14) in 71 games with Red Deer this year with 185 pims and a +28 , he got 14 pts in 23 playoff games ....

But offense isnt Dion's game , he is a hard-rock bone crushing defensive d-man... The offense is a bonus (and it should improve next season)

BTW Newest Redline report : http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...-forwards_x.htm

8 ATLANTA ZACH PARISE, C, North Dakota (NCAA)  

He's an all-out hustler with offensive touch.  

9 CALGARY MILAN MICHALEK, LW, Budejovice (CZE)  

One of the top offensive prospects drops into the Flames' lap.  

10 MONTREAL DION PHANEUF, D, Red Deer (WHL)  

Possible blue-chip defender is a big hitter.  

11 PHILADELPHIA (1) DUSTIN BROWN, RW, Guelph (OHL)  

A heart-and-soul type with some offensive ability.  

12 NY RANGERS RYAN GETZLAF, C, Calgary (WHL)  

A grinding centre who loves to hit and shut stars down.

I'd bet the farm our guy will end up being one of these 5... but I'm not confident we'll go with a D-man.

(although I wouldn't mind it)

24 PHILADELPHIA STEVE BERNIER, RW, Moncton (QMJHL)  

A Mike Bossy type - suspect skater but a pure goal-scorer.

How hard would it be to trade up our 2nd rounder to grab him too around #20-25?

[Edited on 13-6-03 by Habs77]

Redline report on the d-men of the 03 draft....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...defenders_x.htm

No. Player HT/WT Shot DOB Team Projected

1. Braydon Coburn 6-5/208 L 2-27-85 Portland (WHL) First round

2. Dion Phaneuf 6-2/203 L 4-10-85 Red Deer (WHL) First

3. Ryan Suter 6-1/183 L 1-21-85 U.S. Under-18 First

4. Mark Stuart 6-1/218 L 4-27-84 Colorado College First

5. Brent Seabrook 6-2/227 R 4-20-85 Lethbridge (WHL) First

6. Shawn Belle 6-1/208 L 1-3-85 Tri-City (WHL) First/second

7. Alexander Sulzer 6-2/217 L 5-30-84 Hamburg (Germany) First/second

8. Kevin Klein 6-2/187 R 12-13-84 Toronto St. Mikes (OHL) First/second

9. Dimitri Kosmachev 6-3/205 R 6-7-85 CSKA Moscow First/second

10. Jim Sharrow 6-2/174 R 1-31-85 Halifax (QMJHL) Second

Are we going to follow NJ and NYI by getting a strong core on defense (Stevens, Rafalski, Neidermayer)(Niinimaa, Hamrlik, Aucoin, Jonsson), but drafting instead?

Defense in 5 years time

Komisarek-Markov

Hainsey-Phaneuf

Archer-Bouillion

?

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Are we going to follow NJ and NYI by getting a strong core on defense (Stevens, Rafalski, Neidermayer)(Niinimaa, Hamrlik, Aucoin, Jonsson), but drafting instead?

Defense in 5 years time

Komisarek-Markov

Hainsey-Phaneuf

Archer-Bouillion

?

Bouillon? ... God I hope not. lol , he'd ruin the entire sweet defense.

Didja forget Souray? I realize he isnt a lock to return to full heath but if he is healthy he is miles ahead of Bouillon , plus where is Rivet? I'm not his biggest fan (not even close) but he should be there ahead of Archer (who I have high hopes for)... btw you got the sides wrong , people hate it when I point that out though :) ...

Assuming we draft Phaneuf (who plays LD) ...

Markov - Rivet

Hainsey - Komisarek

Phaneuf - Archer

Souray/Korneev/Beauchemin/etc.

Not bad. Plus I'm sure I've seen Hainsey play RD before , which would give us more options (ex. removing Archer and replacing him with Souray)

Anyways we havent drafted Phaneuf yet (and who's to say we will? hehe)... So I'll stop right here.

7 Days until the NHL Draft!

[Edited on 2003/6/14 by puck7x]

Rosie (the Riveter) will not be with us after his contract runs out the way he was playing last year. If he is a changed man (after Canada), then he might still be here, but it is unlikely.

Sue-Ray will be a hard decision. If he continues to be injured, there will be only one thing to do with him. However, if he can come back and show everyone this season, I'll be very happy.

Dyke-house better not be back. Reverse can go to Hamilton, I won't mind (too much), but Dyke-house is gone. GONE GONE GONE! BEGONE, FOUL BEING!! OUT, OUT, DAMN SPOT!!!

Can-tell, well, he can play as a leader on the team. Maybe take the A (train:lol:) when Brisebois goes.

Breeze-By, well, we'll let that sort itself out.

Billion$ will also be a hard decision. I like his attitude, and then only thing hurting him is his size. I bet if he had Dykhuis or Traverse's size, he'd be awesome.

Beaut-chemical well, that'll sort itself out too. He's also a solid 6th-7th D-man

Archery is a wild-card. I hope that there might be space, but who knows. I can see him being traded to one of the expansion teams (NAS, ATL, CMB, MIN), but that might not be a good idea. BTW, what happened to Chris Dyment? Is he going OK?

Muck-off is set, Come-ye-SARS-ek is set, Hey-Zee is questionable.

So c'mon draft, give me someone to root for.

BTW, depending on the player, I want to have first dibs on him. Markov79 has Markov, KoZed has Koivu and Zednik (greedy), HossaRules has Hossa... But I want this 1st rounder

Maybe

:king:

Chris Dyment is a Minnesota wild, we traded him for a third or fourth round pick.

I see no way of us getting Horton, Zherdev, Vanek, Michalek, Coburn or Staal.

These players just cannot fall so much.

Katsitsyn and Jessiman would also be great choices, they are sleepers and Katsitsyn is the best offensive player in the draft(better then Zherdev) but his potential back problems mixed with his epilepsy will probably make him an LA pick since they have 3 picks and can afford to make a gamble. But Andrei has enormous talent and a lot of desire, id be very happy with him.

On Defense the player Id like more is Coburn, he is an unbelievable defensemen with Bouwmeester skating. Plus hes got a mean streak.

Anyway anyone in the top 60 can become superstars so this is the most important draft in recent history. Savard MUST outwitt everyone because we can potentially get 3 franchise players with our 3 1-2 round picks.

• 17 years later...
On 6/8/2003 at 3:13 AM, TheAussiePosse said:

how bout ribs and 10th for next year's #1 and draft ovechkin.

2x better than zherdev IMO

remember, this year's draft is deep, which means the more picks, the better.

next year will be special, but only for low picks.

sooooooo...

trade up next year, but trade full stop this year.

quantity, not quality

Lol 10th overall and Ribeiro for Ovi. Hahahaha