PP Proposal

RobRock

You forgot that 50% of the time they can't even get set up because of weak dump in to know where in particular, Kovalev tries to stick handle and turns it over at the blue line. Know one is willing to get dirty and get the puck.

I think that's the biggest issue of them all - zone entry. Don't get me wrong, everyone is clutching sticks too much in the zone as well, and choosing precisely the wrong play to boot, but we rarely have a concerted effort in the zone because we don't usually get good control in the zone. In fact, as Carbo said a couple of weeks back, when we are in the zone, we keep control fairly well, we just don't DO anything useful with it.

For the last two seasons our zone entry has been incredibly simplistic but has worked quite consistently and I wonder why we've got away from what was a reasonably effective set play. Someone would rag the puck to half way between the centre and blue line, then rifle it along the boards to ring it around the other side. (Rifling being necessary to avoid the goalie picking it off.)

On the other side of the rink, two forwards and one defender lined the boards. A deep attacker who would be first to the puck, usually just after it came around the corner furthest from the shoot-in, who either gained control or, more often, tied up a defender allowing the puck past. The second attacker, generally the centre, would then have the opportunity to corral the puck on the side boards or, if necessary, allow it to slide to the defender who had an easy play of swiping across the blueline to the defender on the opposite side.

Any way you look at it, there were a variety of options to gain control and with the cluster of players on the far boards, passing options once control was gained. Of course, it required two important things: a powerful shot into the corner, and players willing to win battles on the boards. If you watch the PP this year, the shoot-ins have been significantly weaker, some players trying to finesse it in rather than just get the damn puck in.

And as for winning the battles? Well, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that's the major reason the Habs don't have more wins. They aren't willing to win those battles. There are a handful of players who seem to go in and win more often than not, but the bulk aren't putting in the work necessary. The PP is lazy - having that same feeling of entitlement that fans have for the Cup. They expect to score, probably because of the perceived talent level, and therefore don't put in the requisite effort to actually achieve that goal.

As for requiring a big shot from the point, I disagree. Yes, it's certainly one way of scoring on the powerplay, but let's be honest, when an opponent cracks down on that point shot, it gets neutralized to a large extent - our playoff last season should be proof enough of that. What the team requires (assuming control) is an intensity level proportional to the talent which will allow one-touch passing designed to open lanes. We can play with the best teams in the league in terms of talent, but we don't use it efficiently. The other element? A body in front of the net. We need someone willing to do the dirty work consistently.

You know, I see the team during practice now and again working on these fancy schmancy plays for the PP, and every once in a while one works. The thing is, no one play will ever work consistently. You have to have hockey sense and a desire in order to be successful. These guys have to think on the fly and then work their buns off to make things happen.

I will now reiterate, as my last point, the ultimate problem of any struggling powerplay, and I'll do it succinctly.

SHOOT.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My #1 PP would be:

Tangs behind the net

Kovy on his usual RW spot

Lats in front of the net OR higher up in the slot

Markov at his usual place

and ________ at the top of the zone

It's the _________ that is lacking. I disagree about a big shot not being required. It's not a garantee of success, but it does help moving the defensive box around and eventually breaking it opened. The problem is that you must be able to have plays down low to fully take advantage of the big point shot. If the Markov-Kovy-_____ cant get good chances, then you could send it to Tangs who now can try to set up Lats in the slot or Kovy for a shot with Lats screening/banging rebounds.

#2 PP would be:

Koivu behind the net / right wing corner

Plex on the left circle

AKost on the right circle/slot

Breezer at the right point

SKost at the left point

Nobody in front of the net. Basically this would be just so you've got two good, accurate shots (Plex/Kost) who needs to be set up by the 3 other guys. Nothing fancy, just one-timers. Saks can set up Plex across the ice or Plex set up AKost, etc.

I think that's the biggest issue of them all - zone entry.

I agree. I don't ever remember seeing this team have SO much trouble entering the offensive zone and then setting up. It will take them 90 seconds to enter and set-up and b that time, they only have 30 seconds left.

I agree. I don't ever remember seeing this team have SO much trouble entering the offensive zone and then setting up. It will take them 90 seconds to enter and set-up and b that time, they only have 30 seconds left.

True enough. The other teams know that 90% of the time Kovalev or Markov will try to carry it in, so they can double team those players and force turnovers. And like so many have said before, the dump and chase play of gaining the zone rarely works because no one is willing to fight down low to retrieve the puck.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fairly convinced, at this point, that the problems with the powerplay lie less in the execution and more in the confidence area. While the team does lack the so-called "pure" point shot that would seem to generate all the chances, I'd counter that they're actually a better powerplay unit than last year that's just severely under-performing.

For two straight years the Habs relied on the point shot. Relied. As in, come playoff time, that powerplay was less potent because teams prepared very specifically for countering it. This season we have far more individual talent all over the ice. Any one of five players can hit the net with a very good shot at any given time. We don't have the BOOM shot per se, but we have five boom shots, if you'll allow the typing to demonstrate the difference.

I think what's happened is that the PP has failed to score (whether through bad luck, posts, or an overachieving goalie) a few times when things were actually going well to the point that now everyone is playing with less confidence. If you look at the players, they *act* like they aren't going to score. Two or three games in a row potting a PP goal or two, and I have to believe that, with the talent available, this PP will just take off. These guys just have to stop GRIPPING their sticks and instead rely on the instinct and skills they have.

It's in their heads that they'll miss, or it'll be stopped or blocked, or it'll hit the post. They need a few successes and things will turn around very quickly. I know what that's like having played a team sport - I think anyone who's played a sport understands this feeling. Sometimes NOTHING seems to work. You have to just keep plugging away and work really hard. When it does work again, then it comes right back to normal.

In short, they have to get the attitude that they've failed before they've started out of their heads, they have to work really hard, and they have to keep shooting. There's too much talent there for this PP not to be one of the best. I really disagree that they need a BOOM at the point.

According to this article from RDS, Guy Carbonneau seems to think that the solution to our PP problems is to use all four lines on the powerplay, the Lapierre line in particular: PP Solution

Just more improvisation from our head coach who... big freakin' surprise... says that hard work is the key to success on the powerplay... I'm really starting to hate this guy, I had so much hopes for this season, but he's screwing everything up with his dumb decisions (like using Dandeneault as a regular), and his old-school ways that don't work in today's NHL...

Just more improvisation from our head coach who... big freakin' surprise... says that hard work is the key to success on the powerplay... I'm really starting to hate this guy, I had so much hopes for this season, but he's screwing everything up with his dumb decisions (like using Dandeneault as a regular), and his old-school ways that don't work in today's NHL...

Are you joking??? the Habs have 50 points in 38 games played(5th best record in the freakin' NHL). They are on pace to finish the season with 107 points, and yet you manage to complain about the coach??? I think you need to chill a little!

It's always easier to blame the coach. The same coach who had them #1 on the PP for 2 straight years. The same coach who basically hasn't had a full line up all year has them 5th in the league this year. Tha same coach who has brought work ethic to a team that had none.

As Habsfan points out, people need to relax on blaming the coach. This is the best coaching job since the mid 90's on this team. How quickly people forget how bad and lazy this team was for years.

I have an idea, put some blame on players, Kovalev hasn't done much this year, don't hear much complaining about that. Other then me i suppose.

GC isn't going anywhere, and he is right about work ethic, evry coach mentions it about the PP, you need to outwork your oppnant and good things will happen.

Are you joking??? the Habs have 50 points in 38 games played(5th best record in the freakin' NHL). They are on pace to finish the season with 107 points, and yet you manage to complain about the coach??? I think you need to chill a little!

I'm not going to get into this again in details, I've expressed my opinions on the Habs coaching several times before, but basically I'm just very disappointed with the way we are playing as a team. We have more than enough depth and talent on this team so that individuals can take turns carrying the team to victory. One night it might be Kovalev, another night it's Andrei Kostsitsyn, sometimes it might be Lang, lately some of our depth players have made the difference, and sometimes Carey Price saves our butts.

This can work fine during the regular season - and it did last season - but I mentioned before the playoffs while the team couldn't stop winning that we woudln't last long if we kept playing that way, and we were very lucky to even get pass the first round. Unfortunately I'm not seing any improvement with the way the team is playing collectively .

Frankly I haven't seen any kind of a system and some structure being implemented since Carbonneau became head coach over 2 years ago. As KoZed mentioned a couple months ago, it does take time to implement a culture and a genuine system throughout the organization, and I fullt agree with him on that. However I don't see any improvement about the way the team is playing, all the improvements I see on the ice come from better and more talented individuals.

Edited by CerebusClone

I think the #1 problem is the zone entry. I would give the puck to Kovalev for the whole 2 minutes, he seems to be the only one able to get the puck in the zone and calm the play and install something.

#2 is the big guy in front of the net, or not big, but willing to pay the price. Latendresse is the one.

#3 is the ____ like Kozed said. With Souray/Streit, the opponents HAD to put a guy on them to stop this massive weapon. Making it, that opened the winger, Kovy, and that was the key of the PP: guy on Kovy--- big Souray shot, guy on Souray--- big Kovy play.

It's always easier to blame the coach. The same coach who had them #1 on the PP for 2 straight years. The same coach who basically hasn't had a full line up all year has them 5th in the league this year. Tha same coach who has brought work ethic to a team that had none.

Actually I think it's a lot easier to blame the players, no research, no analysis, and no effort necessary... the team loses or plays poorly because the guys are all lazy bums... end of story... nothing can be done about it (otherwise it means the coaching could do something better and different).

The number one argument is favor of Carbonneau is the team record last season, or again this season... but last time I checked the players also lead the team to those records. So basically Carbonneau should get all the credit for the wins, but his hands are clean when we lose?

Personally I don't really about putting blame either on the players or the coaches... this is one big team put together by the general manager Bob Gainey, and it needs to work. Right now I'm seeing talent on the ice, a lot of will from players and coaches, but a lot of messy, improvised play. That tells me that either the strategies and game preperation are deficient, or the strategies are not well communicated and implemented. Either way the ball is in the coaches' court.

With this said it doesn't mean that players are perfect and flawless. The other day Patrice Brisebois took a chance and left the blue line in the offensive zone, and instead of covering him, Andrei Kostsitsyn skated lazily towards the Caandiens bench. If I remeber correctly that lead to a goal against us. This is a specific play where the player is to blame. However it remains the coaches' responsability - not to criticize him in front of the media - but to take him aside the next day, show him some videos, and make sure he learns from the mistake. Again this is a team effort, and coaches and players should work together.

#3 is the ____ like Kozed said. With Souray/Streit, the opponents HAD to put a guy on them to stop this massive weapon. Making it, that opened the winger, Kovy, and that was the key of the PP: guy on Kovy--- big Souray shot, guy on Souray--- big Kovy play.

At some point we need to change our strategy on the powerplay, not every successful powerplay needs a big, powerful shot from the point. Right now it seems we are trying to re-enact our success from the previous years by trying to replace Streit/Souray with anyone who has a half-dedent shot, when we should probably be doing some else, something tailored for the players we have now.

I thought it was Muller for some reason...

Muller runs the PK I think. It's funny, because Muller got more PP time in his prime than PK time, and Jarvis never would've been on the PP. I think they did it like this to know how the opponent would react to certain schemes.

Chris Drury a tenu à rendre hommage au Canadien.

"Ils s'en tiennent à leur système, a indiqué le vétéran. Ils le connaissent tous, même les joueurs qui viennent d'être rappelés. On le voit dans leur façon de jouer. Ils sont vraiment bien dirigés. Ils nous ont épuisés à Montréal et il nous ont encore épuisés ce soir."

Rough translation :

Chris Drury wanted to praise the Canadien.

" They are held in their system, indicated the veteran. They know it all, even the players who have just been called back. We see it in the way they play. They are really well coached. They exhausted us in Montreal and they have still exhausted us this evening. "

Edited by JoeLassister