Habs need to try to sign Crosby as F.A.

Habs13

Link

Miller: What happens to 2005 draft?

Gord Miller, TSN.ca

11/18/2004

When Wayne Gretzky entered the NHL in 1979, he did so without going through the National Hockey League draft.

And now it could happen again, a quarter of a century later, to much-talked about teen phenom.

With the NHL and the NHLPA still embroiled in their bitter labour dispute, it's quite possible that Sidney Crosby, and all of the 2005 draft class, could find themselves without a draft to go to.

"If there's no draft, no CBA at that point, we're going to have to explore our options," said Pat Brisson, one of Crosby's agents.

Click here to find out more!

"From a legal standpoint and a practical standpoint this is going to be a big issue if the season is cancelled in January and there is no draft."

J.P. Barry, who also represents Crosby, added,"We have people talking to experts in labour law and anti-trust law and they are getting opinions because we don't know what is going to happen.

"Can you have a draft when you don't have a CBA," Barry asked, before answering, "I don't think so."

"What happens to those players is up in the air right now."

The legal issues are considerable and could find themselves dragged through courts for months, if not years. Still, the prospect of Crosby and all of the 2005 draft class being unrestricted free agents is, at the very least, intriguing to a lot of agents.

"In hockey we're used to looking at free agents at 31, but if Sidney Crosby becomes an unrestricted free agent at age 18, it would definitely be the ultimate feeling," said Brisson bearing a wide grin.

No matter what happens, Crosby's handlers have reason to smile. If the lockout is settled, he'll be the number one pick in the NHL draft. If it isn't, there will be a long line of teams bidding for his services -- on both sides of the Atlantic.

He could sign with any European team, or sign in the American Hockey League as a free agent, and there's even talk of a new North American league starting up next fall and Crosby would clearly be the crown jewel.

Where won't Sidney Crosby play? It seems unlikely that he'll return to major junior hockey next year. Most people believe he's outgrown the Quebec Major Junior League. If the NHL returns next season withe replacement players, don't look for Crosby to play in that league, either. Crosby's people say that if NHL regulars aren't in the league, then he won't be either.

And then there was a post in the readers column that read;

"If Sidney becomes a free agent I am 100% sure

he will sign with the Habs. I live in Halifax and know that his bedroom growing up was a shrine to the Habs. Also it should be noted that his father was in the Canadiens system in the early 70's as a goaltender."

Reminds me of Lecavalier when he was a kid.. he was a massive Habs fan, too.

:hlogo:

Originally posted by Habs13

I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.. sure, he's talented but at what cost?

Of course it would be a good thing to get Crosby, at any cost... (Well within reason, lol) .

He should dominate the NHL over the next 2 decades... Its not a certainty, but its a pretty safe bet imo. This is coming from someone who's seen him play in 10+ games (televised). And has followed his career for a few years now.

[Edited on 2004-11-22 by puck7x]

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by Habs13

I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.. sure, he's talented but at what cost?

Of course it would be a good thing to get Crosby, at any cost... (Well within reason, lol) .

He should dominate the NHL over the next 2 decades... Its not a certainty, but its a pretty safe bet imo. This is coming from someone who's seen him play in 10+ games (televised).

I agree completely!

Actually, I would go as far as to say at any cost required.

I wonder how many NHL GM's would have paid Gretzky anything he wanted if they had it all over to do again?

{I in no way intend to compare Crosby to Gretzky.......yet that is :) }

Crosby with the Habs? :o

That would be an amazing, unbelievable move. A work stoppage giving the possibility to sign Crosby, not having to draft him or trade to get him.. That's "legends" stuff. Crazy stories for superheros.. (like for Lafleur, Gretzky)

:ghg:

The only way out of the mediocrity is to try to take advantage of the lockout situation. Crosby and one other top prospect (preferably his buddy Jack Johnson).

You have to face up to the fact that their drafting sucks. Even when they get high picks they don't get the best player available. It doesn't require intelligence to offer big bucks to sure thing prospects. So they should do it.

Fire Andre Savard and the scouting staff to free up some funds, and just use the CSS to determine the draft. If they had done that for the past few years, they would be way further ahead. They are paying a bunch of goofs good money to make mistakes.

First of all, Crosby and the draft class won't become free agents. Do you honestly think the NHL would let that happen? From what I've heard, coming out of CSB, is that there will be a 2005 draft eventually. I covered that point in one of my more recent articles, here's the excerpt:

For those of you wondering about the status of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, here's the answer you're looking for.  In the event that the lockout wipes out the season, there are 2 ways the draft can go.  1) If the NHL declares an impasse sometime in the spring of 2005, the draft will be held as scheduled.  2) If the lockout extends through the draft and into the 2005/06 season, but is resolved or an impasse is declared before year's end, a draft will be held as soon as possible for the 2005 prospects, while the 2006 draft is held in June as originally scheduled.
Originally posted by Beckham

Fire Andre Savard and the scouting staff to free up some funds, and just use the CSS to determine the draft.

As for your other suggestion, I see one big flaw. Even if you fire someone who's still under contract, you still must pay them. And, considering Savard has 3 years left as assistant GM, while Madden and Timmins I believe also have multi-year deals, it would cost the Habs more, as not only would they have to pay their deals, they'd have to pay their replacements as well.

And besides, if teams could do that, how many coaches would be employed right now? 2 or 3 tops, as teams would fire their coaches to save money during the lockout.

Crosby and the class of '05 will not be free agents any time soon, so it's not worth getting your hopes up.

"One of your most recent articles" and $2 will get me a burger at McDonalds. The NHL has no control over amateur players while they are not operating and have no agreement in place. There are much more significant laws in the land than the ones a few fat businessmen make among themselves. Once he turns 18, Sidney Crosby can sign with whomever he pleases. Same with the others.

As for the second part, the team is still better off to pay those shmoes if they must, but not allow them to make any decisions at the draft table. If they followed the CSS ratings they would be much further ahead, talent wise. Call it the "Trevor Linden solution" where a team pays someone to NOT WORK FOR THEM. At one point there were 3 different NHL teams paying the President of the NHLPA to play for someone else. All of them were better off for it as well.

[Edited on 2004/11/24 by beckham]

Right to work laws say that an individual cannot be compelled to join a labour union in order to work. I don't understand how the NHLPA has been able to circumvent that so fark, but I think that it will be challenged and the control of the NHLPA will be negated within the next few months. There will be no agreement with the NHLPA because it is not in the best interest of the teams to have one. Period.

Apparently, at St-Hubert at the Bell center before the russia - LHJMQ game, Pierre Boivin sat down besides crosby with a bunch of papers :contract:, right in the middle of a TV interview.... Who knows, maybe Crosby will be part of the habs organisation one day. He has already said that the canadiens was his favorite team, the team he grew up watching... Also, his dad (Troy) was drafted by them in 1984 as a goalie. He never played a game though.

PLEASE come to Montreal Sidney, bring back some passion to this city!!!!!!:clap:

Originally posted by beckham

Right to work laws say that an individual cannot be compelled to join a labour union in order to work. I don't understand how the NHLPA has been able to circumvent that so fark, but I think that it will be challenged and the control of the NHLPA will be negated within the next few months. There will be no agreement with the NHLPA because it is not in the best interest of the teams to have one. Period.

The way the NHLPA and every other closed shop has circumvented that one is that the agreement with the NHL stipulates that in a player does not need to join the NHLPA but the NHL cannot hire a player without adhering to the guidelines set forth by the CBA. Basically, even if you dont pay dues you still are governed by the CBA (part of the CBA concerns mutual contributions to the players pension fund, the main capital base of the NHLPA).

It is important to remember that much of the CBA is for the owners' good. They would not sign an entirely one-sided contract (a fact that is proving more and more accurate for either side every passing day). It is not the NHLPA that mandates a draft, it is the NHL. How many teams would be totally ed without a draft and reserve system? The previous system was a territorial rights system where you got first dibs on players in your zone. Doubtful that the Lightening would have a cup, eh? It actually worked pretty well for the Habs (see Cup, Lord Stanley's), but is probably unfair to the NHL as a whole.

The habs dont have the right to sign whomever they want because they are a part of the NHL and the NHL mandates that they acquire young players in the same way that everybody else does - through the draft. Sure, they could hire Crosby to work for the organization, but he could never set foot on the ice.

Originally posted by beckham

"One of your most recent articles" and $2 will get me a burger at McDonalds.

First, I'll thank you to not imply my articles as worthless (the $2 McDonald's crack), or close to it. I put a lot of effort into my work, and if it's not appreciated, keep the comments to yourself. Now, on to some happier things: :)

Bonello said if this NHL season is wiped out, but hockey resumes sometime later in 2005-06, a draft will be held then.

"If there were to be an agreement, say January '06, we would have a draft shortly after that time so that we'd have it prior to June '06 when the next draft is,'' Bonello said Wednesday. "In other words, we would be very anxious to get a draft in so we don't miss it if that is the case.''

Source:TSN

This is where I got my info for my article. It does say that a CBA needs to be held in order for there to be a draft. And if there isn't, they will become UFA's most likely. But if that situation were to arise, the NHL would probably declare an impasse to get the league up and running again, to avoid not only this scenario, but a potential problem when all 2002 picks must be signed by the June 1st deadline. In my own view, the NHL will do everything in its' power to avoid Crosby becoming a UFA and going to the highest bidder, in this case, it will probably come in the form of an impasse. That, or the season could start up again for real, let's hope that happens.

As for the other issue, I wouldn't mind if the Habs brought in another voice for the draft table. Gainey should, and will get a bigger say in the drafts to come, while Timmins and Madden are 2 of the better scouting directors around; Madden actually was the GM of St. Louis for a brief period as well. But the way I see it, the more opinions, the better, as long as they don't get into an argument on draft day.

[Edited on 2004/11/25 by dlbalr]