Calgary wants JBo, so...

Takabru

They will not be able to afford Phoneuf, Regehr, Sarich and JBo. The Flames would be dumb to move Phoneuf and they would be just amazing with the combo of Phoneuf and JBo. So, as a Habs fan I am looking at this scenario and saying "why not put a package together to get Regehr?" He is a top minute, hard-hitting, solid defencemen who is only 28 years old and is signed for 4 more years. The next question I would ask myself is "what do the Flames need?" Well, this is easy actually, they need a decent backup goalie that can take some games from Kipper and not be a liability. Hey, I think to myself, the Habs have just that type of goalie in Jaroslav Halak. I know this would not be ideal for Halak since Kipper has 5 years left on his contract but Kipper is getting up there in age and if Halak performs really well, they could trade Kipper some time later. Now, I think to myself just Halak for Regehr would not work so what else do the Flames need without taking back too much in NHL contracts. They need some defensive depth. Hey, I think to myself we have that too. So, I would add Mathieu Carle and Ryan O'Byrne to the deal.

The Trade:

CGY: Robyn Regehr (4.02m CAP Hit)

MTL: Jaroslav Halak (0.75m CAP Hit), Mathieu Carle (0.850m CAP Hit), Ryan O'Byrne (0.942m CAP Hit)

I think this trade works for both teams and gives the Flames the cap space to go after JBo. It gives Montreal a rock solid d-man to play with Markov and when we resign Komisarek he can be placed in a more suitable role in the 3-4 position. We probably need to move Hammer or buy him out but that is for a latter discussion.

BTW: First time post so I thought I would get started with a bang.

Tak

P.S. The Flames could easily move a forward to clear the CAP space to sign JBo but I think this would be harder to do then trading Regehr.

If we can't get Komi back that would be a good "D" scenario.

A- Jay

B- Komi

C- Beauchemin

D- trading for Regehr (not saying that regehr is inferior to beauch or komi, just saying that trading for him is less tempting than getting a free ufa)

jay bo does log alot of minutes. he is NOT physical however,habs have enough of those players.against the pens this past season, he let crysby wlak in and score, without even bothering to wave his stick at him. very statuesque.lets get frankie from the ducks and send error prone and lucic shell shocked komi to long island.

Beauchemin has been plumped for a while now on these boards, I think when (not if!) we lose Komisarek we'd do much worse than to tempt Beauchemin back.

Trading for Reghr is a decent idea (better than the moribund Ohlind for sure), if we pair him with an uncompromising ass-kicker. I'd think the Flamers would want a young offensive-minded winger to replace Cammalleri should he walk in free agency.

Flames are more likely to trade Phanuef TBQH. Trade rumors are already in the papers, he was garbage all year.

Regehr was the teams best player from start to finish last season and plays Sutters game to a tee. They'd rather have Reggie then J-Bo. Cost is gonna be much higher then a back-up goalie and a couple depth d-men (they already have enough D depth)

Flames are more likely to trade Phanuef TBQH. Trade rumors are already in the papers, he was garbage all year.

Regehr was the teams best player from start to finish last season and plays Sutters game to a tee. They'd rather have Reggie then J-Bo. Cost is gonna be much higher then a back-up goalie and a couple depth d-men (they already have enough D depth)

Of course the trade for either would be more, but if they can't afford one of them, then they are the ones in the tight spot. That run they had at the end of the season, where the whole team played more than they should have because no more call-ups were permitted under the cap, really took a lot out of them in the playoffs I felt, and they simply can't afford to risk that again.

They'll have an interesting decision if it comes down to choosing in their d corps, PHaneuf had a write-off year but lots of young players do and bounce back.

I doubt they would ever trade Phaneuf, but imagine him paired with Komi.

Elisha Cuthbert? Is that you? :P

That sounds like a good deal, and I'd love to have a real physical d-man like Regehr, after our season with Komi the pretender. We'd probably have to sweeten the deal with a draft pick or cheap roster player. I'm looking forward to seeing what our revamped defense looks like next year, we need to get the right combination of skills and physicality to compliment Markov.