GDT: Canadiens vs Bruins (Pre-Season #4), September 20, 7 PM EST

Psycing

Was actually a pretty exciting game. Rask made the difference, he deserves a lot of the credit. We did pretty well considering we were playing with such a weak lineup and the only major player missing from the Bruin's lineup I can think of was Savard.

Desharnais was one of our best players, looking to pass Maxwell on the depth chart. Weber has looked good all camp. Pleks is looking sharp. Gionta is more impressive than I thought he would be. Sergei was quiet but didn't make any glaring mistakes either.

Edited by ForumGhost

I thought Benoit looked good out there, actually. He was flying and joining the rush. Good to see. Carle looked decent as well, though I'm just going off the 3rd. I didn't watch much of this game, admittedly. Carle kept things simple in the 3rd. I think they've both earned another game... sounds like Carle is playing tonight. I'm guessing both are going to Scotland this weekend still.

Sergei should be looked at in a checking role. I endorse that role for him.

totally random thought but I don't know where else to write it: I've heard absolutely nothing about chipchura this camp, and he hasn't played any exhibition games that I'm aware of. Anyone have any thoughts? is he not making the team? is it still too early? has the franchise given up on him?

Injured. He hasn't been given the green light to participate in contract drills yet. He's not in today's lineup either.

Injured. He hasn't been given the green light to participate in contract drills yet. He's not in today's lineup either.

With what I've seen from Maxwell and Desharnais at center and from White and Nielsen on the wing, without even mentioning Dago and Pac... I really am starting to think that Chips will either be traded or be lost on waivers.

thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why he wasn't getting any ice time at all...

With what I've seen from Maxwell and Desharnais at centre and from White and Nielsen on the wing, without even mentioning Dago and Pac... I really am starting to think that Chips will either be traded or be lost on waivers.

I hope not. I really had high hopes for him and this was the year I thought he'd make a dent. He's going to be a steady player somewhere...

I hope not. I really had high hopes for him and this was the year I thought he'd make a dent. He's going to be a steady player somewhere...

I'm a little bit worried that he turns out like another Craig Conroy story for us. But he has had a very very slow progression since jumping to the pros. 23 is still very young, but something's gonna have to happen. With every new season new kids are passing over him in the depth chart.

Lapierre stole what was supposed to be his "locked" 3rd line checking center spot, Latendresse & Pacioretty stole the LW checking role that could have been his alternative spot, Maxwell and Desharnais outscored him in their very first AHL season and are on a much steeper learning curve, Ryan White is also starting to knock on the door as RW but he's a natural C, and you've got Johansson, Fortier and Leblanc coming up right behind him.

1st round draftee status and junior hockey reputation can only lead you so far. At some point Chips needs to really prove he belongs in the NHL because he brings something more than any other prospects. Chips reached that point yesterday.

I missed the game as well..... how did AK look in his fight?

It was SK after a weird sequence of events

1-Lats hammers a Bruins

2-The Bruins revenges himself on SK

3-SK revenges himself on another Bruins

the 2 fights. not much of a fight.

I thought you couldn't fight with a visor helmet. Both had one and kept them until SK got his one ripped off.

It was SK after a weird sequence of events

1-Lats hammers a Bruins

2-The Bruins revenges himself on SK

3-SK revenges himself on another Bruins

the 2 fights. not much of a fight.

I thought you couldn't fight with a visor helmet. Both had one and kept them until SK got his one ripped off.

1- Lats hammered McQuaid

2- McQuaid nailed SK when SK was off his balance

3- SK got revenged by running over Lovecchio after he had lost his balance and was sitting on the ice.

I'm a little bit worried that he turns out like another Craig Conroy story for us. But he has had a very very slow progression since jumping to the pros. 23 is still very young, but something's gonna have to happen. With every new season new kids are passing over him in the depth chart.

Lapierre stole what was supposed to be his "locked" 3rd line checking centre spot, Latendresse & Pacioretty stole the LW checking role that could have been his alternative spot, Maxwell and Desharnais outscored him in their very first AHL season and are on a much steeper learning curve, Ryan White is also starting to knock on the door as RW but he's a natural C, and you've got Johansson, Fortier and Leblanc coming up right behind him.

1st round draftee status and junior hockey reputation can only lead you so far. At some point Chips needs to really prove he belongs in the NHL because he brings something more than any other prospects. Chips reached that point yesterday.

Chipchura had a very good season last year in the AHL. His game doesn't show up in the immediate stats, but he played the toughest minutes of any Bulldog forward, consistently matched up against the opposition's best players, and came out a plus player and with solid offensive production. Scoring isn't everything in this game, and it isn't what is expected out of Chipchura.

Lapierre didn't really "pass" Chipchura, either. Lapierre is a year older than Chipchura and had played in the NHL the previous year. Chipchura played 37 games, and got sent down, which is like what happened to Lapierre the year previous (he thought he had a spot guaranteed on the roster heading into camp). A spot hasn't opened up for him since, so Chips hasn't really had a shot to redeem himself.

He'll need to impress, no doubt, and it sucks for him he's injured and others have a chance to look good at his expense.

I thought Benoit looked good out there, actually. He was flying and joining the rush. Good to see. Carle looked decent as well, though I'm just going off the 3rd. I didn't watch much of this game, admittedly. Carle kept things simple in the 3rd. I think they've both earned another game... sounds like Carle is playing tonight. I'm guessing both are going to Scotland this weekend still.

Sergei should be looked at in a checking role. I endorse that role for him.

I thought Benoit looked awful. He made so many mistakes in this game, something to make Brisebois look like Ray Bourque. Agree that Carle played well in the 3rd, unfortunately, he was worse than Benoit in the 2 first periods.

Lapierre didn't really "pass" Chipchura, either. Lapierre is a year older than Chipchura and had played in the NHL the previous year. Chipchura played 37 games, and got sent down, which is like what happened to Lapierre the year previous (he thought he had a spot guaranteed on the roster heading into camp). A spot hasn't opened up for him since, so Chips hasn't really had a shot to redeem himself.

Lapierre was a late 2nd round pick (61st overall) that was projected to be a 4th line agitator at best. Lapierre was the 3rd line C on his junior team so there wasnt really that much expectations. The following year Chipchura was drafted in the 1st round 18th overall after slipping down because he was projected to go earlier. Chips came with a leader, physical 2-way center label attached to him à la Brind'Amour; and was reasonably projected to be the Habs' future 3rd line checking center, if not 2nd line.

5 years later, Lapierre is the Habs' 3rd line checking C, sometimes 2nd line C when Plex struggles; while Chips has yet to secure a regular spot in the NHL. The spot that people predicted Chipchura would have is filled by Lapierre. That's what I meant when I said Lapierre passed Chips and stole his spot.