Gainey open to negotiating with Plex and Halak

PMAC

I suppose one hope is that Spacek, moved to his correct side, would return to his Buffalo form and help fill the gap. That's a possibility, I suppose. Other than that - look out.

Actually I don't think that's too far fetched - given his form/contract I would give it a shot.....it would be great to get Spaceman going again! Hey, it helped Brisebois get from horrible to just mediocre.....

Pleks was also atrocious last season...and he doesn't have Hamrlik's pedigree of years of reliable NHL excellence. So by this logic, it would make *more* sense to keep Hammer than Pleks. (Which is not what I'm advocating; but the point is that the 'short memory' argument cuts both ways).

Hamrlik is overpaid, but 1) I don't think he can be easily replaced, and 2) I think we would miss him hugely. (Our D sucks now. Imagine it without our #2 D-man). I suppose one hope is that Spacek, moved to his correct side, would return to his Buffalo form and help fill the gap. That's a possibility, I suppose. Other than that - look out.

On more than one occasion I have stated my preference to keeping Plekanec as well as, Halak. However, I’m reading on this and other boards, Plekanec is rumored to be asking for $7 million. I have searched everywhere, and have found nothing to confirm this. Question two for Gainey, Will I get a better return for Price or Halak?. The first question is Plekanec.

If there is any truth to the $7 million rumor then he is looking too settle at the $5+ million, neither of which we can afford. So if I’m Gainey, I would be looking to deal today with Western conference teams that are in trouble today and will need help for next season. Columbus is one of those teams, and they have cap room (albeit self-imposed ). Would a offer of Plekanec and A Kostitsyn return Vermette a C/LW 27 years old with a $3.750.mil. cap hit for 5 years, along with a conditional 2010 first or second round pick. It’s realistic, and a possible option.

Halak or Price, without question Price in a package brings a much better return. More-so than ever, I’m still convinced St.Louis would be the answer for Gainey. I know this might be way out in left field but, would they ( LP and JD ) finally be willing to part with Erik Johnson 21 RD and Perron 21 RW/LW if we dangled Price, Hamrlik and S Kostitsyn. We may even get a good prospect to be included ( Andronov 20- 6’2” LW/RW for Hamilton) That way as just suggested, Spacek could return to his natural side. St.Louis has a very young defense and could use the experience of Hamrlik, and they have the cap room, the question is, would St.Louis be one of his approved teams?.

A option to look at that takes nothing away and adds some needed contracts would be to work a deal with Carolina, They have the rights to Babchuk a 6’5” RD with a ‘booming’ shot that just wont resign ( RFA ) with them, has twice jumped back to the KHL and wants to play NHL. We have the rights to Emelin that wont sign and come over for us. Perhaps a change of teams might bring them back. A small package of Weber, rights to Emelin and D’Agostini for rights to Babchuk and Jiri Tlusty a 21 LW/RW to rebuild our prospect wingers in Hamilton.

There are many that would like to stay the same, with no change and I respect that view however, without a change we will lose good players for no return and still face a financial cap problem along with needed contracts.

Is Plex in a slump right now or is this the old Plex we always knew or is Plex only capable when surrounded by star players?

Since AK went down Plex has not played very well.

Plex may just be in a mini slump but I still wonder about him.

Plex was playing well before AK46 started to play better.

with plex it got to come down to how much money his looking for and how long of a deal he whats...i think his a good player, but dont think his a game changer..

Pleks is finally showing signs of being tired. He's been the top C and PK forward for the duration of the season, and it's starting to show. Missing Andrei hurts, but I think having this time off will be beneficial to him.