GDT---Bulldogs vs Abbotsford Heat (GAME #3)---5/04/10

Lammy

hamiltonbulldogs430_50695.jpg

heat_58381.jpg

2010 Calder Cup Playoffs

North Division Finals

Game #3

Hamilton Bulldogs @ Abbotsford Heat (series tied 1-1)

Tuesday May 4, 2010

Puck drops at 10:00pm ET

Listen to the game live at www.talk820.com

GO DOGS GO!!!

Abbotsford has a 2-1 lead at the end of the first. Lets get it going Dogs. Benoit scored the lone goal thus far for the Bulldogs.

I hate 10 PM Bulldog games, no one way I can force myself to stay up until 12:30, 1:00 for them. The good news is that Hamilton won with a couple of real raw rookies stepping up for Hamilton. Joining Benoit as Hamilton goal scorers were Gabriel Dumont (1st career AHL goal in 2nd game) Olivier Fortier (1st career AHL goal in 5th game).

Desjardins with the win once again. I'm a little concerned with the PK though as the Heat scored on both their opportunities; Hamilton was 2/6.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1007299

More on Ryan White who took a puck to the face Sunday but returned in the 3rd:

“Right now we can’t really just count on the guys who were here (all year) or we’re cooked,” said Hamilton coach Guy Boucher. “We couldn’t continue to do what we were doing because (Ryan) White was out in the first period so I played those guys on every line.”

Boucher said White, who took a puck to the face in Sunday’s game which left him with huge gash that required more than 20 stitches, hadn’t been able to eat or sleep in two days and was totally dehydrated.

Talk about giving it your all, even if he was rendered unable to play early on in the game.

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/763310

I'm a little concerned with the PK though as the Heat scored on both their opportunities; Hamilton was 2/6.

Not just that, but despite having 4 more PP's than the Heat, the Bulldogs were outshot quite handily. I know they don't have all hands on deck (whereas the Heat do), but that's a little concerning.

Still, they have at least allowed the series to return to Hamilton. Get another win in the remaining two games and they'll have a chance to close it out in 6.

Not just that, but despite having 4 more PP's than the Heat, the Bulldogs were outshot quite handily. I know they don't have all hands on deck (whereas the Heat do), but that's a little concerning.

I wouldn't say the Heat have all hands on deck to be honest, they're banged up quite a bit actually. They're missing a couple of their top-10 scorers (Stuart, Smolenak) as well as a former 1st rounder (Chucko) and a good stay at home d-man (Negrin). Mind you, the Bulldogs are missing more guys but they are the better team which negates that. One thing's for sure, picking up Vernace at the deadline has turned out to be huge for the blueline, what with the injuries to Carle/Weber and Subban's recall.

They may be banged up, but they have the bodies to compensate for it.

I get the official Bulldogs AHL Game Notes for most games (the same ones that the press and the radio play-by-play personalities use on air for their stats) and the copy I received for Game #1 has 35 Abbotsford players listed on the roster. :blink:

They may be banged up, but they have the bodies to compensate for it.

I get the official Bulldogs AHL Game Notes for most games (the same ones that the press and the radio play-by-play personalities use on air for their stats) and the copy I received for Game #1 has 35 Abbotsford players listed on the roster. :blink:

They "Clear Dayed" (not really a word but it works here) basically any player eligible that was with them at some point in the year. Hamilton didn't because a lot of the guys they signed were PTO's (such as Kinasewich, Murphy, and Curadeau), those players were released and no longer had ties to the team.

I wouldn't say the Heat have all hands on deck to be honest, they're banged up quite a bit actually. They're missing a couple of their top-10 scorers (Stuart, Smolenak) as well as a former 1st rounder (Chucko) and a good stay at home d-man (Negrin). Mind you, the Bulldogs are missing more guys but they are the better team which negates that. One thing's for sure, picking up Vernace at the deadline has turned out to be huge for the blueline, what with the injuries to Carle/Weber and Subban's recall.

I was more referring to not having 3 of their best players because Montreal is in the playoffs PLUS the injuries. They really are limited. The Heat at least only have injuries they're dealing with.

I was more referring to not having 3 of their best players because Montreal is in the playoffs PLUS the injuries. They really are limited. The Heat at least only have injuries they're dealing with.

I take exception to the call-up rules. I suscribe to the theory that the best players should be on the ice at all times in all the leagues. There is no reason that Maxwell shouldn't be playing in Hamilton rather than sitting on the bench in Montreal. It's a goofy call-up rule aimed to give stability to the AHL rosters post season. What it does is punish teams that are have success with both their NHL and Ahl in the same year. On top of that, it doesn't protect players like Maxwell. In short the whole player call-up system is convoluted, and should be revised ASAP for next year.

I take exception to the call-up rules. I suscribe to the theory that the best players should be on the ice at all times in all the leagues. There is no reason that Maxwell shouldn't be playing in Hamilton rather than sitting on the bench in Montreal. It's a goofy call-up rule aimed to give stability to the AHL rosters post season. What it does is punish teams that are have success with both their NHL and Ahl in the same year. On top of that, it doesn't protect players like Maxwell. In short the whole player call-up system is convoluted, and should be revised ASAP for next year.

It's a CBA issue and the rule has been in place for a few years now. Until the new CBA comes into play, this rule won't be tweaked. An odd note is that there is a letter agreement in the late stages of the CBA that says the rule was still to be discussed - as that was over 4 years ago now, I think it's set for a couple more years at least.

It's a CBA issue and the rule has been in place for a few years now. Until the new CBA comes into play, this rule won't be tweaked. An odd note is that there is a letter agreement in the late stages of the CBA that says the rule was still to be discussed - as that was over 4 years ago now, I think it's set for a couple more years at least.

Do you know if Maxwell could technically be sent to Hamilton for conditioning?

Do you know if Maxwell could technically be sent to Hamilton for conditioning?

I couldn't say for sure but reading through the conditioning (13.8) and 4 Recall (13.12) parts of the CBA confirmed my gut feeling that it's highly unlikely. When a player is recalled from a conditioning stint, it's classified as a "recall;" this would probably count against the limit of 4 (which we've hit already). Again though, I'm not 100% sure on that one (though the fact that it hasn't happened yet suggests it may not be doable, I'm sure the organization would prefer to have him playing somewhere).