Regular season or play-offs....which one do you build for?

REV-G

One of the sports writers wrote this week that if the Montreal Canadiens played all season like they have in the play-offs they'd all be in traction by now, or something like that. The idea was that you couldn't play every game all season long the way they have been playing in the play-offs, and I think they're right.

My son and I were watching one of the games against Pittsburgh and he said to me, "I love play-off hockey, it's so much better than the regular season". And he's right. So should that be how teams build now, mainly for the play-offs. Other than making the play-offs is the regular season very important any more? Over the past week or two I've heard a few players say that all you have to do is get invited to the dance, make the play-offs, then anything can happen. What the Canadiens did in the regular season and how they made the play-offs this year is, at this point, forgettable and unimportant. Many said our smallish players couldn't make it through a regular season and then do well in the play-offs, they'd never be able to stand up against all the physical play. And so as of today, our smallish players have knocked off the top team in the east followed by the reigning Stanley Cup Champions, and are now in the final four out of 30 teams. So much for that theory.

When Bob Gainey hand picked this team last summer, was he just lucky or did he pick character players, with talent, who could come together at the right time and do some serious damage in the play-offs, as we've now done? Hal Gill was a good defenceman during the regular season, in my opinion, not outstanding. But after winning the cup last year Pittsburge let him go, we picked him up, and he's been a monster the entire play-offs for us and Pittsburgh likely would have done better with him. Built for the play-offs?? Because of what's happened in the play-offs this year, I'm beginning to wonder if we're right in making our goal to finish first in the regular season. Maybe we shouldn't kill ourselves to try to finish first, but have our main goal to make the play-offs and then go for the gold.

I've never really thought about this before, but is it possible to build a team that is geared mainly for the play-offs? Have we unintentionally done this, or is it simply that we're coming together at the right time. We've still had key injuries, but we're still winning.

For me, I think our team this year has changed my view of the regular seaon. As long as we're in the play-offs I'm not going to be very concerned about being in 1st. Our goal should be to have a solid hardworking team, with talent, so that when we hit the play-offs we can have years like this one. It's been so much fun! The best in many years. Way to go Bob!

You obviously build a team that can WIN in the playoffs, but there has to be enough grit, talent, and heart to actually get you to the playoffs.

I don't think that its a fluke that this group is coming together at the right time. When Gainey let half of the team walk and brought in a new core, he brought in talented players that are also winners. Gionta and Gomez obviously with their history together and rings. Cammalleri was one of the best kept secrets in the league before these playoffs, despite doing nothing but score since being in the league. Heck, I remember when BG signed Gill and Moen (rings) and I thought this is exactly what we need, playoff-type warriors. Then at the trade deadline, the only move Gauthier made was trade a second round pick to get Moore. It seemed pretty stupid and insignifigant at the time since he is UFA. But look who is playing solid and scoring clutch goals when we need them. So to reiterate, I believe that management had a certain vision when they put this team together and if you want to win the cup, you build a team for the playoffs.

You always build for the playoffs because the goal is the Stanley Cup.

If your team is built to succeed in the playoffs then it will translate to regular season success.

This season can't really be judged on their point total because they had so many new faces

and injuries that they never properly jelled.

You also have to take into account that they won two series, but a couple of bad breaks in

either one and they would be home right now.