Notes from Gauthier

dlbalr

Gauthier had a small presser today, quick highlights based on my iffy French:

- Timmins is staying

- Firing the scouts was not a cost cutting measure

- Fischer likely not to receive deal, though that's mostly speculation

- Habs won't stand in the way if Boucher wants to leave (no surprise there)

- Habs won't force Leblanc's hand as to where to go

- Increase in salary cap won't affect the Habs' direction

- Nothing new on the Plekanec front, appears to be in a holding pattern for now (a side note, his agent is saying his poor playoff performance will not drop his contract demands)

Full article here.

I sure hope they don't cave to Pleks.. he wants too much for a season where he tailed off late and played poorly as the playoffs went on. If he wants to sign for reasonable money, great. If he wants to first line "I will be even better next year money", then let him go. We can't end up with Gomez and Pleks signed for too much money, too little performance, and no way to trade them.

I always said it that they should have traded Pleks as well as several other players and get something back in return but they squeeze their cheeks too tight. We need a manager that can make decisions and give this team an identity and direction. Why don't we seriously consider trading Markov now that he is damaged goods and bring in a legitimate 1st or 2nd line player and a top 4 def. :clap:

I always said it that they should have traded Pleks as well as several other players and get something back in return but they squeeze their cheeks too tight. We need a manager that can make decisions and give this team an identity and direction. Why don't we seriously consider trading Markov now that he is damaged goods and bring in a legitimate 1st or 2nd line player and a top 4 def. :clap:

If Markov's damaged goods as you claim him to be, why would a team give up a legit top-6 forward and top-4 d-man? For the record, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of moving him outright, but considering he's out until late November at the earliest, he doesn't have a whole lot of trade value right now.

If Markov's damaged goods as you claim him to be, why would a team give up a legit top-6 forward and top-4 d-man? For the record, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of moving him outright, but considering he's out until late November at the earliest, he doesn't have a whole lot of trade value right now.

I suppose that anyone is tradable in principle. Nonetheless the idea that moving THE key player to our entire team's success is one that appeals more in EA Sports than in real life. Markov is the best defenceman to play for the Habs in almost 20 years. Enjoy what you've got.

If Markov is out until november earliest then I would agree that we should trade him before the deadline. As to resigning Markov to another multi- million multi-year contract no bloody way! I would rather invest all that money to fill other potholes. Same goes for Hamrlik and other aging players. :rolleyes:

If Markov is out until november earliest then I would agree that we should trade him before the deadline. As to resigning Markov to another multi- million multi-year contract no bloody way! I would rather invest all that money to fill other potholes. Same goes for Hamrlik and other aging players. :rolleyes:

And if the Habs are sitting in 5th place in the East at the deadline, solidly in a playoff spot, do you move him then? You can't just move pending UFA's every year, though there were instances they should have - I'm with you on Plekanec actually (I went on record saying several times they should've dealt him at the deadline). Mind you, with the success the Habs had in the playoffs, it softens the blow a little bit on that one. :)