Habs Rookies + Tournament

bar

Hey I had a quick question I was watching sportscentre last night and it was showing some NHL rookie tournament. I don't ever remember Montreal participating in it, is this true? Is it the same teams every year? If, they dont participate any reasons why people think they don't?

Hey I had a quick question I was watching sportscentre last night and it was showing some NHL rookie tournament. I don't ever remember Montreal participating in it, is this true? Is it the same teams every year? If, they dont participate any reasons why people think they don't?

Montreal used to participate in one with Ottawa and something like Tampa and Florida? Don't remember it too well, it wasn't as popular back then as it is now... and this was only about 4 or 5 years back. Then they stopped doing it, and just holding their own training camp instead of doing a rookie tournament.

The biggest rookie tournament is in Traverse City, Michigan, hosted by the Red Wings and has 8 teams. Ken Holland recently mused about making it 12 teams and getting TV coverage for it.

There's also some rookie games out in Penticton, BC between the 3 Western Canadian teams as well as the 4 team tournament in London, Ont.

These tournaments are all the rage on Twitter right now. The obsession of hockey fans is just growing...

I seem to remember a couple of yrs ago a young guns/rookie tourny with Habs, Sens And Laffs maybe I am still in a summer haze and my mind is playing tricks on me :unsure:

I seem to remember a couple of yrs ago a young guns/rookie tourny with Habs, Sens And Laffs maybe I am still in a summer haze and my mind is playing tricks on me :unsure:

The Habs had a rookie tourney at Ricoh three years ago.

I remember hearing the Habs opted to pull out of the annual tournaments as a result of some teams (namely Toronto) choosing to send most of their AHL team instead of their junior prospects. The idea of having 24 and 25 year olds go up against recent draftees wasn't too appealing to them - can't say I blame them.

I remember hearing the Habs opted to pull out of the annual tournaments as a result of some teams (namely Toronto) choosing to send most of their AHL team instead of their junior prospects. The idea of having 24 and 25 year olds go up against recent draftees wasn't too appealing to them - can't say I blame them.

Sounds like San Jose is pulling that routine this year.

They should just agree to a set of rules and go with it. Doesn't seem too difficult. And 25 year olds can still be classified as NHL rookies, we don't make distinctions there.