Carle traded for Mitera

Trizzak

By the way, Mitera would become our most expensive callup at $1,275,000 with bonuses being included on the cap.

Damn former 1st rounders...

From Hockey's Future:

A strong-skating defensive blue-liner, Mitera’s main asset is shutting down and neutralizing any attacking forward who might find himself in the big Michigan native’s sights. While not flashy, Mitera won’t hesitate to send an opposing player into the boards and send the puck back up the ice for a quick counter-attack.

A leader on and off the ice, Mitera will never put up gaudy offensive numbers, but he is mainly asked to prevent goals, rather then score them. He will need to continue to refine and polish his already airtight defensive game.

Will play in the AHL for 2010-11.

My take on Carle : trade him ASAP. His highest value is now. Next major injury (and we all know it's coming sooner than later) and whe're stuck with him for life.

cool.gif1clap.gif1gohabs.gif

Mark Mitera was picked 1 spot ahead of David Fischer in 2006. Hmm.

Seems like a Latendresse for Pouliot type transaction for 2006 d-men still in the AHL.

Mitera is a LD, Carle a RD. And Mitera has one year of his ELC left, so no worries about waivers.

Interestingly enough (to me at least), Mitera was the Habs' pick in our HW Mock Draft in 2006. This is the mini write-up we had on him:

The Habs need one thing, and that's defence. Yes, there are some bigger names on the board here, however, Mitera has the attributes the Habs like, good mobility, strong two-way play, and a solid work ethic.

For the record, Fischer wasn't in our first round (but Ryan White was at 21). He was ranked 32nd by ISS that year, as well as 20th by THN and 20th for NA skaters by CSB. The top end of that draft was good but after that, it fell off in a hurry; from reading through that mock draft briefly, I haven't heard of quite a few of these guys (which is odd as I wrote the mock).

So what's gone wrong with this Mitera kid? His scouting write-up looks promising, but he's obviously languished in the Ducks' organization. Any insights?

I haven't done a whole lot of digging on him yet but he had a knee injury in college that set him back a bit. When he turned pro (same season as his last college), his first AHL team wound up folding the next season which left the Ducks without an affiliate and him without an actual team to play for. He bounced around a lot in 2009-10 which set him back even further I think. Last year was the first time he played more than 43 games for a single team. I've also read that he fancies himself to be more of a two-way defenceman while at this point of his career, he's likely best suited for a shutdown, physical role. Having some stability with Hamilton on what should be at least a competitive Bulldog squad should give us a sense of whether this soon to be 24 year old has any upside left or if he qualifies as a 1st round bust.

I haven't done a whole lot of digging on him yet but he had a knee injury in college that set him back a bit. When he turned pro (same season as his last college), his first AHL team wound up folding the next season which left the Ducks without an affiliate and him without an actual team to play for. He bounced around a lot in 2009-10 which set him back even further I think. Last year was the first time he played more than 43 games for a single team. I've also read that he fancies himself to be more of a two-way defenceman while at this point of his career, he's likely best suited for a shutdown, physical role. Having some stability with Hamilton on what should be at least a competitive Bulldog squad should give us a sense of whether this soon to be 24 year old has any upside left or if he qualifies as a 1st round bust.

huh.gif What is a "whole lot of digging on him" for you ? An hour long interview with his parents ? Hidden cam ?

Exactly. In 2009-10 he bounced around between San Antonio, Abbotsford, and Bakersfield. Having some stability will be good for him.

huh.gif What is a "whole lot of digging on him" for you ? An hour long interview with his parents ? Hidden cam ?

Digging out old notes from my mock drafts, prospect magazines, online scouting reports and noting changes in the tone of those reports to get a better read on his progression or lack thereof. What I posted before is more or less going through a quick Google search and looking at his stats.

What's amazing is how much further ahead he is than Fischer ever was and he's still considered a bust.

I asked a scout about him and he thinks there's still 3rd pair potential (14-16 mins a night in the NHL) in him. We definitely could use a guy for the LH side in the near future more than a RH guy, what with Gill and Spacek both getting old and the RH side having Subban, Weber, Diaz and Gorges all well under 30. At the very least it'll be a healthy competition in training camp and Hamilton between Mitera and Nash. The Ducks probably wanted a RH guy, so they aren't completely relying on 20 year old Sami Vatanen as their lone call-up option there. The Ducks were apparently mad that Justin Schultz, who starred at Wisconsin last year, did not turn pro.

Montreal's right side for next year includes Subban, Gorges, Weber, Spacek and Diaz. Having two lefties that can play the right side is a real benefit there. Now the left side has Markov, Gill, Yemelin, Spacek, and Mitera/Nash (and potentially Gorges). There's a lot of options to run out there if the team gets in trouble on one side or the other. Does anyone in Hamilton switch sides? Looks like only two RHD with Diaz and Stejskal to start the year now, and 4 LHD with Mitera, Nash, St. Denis and Henry.

This might also be a money issue.... while Mitera makes more money if in the NHL than Carle would, he likely makes less money than what Carle was demanding for the AHL. It's possible there's more opportunity for Carle to make the NHL with the Ducks, but I don't see that as a guarantee with their defensive depth. I'm not sure how they evaluate it right now, or the readiness of Vatanen vs. the readiness we perceive in Diaz.

This might also be a money issue.... while Mitera makes more money if in the NHL than Carle would, he likely makes less money than what Carle was demanding for the AHL. It's possible there's more opportunity for Carle to make the NHL with the Ducks, but I don't see that as a guarantee with their defensive depth. I'm not sure how they evaluate it right now, or the readiness of Vatanen vs. the readiness we perceive in Diaz.

Carle turned down an offer of $726,000/$62,500 prior to the trade. I'm sure he was looking for a higher AHL salary (probably $105k) but above all, a shot with another team. The Habs will surely save money if Mitera stays in the AHL all year. From Anaheim's perspective, I think they wanted someone closer to the NHL than Mitera who still needs a fair bit of seasoning while most think Carle more or less has plateaued in Hamilton.

Carle was being passed over by several d-men and with Diaz, Yemelin and Weber signings i am sure he saw the writing on the wall, so Habs trade a Picard type d-man for a more defensive d-man.

See what the 2 Randy's can do with he and Stejskal's development in Hamilton this year i guess.

Carle turned down an offer of $726,000/$62,500 prior to the trade. I'm sure he was looking for a higher AHL salary (probably $105k) but above all, a shot with another team. The Habs will surely save money if Mitera stays in the AHL all year. From Anaheim's perspective, I think they wanted someone closer to the NHL than Mitera who still needs a fair bit of seasoning while most think Carle more or less has plateaued in Hamilton.

This guy must be good, because Anaheim flat out refuses to move him in NHL 11. Considering I was able to get Crosby out of Pittsburgh, I must logically conclude that Mitera > Crosby. rolleyes.gif

This guy must be good, because Anaheim flat out refuses to move him in NHL 11. Considering I was able to get Crosby out of Pittsburgh, I must logically conclude that Mitera > Crosby. rolleyes.gif

haha I had him on Hamilton in NHL 11 for a long time :P

I found it kinda creepy when I saw him get picked up :P

Edited by bbp

haha I had him on Hamilton in NHL 11 for a long time :P

I found it kinda creepy when I saw him get picked up :P

Hmm... maybe time to pick up someone else. Try Gomer for Crosby straight up?

Hmm... maybe time to pick up someone else. Try Gomer for Crosby straight up?

I traded Gomer for for Tomas Tatar and a high pick I think :P

In NHL Tomas turned into a 50 goal scorer hahahaha :P

I traded Gomer for for Tomas Tatar and a high pick I think :P

In NHL Tomas turned into a 50 goal scorer hahahaha :P

We had a huge fan of Tomas Tatar as HWL Wings GM for like 2 weeks. Then he left... sad.