Martin and the press

JCPetit

This isn't Disney Land. It's pro sports. You know, a multi million dollar business. Baby? Legs? Completely irrelevant. Coaches lose jobs all the time, at different times. It's the nature of the beast.

Agree.

If your baby doesn't walk in its first 12 months of life you don't cut the kids legs off.

Patience my friends..

Except this is basically the same baby as last season and the season before.

I disagree that the team is no longer responding to Martin.

When a team quits on its coach the results are disastrous, and that's not what we see here.

This is a team that is regularly out shooting and out chancing its opponents.  

Do we remember when the team quit on Carbo, and were losing games in Edmonton, Calgary, etc... by 5 and 6 goals a night.  Giving up breakaways left and right... and showing zero effort.  That was a team that quit.  This team hasn't.

That doesn't mean Martin's job is secure... eventually something has to be done cause this is a team with no confidence right now.  A team scared to lose, that doesn't know how to win.  And changing the coach might inject a little life. Just like when you pull the goalie even though he's done nothing wrong but the team in front of him is hanging him out to dry. Sometimes you do something just to change momentum.

admittedly, i can see that the ax is getting shined up for Martin - i believe a 6 game slump mid-season is a cause for concern, not time for a lynching. biggest problem here is the 6 game slump is at the beginning of the year. i've seen a lot of the games (thx to Lassiter ;) ) - and i was happy with much of the effort i've seen, just not happy with the results. at some point, Martin will be fired no matter how hard the Habs work IF there are no results. i still think it's too soon, but you have to figure that the team has to be at the .500 mark by the end of November or else he's done (whether he deserves it or not).

if there were a Boucher in the system, i might be more inclined to make the change - but - as long as we only hire francophone coaches and there are no better francophone coaches out there on the horizon (although Guy Carbonneau might be ready for a comeback!!! hehe), then i say stay the course, i'd give Martin until Christmas and then re-evaluate the direction for 2011-12, if it is a playoff year or a re-tooling year.

Funny we expect (or there's pressure) to have a fracophone coach........... WHY? So he can talk to reporters? Why can't we hire a guy with a proven track record regardless of his language preference. I really don't get it, if that's the case why isn't the lineup filled with just had francophone players?

I know it's been discussed here to death, but IMO it's [part of the problem] of the average teams we've iced. Along with the mid range draft pick and lack of pulling off a big deal and taking a chance once and a while.......

I'm done discussing this topic and our team play (until JM's GONE) .................... :wall:

Funny we expect (or there's pressure) to have a fracophone coach........... WHY? So he can talk to reporters? Why can't we hire a guy with  a proven track record regardless of his language preference. I really don't get it, if that's the case why isn't the lineup filled with  just had francophone players?

I know it's been discussed here to death, but IMO it's [part of the problem] of the average teams we've iced. Along with the mid range draft pick and lack of pulling off a big deal and taking a chance once and a while.......

I'm done discussing this topic and our team play (until JM's GONE) .................... :wall:

We assume it has to be a francophone coach, because that was stated publically as a team policy by Pierre Boivin, and the Molsons have also stated that they would continue said policy.It sucks. But it is what it is.

Interesting tidbit from Martin's press conference today: said the team needs at least 96 points to make the playoffs

1- interesting to see how many pts is deemed necessary to make the playoffs

2- it means we're already aiming at just making the playoffs mentality

http://www.rds.ca/zv2/

I love that you pointed this out.

Patrick Roy noticed this back when he asked for his trade, people talk about the Curse of Patrick but it should be called the curse of Corey Tremblay.