Morgan Ellis signs

Trizzak

Lots of prospects signed today around the league, there must be a reason as to why they preferred to wait until today.

Today was the first day entry-level contracts can be signed with first season being 2012-13.

Today was the first day entry-level contracts can be signed with first season being 2012-13.

I know that much, I mentioned it in the article. But, why not sign him yesterday and have the contract slide, shaving a bit off the cap hit?

Yeah but i dont get why that is better than signing a guy earlier and letting the elc slide and not facing 50 contract limit

Higher contracts like Leblanc and Avtsin lost 30K on their cap hit, Lefebvre and Mayer didn't even lose 2K with 2 years of contracts slides, Mayer even got up of 3.5K after the first season.

I don't think one way or another makes a huge difference..

I know that much, I mentioned it in the article. But, why not sign him yesterday and have the contract slide, shaving a bit off the cap hit?

50 contract limit, no?

Higher contracts like Leblanc and Avtsin lost 30K on their cap hit, Lefebvre and Mayer didn't even lose 2K with 2 years of contracts slides, Mayer even got up of 3.5K after the first season.

I don't think one way or another makes a huge difference..

That's a good point, Ellis should be on a lower salary/bonus so any sort of slide would be smaller. Still though, you could structure the deal to ensure you get a slide too to avoid what happened with Mayer. It's a minor detail but given that the Habs are almost always against the cap, every bit helps.