Rick Dudley officially named Assistant GM

thehabbit

Seems like a decent choice. He will bring his experience and connections to the table.

Dudleu, Bergevin, perhaps Mellanby.....seems friends really stick together in this league. My guess is Hartley is named coach within the next week or so.

I am far from being sure that Hartley would be a good choice. But let's face it, serious candidates able to communicate in French are difficult to find. I suppose that Hartley has good chances to get the job.

Hartley probably isn't going to get a good review from Dudley on their Atlanta days.

Bob Hartley: Coach of Atlanta, 2003-2007

Rick Dudley: Assistant GM of Chicago, 2004-2009

Am I missing something? What Atlanta days? Why do people keep assuming that Dudley and Hartley have a history?

Am I missing something? What Atlanta days? Why do people keep assuming that Dudley and Hartley have a history?

Looks to me, according to those numbers.. that they shared 2004-2007...

Don Waddell is the key link here, and he didn't have much praise for Hartley.

But Dudley was in Chicago?

That's a pretty weak link for people to speculate that Hartley is coming on.

I'm using it more to say they'd be anti-Hartley than pro-Hartley.

Plus Bergevin said at the presser today that he wants a coach who works well with young players and is a good teacher.... that doesn't sound at all like Hartley.

That sounds to me like someone who hasn't been mentionned much... the dark horse candidate.

DON LEVER

or

maybe Benoit Groulx

Out of curiosity, where is Don Lever these days? Could he be a serious candidate? Didn't he do quite a good job for us in Hamilton?

Out of curiosity, where is Don Lever these days? Could he be a serious candidate? Didn't he do quite a good job for us in Hamilton?

He did a great job in Hamilton.

Not sure where he was last year, but he spent two years coaching the Chicago Wolves after leaving Hamilton.

I've always liked the guy... but he faces the same issue he did in 2009, he doesn't speak French.

Great hire..now we know all the inside draft information from the Leafs, who are renowned for drafting and developing young talent! Actually, i is a good hire, a smart move by Bergevin to surround himself with experience.

He did a great job in Hamilton.

Not sure where he was last year, but he spent two years coaching the Chicago Wolves after leaving Hamilton.

I've always liked the guy... but he faces the same issue he did in 2009, he doesn't speak French.

Gainey expelled Lever in the Great Purge of 2009, and I theorize that that was because Bob held Lever partially responsible for the disproportionate number of 'problem' young players that came through the organization during Rebuild 1.0. That Gainey fired Lever but not Timmins suggests that, in his view, player development, not drafting, was a fundamental problem.

So one could question, based on this, whether Lever did in fact 'do a great job.' But given Gainey's appalling judgement vis-a-vis Pierre Gauthier, we can just as easily ask whether Lever was wastefully sacrificed. Oh well.

Gainey expelled Lever in the Great Purge of 2009, and I theorize that that was because Bob held Lever partially responsible for the disproportionate number of 'problem' young players that came through the organization during Rebuild 1.0. That Gainey fired Lever but not Timmins suggests that, in his view, player development, not drafting, was a fundamental problem.

So one could question, based on this, whether Lever did in fact 'do a great job.' But given Gainey's appalling judgement vis-a-vis Pierre Gauthier, we can just as easily ask whether Lever was wastefully sacrificed. Oh well.

Why would Gainey invite Lever to joing the coaching staff of the Habs if he felt he was doing a bad job. Seems like an odd move, no?

Why would Gainey invite Lever to joing the coaching staff of the Habs if he felt he was doing a bad job. Seems like an odd move, no?

Yep, I could be totally out to lunch. But Gainey took over as coach after firing Carbo, and brought up Lever as an assistant. I think that stretch as coach was an eye-opening experience for Bob - that after watching these guys up close in the trenches, he concluded decisively that the whole rebuild was fatally flawed and, among other things, that Lever was one part of the problem. After all, if he didn't feel this way, why fire Lever and the entire Hamilton staff that summer? Indeed, that Gainey fired Lever after working with him on the bench is a pretty resounding indictment of the guy...if, that is, we still trust Gainey's judgement. After the Gauthier fiasco I have certainly re-evaluated Bob's skills as a manager.

Yep, I could be totally out to lunch. But Gainey took over as coach after firing Carbo, and brought up Lever as an assistant. I think that stretch as coach was an eye-opening experience for Bob - that after watching these guys up close in the trenches, he concluded decisively that the whole rebuild was fatally flawed and, among other things, that Lever was one part of the problem. After all, if he didn't feel this way, why fire Lever and the entire Hamilton staff that summer? Indeed, that Gainey fired Lever after working with him on the bench is a pretty resounding indictment of the guy...if, that is, we still trust Gainey's judgement. After the Gauthier fiasco I have certainly re-evaluated Bob's skills as a manager.

I was personally hoping Lever would be given the coaching job because of his knowledge of the farm team and the young players we had in the NHL.

I don't think you're out to lunch at all, that prestige lies in the hands of Bob Gainey. He was off his rocker big time towards the end of his stint as GM.