Major Junior or CHL Hockey

Commandant

Well written sir.

I find it hard to even evaluate or try and compare play, when watching a Kristo or Bennett play i am always trying to equate to say a Gallagher or Dietz and which level of competition si strionger.

CHL has 16 year olds and NCAA has big 22-24 year olds.

Also a good example of hitting the wall was Brandon Nash in his 1st year pro eh.

Quailer/Pateryn will likley struggle some after new year in Hamilton also.

ON what level do you suppose is the SEL? somewhere between the NCAA and AHL?

The SEL is pretty close to the AHL in terms of quality of players, but the style of play is so different.

People think the big ice would create more offence, but just the opposite is true. Teams play even more defensive, clogging the middle and forcing all the play to the outside where the shots come from far away at bad angles and it makes for very low scoring.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering why Dietz/Thrower's Blades goalie, Makarov, went undrafted, when he was rated 3rd rounder or so? And i just noticed he is again on Russian Junior Team.

Why wouldnt he have been invited to Habs summer camp on a try-out? It aint like Habs are flush between the pipes.

Is "Russian Factor" perhaps why Makarov went undrafted?

Just wondering why Dietz/Thrower's Blades goalie, Makarov, went undrafted, when he was rated 3rd rounder or so? And i just noticed he is again on Russian Junior Team.

Why wouldnt he have been invited to Habs summer camp on a try-out? It aint like Habs are flush between the pipes.

Is "Russian Factor" perhaps why Makarov went undrafted?

Whitney was also rated a 3rd rounder and fell to the 7th round, I wouldn't say it was russian factor... something was up with goalies this draft.

Sure,

but almost every goalie is a crap shoot (lots of Raycroft 1 hit wonders have come and gone) and most are long term projects, so being passed over 1 year shouldnt be that big a deal i wouldnt think?

And Makarov stood on head at world juniors when he played in games that meant anything,

57saves in 1-0 loss in gold medal game, i thought would make him a lock to be drafted (especially when the guy he replaced went in 1st round)

He also had decent #s on a Blade team while icing barely 4 d-men, who were all playing almost 30 minutes/game at end of season due to injuries.

No big deal, just strikes me as odd is all, and maybe technically he sucks/ is not athletic enough/ or is just not a motivated kid?

Sure,

but almost every goalie is a crap shoot (lots of Raycroft 1 hit wonders have come and gone) and most are long term projects, so being passed over 1 year shouldnt be that big a deal i wouldnt think?

And Makarov stood on head at world juniors when he played in games that meant anything,

57saves in 1-0 loss in gold medal game, i thought would make him a lock to be drafted (especially when the guy he replaced went in 1st round)

He also had decent #s on a Blade team while icing barely 4 d-men, who were all playing almost 30 minutes/game at end of season due to injuries.

No big deal, just strikes me as odd is all, and maybe technically he sucks/ is not athletic enough/ or is just not a motivated kid?

If you take away the five minutes where Canada scored 4 on Vasilevski, he was by far and away the best goaltender at the World Juniors, Vasilevski and Kuznetsov were the only two reasons Russia got to the Gold medal game, Makarov played great in the final but Russia were getting shelled through the World Juniors. Vasilevski also had good numbers in the MHL

If you take away the five minutes where Canada scored 4 on Vasilevski, he was by far and away the best goaltender at the World Juniors, Vasilevski and Kuznetsov were the only two reasons Russia got to the Gold medal game, Makarov played great in the final but Russia were getting shelled through the World Juniors. Vasilevski also had good numbers in the MHL

Nothing at all against the other russian and scouts all rated him very high, just says something for Markarov to be trusted in Gold Medal game and totally skipped in draft?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...