Is the problem...LEADERSHIP?

ICEWATER77

I think the offence sputters because it is reliant on three lines all clicking. When they do, we are a very hard team to beat. When they don't, it can be touch and go. That's how we're built.

The team has seemed resilient to me, so I'm not sure leadership is a problem. But it's hard to know much about that without being privy to the dynamics in the room.

One difference between me and the negative Nellies is that I don't subscribe to this notion that unless you dominate for 60 minutes, you don't 'deserve to win.' I've seen a team that's lost a lot of first periods and won lots and lots of seconds and thirds. If you do that, you are not the 1978 Habs or the 1985 Oilers, but you certainly deserve to win.

Are we contenders? I don't think we're in the top echelon with Chicago or LA. But we certainly have a realistic shot to come out of the East.

That is only issue with thread is 'THE PROBLEM', is overblown and seems much too negative for a 1st place team.

But the leadership question is OK.

They lost back to back to a team that is tanking and in last place. This after five days off to prepare. Problem? nah

They lost back to back to a team that is tanking and in last place. This after five days off to prepare. Problem? nah

Buffalo is playing better lately man, not tanking vs Toronto, vs San Jose, and not against Mtl... they have won 5 of 6.

Buffalo is playing better lately man, not tanking vs Toronto, vs San Jose, and not against Mtl... they have won 5 of 6.

Yes i read that. They had won 3 outta 4 before they played the well rested Habs. After the habs lost to them on Friday you know they wanted to win at home saturday night. They has lost 5-0 to rangers then got beat by Sabres. They wanted that win last night, almost a must win...............and they could not pull it off. Teams are getting better as the season goes on. Sabres are one of those teams. Are the habs getting better as the season progresses?

btw........has Colorado won 3 outta 4?

really?! buffalo's good now? I thought we were the first place club? we have problems folks..yes, problems, as in more than one! our defense is slow as fk, gonchar is awful, weaver and allen are a disaster together, and don't even get me started on DD..but hey, he worked his butt off to make it to the nhl! BFD!! he's a 3rd liner at best

really?! buffalo's good now? I thought we were the first place club? we have problems folks..yes, problems, as in more than one! our defense is slow as fk, gonchar is awful, weaver and allen are a disaster together, and don't even get me started on DD..but hey, he worked his butt off to make it to the nhl! BFD!! he's a 3rd liner at best

lol... i said the same thing on last nights game thread......amazing that some hab fans didnt realize till today how many hab fans thought the buffalo sabres are a good team. But I guess they thought that all yeat..........it just never came up.

glad we sent JT and NB down............... D is unbelievably solid the old fossils

And Tinordi or Beaulieu have exactly what to do with Leadership?

Oh, pshaw, this is just more of the ol' axiomatic reasoning that proliferates around here.

For example:

1 it's axiomatic that Therrien sucks. So when the team plays poorly, it's Therrien's fault; when the team plays great, it's only a shadow of what it COULD be doing if we didn't have Therrien, or else is winning despite Therrien. (Because, apparently, we are the 1985 Edmonton Oilers - but see point 5 below).

2 -it's axiomatic that each and every high-profile young player in the system is always automatically "ready" to play big minutes. So whenever a young player doesn't, it follows that the Habs are fools who don't understand player development. (Think about that: Marc Bergevin, who handled player development for the FRIGGING CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS, doesn't understand player development).

3 -it's axiomatic that younger players on the big team are always awesome, but are being held back by poor coaching. So when an Eller or a Galchenyuk struggles and disappoints, it's never, ever their fault; see point (1) above

4 -it's axiomatic that DD sucks. So whenever he slumps, that's proof of who he really is. Whenever he scores 60 points, that doesn't count. Because he sucks.

5 -it's axiomatic that the Habs are a mediocre team, and so any time we lose a single period of hockey, that is "proof;" while when we go 9-2, that is a mirage.

Hey nice frickin word of the day, tis a new one to me, 'self-evident or unquestionable'. :thumbs_up:

Keep it in mind, because axiomatic reasoning informs about 80% of the posts on this site!

Hey chick, why do you allow DD so much slack? He gets all the quality icetime..don't you think he outta produce something other than secondary assists? You constantly refer to last seasons games 28-82 pt production. Ok then, Eller had a strong playoff, in fact he was our top forward...and yet, here he is..doing it again, with far less of an opportunity. Where's DD?

Hey chick, why do you allow DD so much slack? He gets all the quality icetime..don't you think he outta produce something other than secondary assists? You constantly refer to last seasons games 28-82 pt production. Ok then, Eller had a strong playoff, in fact he was our top forward...and yet, here he is..doing it again, with far less of an opportunity. Where's DD?

DD is slumping. It happens. I see him as basically a good if somewhat one-dimensional playmaker who happens to have excellent chemistry with our best forward and who has proven over years that he can reliably contribute on that basis. I agree that it'd be nice to upgrade, but don't see DD as some horrible Gomez-like problem, and I don't understand the urge to crap all over his head.

Eller has never done a damned thing except for 3-4 week spurts once or twice a year. Once he proves he can reliably deliver, then I'll be the first to sing his praises. Until then, I am a skeptic and refuse to make endless excuses for poor little Lars that all the mollycoddlers around here indulge in. The difference between Eller and Desharnais is that Desharnais wrings all the he can from a limited set of tools. Eller has tended to do the exact opposite - i.e., to be significantly less than the sum of his parts, as a player.

Does this question come up when we're winning six in a row? In other cities where hockey is less a "thing" does this question come up after a couple of losses? I don't get it, seriously. Is there some kind of need to drum up controversy and drama? You just have to think that, even if the Habs win 10 Cups in a row, someone will come out and point to the GM as deficient because we lost two consecutive games. All due respect, but this thread doesn't pass muster.

Seriously, with a little more luck and a less hot Enroth, the Habs beat Buffalo 7-3. Or so. And we're the cats meow again. If there was really a lack of leadership, we'd fold like a cheap tent when we got down. Ahhhh. That's where this comes from. Dave Hodge and his thumbs down to the Habs because when they lose, they lose big. Except the giant hole in Hodge's theory is that Montreal generally comes out with huge bounce back wins and long stretches of victories after a tough period. And Hodge is trying to sell hits. And keep his tenuous position as a respected journalist.

:rolleyes:

Personally this thread is not needed. There is no leadership problem. The guys work together support each have and apparently have great rapport in the room. I have watched Subban and Patches display great leadership when needed. Pleks and Markov are the quiet vets. perfect to me. I think this idea was MB's

Does this question come up when we're winning six in a row? In other cities where hockey is less a "thing" does this question come up after a couple of losses? I don't get it, seriously. Is there some kind of need to drum up controversy and drama? You just have to think that, even if the Habs win 10 Cups in a row, someone will come out and point to the GM as deficient because we lost two consecutive games. All due respect, but this thread doesn't pass muster.

Seriously, with a little more luck and a less hot Enroth, the Habs beat Buffalo 7-3. Or so. And we're the cats meow again. If there was really a lack of leadership, we'd fold like a cheap tent when we got down. Ahhhh. That's where this comes from. Dave Hodge and his thumbs down to the Habs because when they lose, they lose big. Except the giant hole in Hodge's theory is that Montreal generally comes out with huge bounce back wins and long stretches of victories after a tough period. And Hodge is trying to sell hits. And keep his tenuous position as a respected journalist.

:rolleyes:

ya could have "if'd" the habs right to the even more than "10 cups in a row" had you kept going. :nuts: