2015/16 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

more Brampton news-Mac Bennett returned to St. Johns

-Colin Murray acquired by Brampton in a trade with Kalamazoo (didn't say who or what for)

-Brandon Marino (on loan from AHL Utica) returned to the Utica Comets

-Jordan Henry and Zach McCullough reactivated off IR

The Marino return breaks my heart. Was looking forward to seeing him play with a healthy Scott Howes

Vincent Duquette is reporting that McCarron is staying up with the Habs for the rest of this season.

While that could very well be the case, it seems premature to make that declaration before actually playing him in this go-round.

While that could very well be the case, it seems premature to make that declaration before actually playing him in this go-round.

Also from Renaud Lavoie:

"Michel Therrien told us before the game he expect Michael McCarron to stay with the team for the rest of the season."

Also from Renaud Lavoie:

"Michel Therrien told us before the game he expect Michael McCarron to stay with the team for the rest of the season."

Well, I believe it more now. I still think it was way too premature to say that though. Personally, I'd like to see them rotate a few players which means calling one up for the duration makes it a lot harder to do that.

Well, I believe it more now. I still think it was way too premature to say that though. Personally, I'd like to see them rotate a few players which means calling one up for the duration makes it a lot harder to do that.

Or just trade DSP, Eller and DD and give their spots to Hudon and someone else.

Guest Stogey24

I always check on google, hoping to see DSP traded. As DlBalr said though, not too sure there is a market

I don't want many more up full-time. They can't all play big minutes and if they're going to be in a limited role, let them stay in St. John's and play big minutes there. If you rotate them (using the four recalls post-deadline), you can give a few different players a look and keep the farm team at least mildly competitive.

Speaking of the four recall rule, I'll be curious to see if someone like Ellis or Lessio gets 'papered' back down at some point tomorrow to retain their AHL eligibility for the rest of the season.

Brampton had a very nice comeback win today over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (Rangers affiliate) winning 4-3 after being down 3-1. The new acquistions played well and vet Scott Howes was back after missing 13 games. Former Blue Jacket Allen (sp?) York was in net for Greenville. Beast vet David Ling continues to amaze at age 41. Looking at his profile on hockeydb.com is the definition of Longevity

Brampton have signed former Sarnia Sting forward Jesse Stoughton (spent last four years in Ontario University ranks)

Morgan Ellis was sent back to St. John's today. That's a bit surprising although I guess they want to give Bartley a few games now and would rather Ellis try to help the IceCaps' anemic blueline.

just when things were looking a little brighter in Brampton, star player Scott Howes was suspended five games and fined an undisclosed amount for a rule 70 infraction Friday night vs Elmira. Sounds like he left the bench to join an altercation late in the game. Elmira won today 3-2 in an exciting game after Brampton goalie Ken Reiter whiffed on an offspeed shot to give the Jackals the lead. Beast came close to tying it up in the late stages. Exciting game anyways. Heard from a friend in Brampton that the city may be helping reduce the rent payments paid by the Beast

Brampton have signed Princeton University grad Kyle Rankin (F), a native of Kanata Ont

defenseman Dean Wilmott claimed by Brampton off Wavers from Adirondack. He played for Brampton last season. I think this will be the third ECHL team he has been with this season

I imagine Don it's the coaches, primarily Colin Chaulk who has had a lot of ECHL experience as a player and coach and GM Cary Caplan who was GM of the AHL Bulldogs back when they were Oilers affiliated. Turn over is crazy in the ECHL. Take a look at this years roster on hockeydb.com as an example. I think the goalie situation got complicated by injuries to Pitton and Cann early in the season plus I think a lot of us expected Wheeling goalie Frankie Palazzese (sp?) to be the Beast #1 goaltender this year. Instead he decided to stay with Wheeling (so must have signed a minor league contract with Wheeling's sole parent this year (Pittsburgh). Cann has had AHL experience with Cleveland but had expected to be the goalie for the Stoney Creek Generals in the Ontario Senior AAA league this season. The one that had me baffled was Eddie Pasquale. I thought he was a Winnipeg player and would have ended up with the AHL Manitoba Moose instead of Brampton and St. Johns.

Brampton just waved the white flag for the season. Have traded Chris Auger to the Allen Americans and Scott Howes to the Missouri Mavericks. Both of those teams are playoff bound whereas Brampton has pretty well no chance. Sounds like both trades are for future considerations (maybe getting them back next season is a possibility). See Team website or Facebook Page for more info.

• Upvote 1

Brampton signed F Tim Depretoro, a Ct College grad.

Brampton D man Tim Billingsley suspended one game - suplimentary discipline-something to do with a uncalled (!) boarding deal in the previous game

They're in tough against Orlando again today-2-0 Orlando with a couple minutes to go. Goalie Ruby Is playing well but Offence has dried up

The injury that Bournival's agent swore wasn't a concussion actually turned out to be, you guessed it, a concussion. The IceCaps announced that both he and Crisp (who it turns out has been dealing with a concussion since what, November?) are in Montreal for treatment and remain out indefinitely. That leaves Eisenschmid as the last of the 'mystery injury' players with Crisp's issue now known.

Michael Vernace is back in Brampton after a couple months with AHL Stockton. Brampton have also signed his brother Daniel, a grad of Lake Superior State.

With Beaulieu ready to return, Dietz has been sent back to St. John's. Again, this is CBA-related, not performance related.

The team also signed d-man Chris Joyaux to an ATO. He recently finished his senior season at Miami-Ohio where he was teammates with Montreal's bust-of-a-prospect Colin Sullivan.